Robert Elstone Speaks...

Just now, Click said:

I got a pop up notification yesterday to my phone about it, so I checked it out. There were a few polls, one was about scarves/hats, another was about pins, and the design of them.

If you go to the "polls" section on OurLeague, they should still be there. But they were hidden behind the "try of the week" poll.

just found them but had to go onto the app and search... i have notifications set to come on too... christ its hard work being an RL fan sometimes!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

I'm an Everton fan.

Believe me when i say, that is man is just a big bag of wind, wearing wet-look hair gel.

I think he is a real slime ball who goes with the wind at every moment....reminds me of Golem from Lord of the Rings.

I don't trust him.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I have worked with people like him before. The fixture list point was extremely underwhelming and nothing new really. He highlighted Easter (same as every other year), Barcelona (a Catalans initiative, the 2nd time they have been to Barca) and Magic, which had the same old fixtures and a really low crowd! Not sure why he didn;t highlight the season opener, which was one actual change and one that started the year well!

He is also excited about the re-brand to be fair, and I'm interested to see how it goes. Everything else is rather 'meh'.

His idea of a re-brand will probably just involve some minor tinkering.  I mean, he seems not to understand how having teams from big world-class cities like Toronto and New York in the game's top tier can help the game in London by increasing its profile and appeal there.

One of the problems with Robert is that he's extremely busy.

We have invited him several times to appear on RLBackChat to discuss Super League in depth, but he's always too busy.

He rarely returns phone calls, text messages or emails because he's too busy.

I was at a hugely enjoyable media dinner at Warrington last night, and part of the attraction was that Robert was supposed to be coming along. It was actually the main reason for me going.

But Robert ducked out of the event late in the day, because he was too busy, although great credit to the Wire for hosting a very enjoyable evening.

Sitting next to and chatting with Steve Price was a great consolation for not being able to meet Robert. Fortunately Steve wasn't too busy to be there.

So we can all be gratified to know that Robert is incredibly busy in organising and promoting Super League.

I just hope we see the results of his endeavours before too long.

6 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

We have invited him several times to appear on RLBackChat to discuss Super League in depth, but he's always too busy.

I was at a hugely enjoyable media dinner at Warrington last night, and part of the attraction was that Robert was supposed to be coming along. It was actually the main reason for me going.

But Robert ducked out of the event late in the day, because he was too busy, although great credit to the Wire for hosting a very enjoyable evening.

Sitting next to and chatting with Steve Price was a great consolation for not being able to meet Robert. Fortunately Steve wasn't too busy to be there.

So we can all be gratified to know that Robert is incredibly busy in organising and promoting Super League.

This guy should be dumped immediately so he can be 'busy' elsewhere. 

10 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

That's shocking! 

He's stealing a wage and the problem is nobody dare hold him accountable....for doing absolutely nothing. SL is a bit like the RFL in that regard it appears. He seems resigned to not being able to change much or move the game to the next level and as such is putting all his 'efforts' into the fluffy stuff on the edges, rebrands and such like. RL fans get accused of being a negative bunch and rightly so at times, but when this kind of guy is the driving force behind our game....does it make any wonder? 

17 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

in short... :kolobok_dash1:

The guy is stealing a living,his vision for the future is basically do what we've always done and hope clubs like the Catalans put on events like the Camp Nou game so he can take all the credit and proclaim everything is great.

Dear me get rid of the oxygen thief and employ a dozen grassroots development officers with the money the game would save.

20 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Martyn - that's really disappointing to hear. Have you written about his interaction with people i.e. too busy in the League Express? I am out of the country so no idea. If you haven't, maybe it should be a route for the paper to look at as I can't help feel until these people are held accountable in writing in our game's press, they will continue to do whatever they please. I appreciate this is a delicate balance as you need access to people but...

11 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Martyn - that's really disappointing to hear. Have you written about his interaction with people i.e. too busy in the League Express? I am out of the country so no idea. If you haven't, maybe it should be a route for the paper to look at as I can't help feel until these people are held accountable in writing in our game's press, they will continue to do whatever they please. I appreciate this is a delicate balance as you need access to people but...

I have no reason to doubt that Robert is very busy, although I would like to see some evidence of what he has been busy doing.

Perhaps we will see it soon.

To be fair to Robert, he perhaps thinks he has better things to do with his time than speak to me, and perhaps he has.

If next week he announces that he has found new investors to sink millions of pounds into Super League or into Super League's individual clubs, for example, then I would be happy to admit that he has spent his time wisely.

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I have no reason to doubt that Robert is very busy, although I would like to see some evidence of what he has been busy doing.

To be fair to Robert, he perhaps thinks he has better things to do with his time than speak to me, and perhaps he has.

If next week he announces that he has found new investors to sink millions of pounds into Super League or into Super League's individual clubs, for example, then I would be happy to admit that he has spent his time wisely.

And if he doesn't?

24 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That's shocking! 

He's stealing a wage and the problem is nobody dare hold him accountable....for doing absolutely nothing. SL is a bit like the RFL in that regard it appears. He seems resigned to not being able to change much or move the game to the next level and as such is putting all his 'efforts' into the fluffy stuff on the edges, rebrands and such like. RL fans get accused of being a negative bunch and rightly so at times, but when this kind of guy is the driving force behind our game....does it make any wonder? 

Part of the problem is that Robert isn't a naturally inspirational speaker about the game, as you can see from his comments reported from Monday's media briefing.

It would be sensible for a CEO, when facing the media in that sort of forum, to have something significant to announce, preferably Grand Final related.

One thing I've been pressing Super League to do, for example, which may seem fairly minor in the wider scheme of things, is to pay tribute to all Super League's retiring players by honouring them at the Grand Final in front of all the fans who will be at Old Trafford.

If he had said on Monday that Super League will be doing that, it would at least have been a talking point and persuaded more people from clubs like Leeds to buy tickets to give one last goodbye to their departing stars.

6 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I agree he could be very busy but surely part of his remit also its to talk to people like yourself and inform and to even have a 10 minute conversation about plans etc so that you can give some form of "they are working on xyz" would be good and useful.

3 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

In other words, he think whatever he likes, but he has absolutely no power to make any decision because the clubs will do what ever they please.

So we've got a highly-paid - but powerless - mouthpiece for the SL clubs.

He is an executive. His job is to deliver the policies determined by his board - that is quite normal.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

I agree he could be very busy but surely part of his remit also its to talk to people like yourself and inform and to even have a 10 minute conversation about plans etc so that you can give some form of "they are working on xyz" would be good and useful.

That's what I would have hoped.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

I think he is a real slime ball who goes with the wind at every moment....reminds me of Golem from Lord of the Rings.

I don't trust him.

I just put this into Google translate and it came out as "He keeps asking Toronto for things".

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

He is an executive. His job is to deliver the policies determined by his board - that is quite normal.

But he talks in the briefing about how he thinks we play too many fixtures and how he is arguing hard for a reduction in the fixture list.

So theoretically he does seem to think that he has influence - but that influence appears to be minimal. So, in the end, he reverts to being a mouthpiece.

We either need a leader who makes decisions and gets things done, in which case a Robert Elstone figure on a big salary. Or we need a 'spokesperson' who can simply make things sound palatable to the press - in which case, get rid of Elstone and employ someone who is just a decent-level press officer on about a tenth of the salary.

What we've got, it seems to me, is a bloke on a big salary who is doing very little apart from popping up every now and again with vague press briefings which tells us nothing much.

3 hours ago, RP London said:

he does seem to imply some help for london.... i'd love to hear more on that... 

I've heard those sentiments a million times before from people within RL. Ultimately, the game as a whole likes London as it is now - challenging at the top of the Championship/fighting to stay in SL - and (most importantly of all) producing a steady supply of SL quality players for the other clubs to pick up at no real cost to them. They're not interested in them becoming a permanent SL fixture or, God forbid, ever challenging for trophies.

What's blindingly obvious is that Elstone is there to work on behalf of the SL clubs - not the fans, not the RFL, not the Championship, not the England team, not the community game, not anyone other than the SL clubs. If they want something, he is there to do it for them. No more than that. He gets handsomely paid for doing that and, just as importantly, taking any resulting flack on their behalf. Our Canadian friends should recognise the type - he's the Gary Bettman of SL.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It is galling to read that an editor of a rugby league publication,and involved with RL Backchat which has a number of viewers easily accepts that a headhunted top man for Super League,seeking a new broadcasting deal,is simply too busy to appeal to a wide(r) audience.

One of the major problems in The Championship and League 1 is the failure of under resourced clubs connecting with the loyal support base.Here is a situation where the top man for Super League clubs is not engaging with the regular rugby league media and is not connecting with those who already follow the sport - so there is almost no chance of finding any new support.

No information on the people he may be meeting or how the broadcasting future seems to be panning out.

I wonder if he is too busy to report back to Messrs. Lenagan,McManus,Moran et al?

May I welcome Toronto Wolfpack followers to the lovely world of rugby league...Great ain't it?

Little wonder loyal followers of the sport are drifting away...  

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

But he talks in the briefing about how he thinks we play too many fixtures and how he is arguing hard for a reduction in the fixture list.

So theoretically he does seem to think that he has influence - but that influence appears to be minimal. So, in the end, he reverts to being a mouthpiece.

We either need a leader who makes decisions and gets things done, in which case a Robert Elstone figure on a big salary. Or we need a 'spokesperson' who can simply make things sound palatable to the press - in which case, get rid of Elstone and employ someone who is just a decent-level press officer on about a tenth of the salary.

What we've got, it seems to me, is a bloke on a big salary who is doing very little apart from popping up every now and again with vague press briefings which tells us nothing much.

If he’s served his purpose, then cut him out.  If he has value to add, then speak about it, whether your a good speaker or not (and it ain’t that easy, I know), but anything is better than nothing.

The recent sum total smacks of someone desperate to stay in work.

The game is wasting money on his role and for what he has achieved. What exactly has he improved and what has he done that the RFL have not? He comes across as a powerless yes man who has many ideas, but no real success with anything he has attempted. The Magic Weekend was a let down and no real justification for moving it away from Newcastle. The SL has no big sponsors involved or a massive TV Deal. I see no reason why SL is paying him other than to be the PR Machine for them.

I am personally disappointed how he (and the SL Clubs) view the fans. It comes across that Sky TV are the only thing they think about. Thursday maybe what Sky want but what about the fans? Has he ever tried getting from Wigan/Warrington/St.Helens to Castleford/Hull KR/Hull on a Thursday Night and vice versa? Would it not make sense that if we are to have Thursday Night games then to use local games and not trans penniine Clubs? What do SL & Clubs do for fans and to help bring in new fans? I dont see much going on at all. I feel fans are an after thought for Mr Elstone, Sl and also the Clubs in many cases.

Its OK rebranding Sl but if its just a name change then it will achieve little-see the Swinton debate. There has to be a plan and one that for me looks to improve the standards on and off the field. He mentions minimum standards but what exactly are they and why are Toronto expected to jump through hoops and Clubs that have been in SL for years continue to be allowed to play in venues that are falling apart and not fan friendly?

Playing teams 3 or 4 times in a League System doesnt go down well, despite him saying how well fixtures have gone well. Playing on Thursday Nights is for fans not something they want in many cases. And Warrington playing on a thursday straight after playing at Wembley is another poor Fixture plan. I have no idea why Magic was moved from newcastle, when it was so popular.

I am disappointed in his failure to turn up at events and saying he is too busy to attend. That comes across as he doesnt want to do such things or face being questioned on things. He should for me be looking to turn up at events and interact with the fans and media as much as poss and get a better understanding of what they are  after and not just his and the SL Clubs ideas.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

The guy is stealing a living,his vision for the future is basically do what we've always done and hope clubs like the Catalans put on events like the Camp Nou game so he can take all the credit and proclaim everything is great.

Dear me get rid of the oxygen thief and employ a dozen grassroots development officers with the money the game would save.

Can you realistically expect anything more with traditional small town clubs calling the shots in the game?

His role really is geared towards 2021 and the negotiation of a new TV deal, so I think it’s premature to completely write him off after one year. 

His first full season in the game has provided some great viewing for all, with the battle for 2nd-5th and the relegation battle, though I can’t say that was as the result of anything major that Elstone solely. The move to loop fixtures and P&R was as the result of a vote by the member clubs so it wasn’t imposed by Elstone. 

Magic Weekend was at a venue fans didn’t really want to go (and it showed in the attendance) and the games were pretty uninspiring. 

Archived