Robert Elstone Speaks...

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

He was on Rugby AM this week talking with Alex Simmons

20 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

He was. That interview was done at the play-offs launch on Monday.

Did he fire you up with enthusiasm?

Is this most recent interview with Elstone online anywhere?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DC77 said:

I’ve never heard an Everton fan say anything good about him.

He'll feel really at home in RL then, especially on here. At the end of the day, it boils down to this. No one in charge - RFL, SL, Refs etc- is any good. 

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Surely he doesn't get that amount

Yeah, probably only about half that. Peanuts.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

He'll feel really at home in RL then, especially on here. At the end of the day, it boils down to this. No one in charge - RFL, SL, Refs etc- is any good. 

Hasn’t Elstone already had one go at RL with Cas?  

I seem to remember someone on here saying he was with them in the early days of planning the new stadium.  

Ive certainly never bagged Refs, players or coaches, but this guy doesn’t fill me with hope.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

No, did he you?

Give Alex Simmons some credit though he has really great enthusiasm for Rugby League.

Alex's enthusiasm didn't seem to rub off on Rob Elstone

I'm still confused by these so called minimum standards for Super League.

Is it on Grounds? is it on crowds? is it on a combination of both?

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

No, did he you?

Give Alex Simmons some credit though he has really great enthusiasm for Rugby League.

Alex's enthusiasm didn't seem to rub off on Rob Elstone

I'm still confused by these so called minimum standards for Super League.

Is it on Grounds? is it on crowds? is it on a combination of both?

Yes, it was ironic that Alex seemed to be bubbling with enthusiasm while Robert seemed either unwilling or unable to generate a feeling of excitement for the impending play-offs. In fact he allowed himself to be diverted onto other subjects such as Toronto.

And the problem is that he tends to speak in generalities, not shedding much light on the issues (such as minimum standards) so we end up none the wiser.

As I understand it, the problem with Toronto that the Super League clubs want settled is a commitment to allow all Super League players to enter Canada even if, under other circumstances, they wouldn't be granted a visa. They are looking for some sort of special arrangement with the Canadian government.

9 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

As I understand it, the problem with Toronto that the Super League clubs want settled is a commitment to allow all Super League players to enter Canada even if, under other circumstances, they wouldn't be granted a visa. They are looking for some sort of special arrangement with the Canadian government.

Why should they be given a special arrangement? If the Canadian gov feels they wouldn't normally be fit people to enter Canada then just because they are here to play a game of rugby shouldn't be of any consequence. This is becoming a one way street that doesn't sit well. Yes we asked to join the British league but all the concessions are going one way.

21 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

Why should they be given a special arrangement? If the Canadian gov feels they wouldn't normally be fit people to enter Canada then just because they are here to play a game of rugby shouldn't be of any consequence. This is becoming a one way street that doesn't sit well. Yes we asked to join the British league but all the concessions are going one way.

They're must be some precedent in place regarding the NBA for example. The number of disadvantaged black youths who play basketball in NBA I suspect would have a number of convictions that would normally deny you entry into Canada. 

4 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

They're must be some precedent in place regarding the NBA for example. The number of disadvantaged black youths who play basketball in NBA I suspect would have a number of convictions that would normally deny you entry into Canada. 

Setting aside the unnecessary stereotyping for a moment, as I recall the main problems with English RL players not getting visas to enter Canada have been to do with drink driving offences.

1 minute ago, Loup said:

Setting aside the unnecessary stereotyping for a moment, as I recall the main problems with English RL players not getting visas to enter Canada have been to do with drink driving offences.

That's understandable, DUI offenses are among the reasons  listed why someone might be denied entry to Canada.

58 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

The SL clubs' management might want to read this and see which of their players might have past incidents similar to those of the NHL and NBA players described there and see if those players could apply for temporary residence permits.

17 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The SL clubs' management might want to read this and see which of their players might have past incidents similar to those of the NHL and NBA players described there and see if those players could apply for temporary residence permits.

I'm sure that would be very useful. It's an interesting rogues' gallery.

Yes, it was ironic that Alex seemed to be bubbling with enthusiasm while Robert seemed either unwilling or unable to generate a feeling of excitement for the impending play-offs. In fact he allowed himself to be diverted onto other subjects such as Toronto.

And the problem is that he tends to speak in generalities, not shedding much light on the issues (such as minimum standards) so we end up none the wiser.

That has to be a 2 way thing thought doesn't it?

If for an example a Aussie player for the TWP is deemed a criminal by British law and not by Canadian law,  would Super League be able to pull a few strings to let him play in this country for the TWP?

It is my opinion that we as a game will never have a better chance of making a footprint into the most lucrative sports market in the world in North America, but the insular people who run the game in this country seem intent in putting up road blocks for the TWP.

12 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

That has to be a 2 way thing thought doesn't it?

If for an example a Aussie player for the TWP is deemed a criminal by British law and not by Canadian law,  would Super League be able to pull a few strings to let him play in this country for the TWP?

It is my opinion that we as a game will never have a better chance of making a footprint into the most lucrative sports market in the world in North America, but the insular people who run the game in this country seem intent in putting up road blocks for the TWP.

I share your viewpoint, unless there is something else we are not being told.

If true, it’s an arrogant request and just could be the stumbling block SL are hoping for.

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Indeed. 

If the clubs are concerned about player availability overseas, they need to stop employing convicted criminals. 

Or, they can go through an immigration consultant and file the required paperwork ahead of time. Some of the League 1 players had problems entering Canada but by the second season, Wolfpack provided an immigration consulting service free of charge and there have been far fewer players knocked back in the two Championship seasons.

It's yet another massive whinge for which there are solutions.

What's next, clean the Augean stables in a single day? Capture the Cretan Bull? Steal the apples of the Hesperides?

No. Turns out they were rubbish and useless, too. Everyone in authority is useless, it would seem. 

Of course, questions are asked and not everyone agrees the way forward, but the relentless rubbishing of anyone, everyone, everything in the upper reaches is wearying. 

5 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Please forgive me for a certain amount of ''reading between the lines'' which is always potentially risky. I certainly don't want to be accused of jumping to conclusions and am fully aware that I might be misreading the omens but I get the feeling from some of your most recent posts that in your opinion Mr Elstone's street cred, is beginning to slide down the slippery slope that some of our previous ''saviours'' reputations ended up at the bottom of.

If this request matches what happens in other sports, it is perfectly reasonable.

These are complexities of an international league.

I'm absolutely baffled why so many people have an issue with sorting out this detail. We have seen that this has been an issue in the first couple of years.

It's easy to say the solution is dont hire criminals, the easier solution is dont bother with TWP. 

A bit of balance would be nice, but clearly impossible here.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If this request matches what happens in other sports, it is perfectly reasonable.

It doesn't. As another poster said, it's up to each club to sort out their players' legal admissability to cross borders on a case-by-case basis.

Archived