Robert Elstone Speaks...

25 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Please forgive me for a certain amount of ''reading between the lines'' which is always potentially risky. I certainly don't want to be accused of jumping to conclusions and am fully aware that I might be misreading the omens but I get the feeling from some of your most recent posts that in your opinion Mr Elstone's street cred, is beginning to slide down the slippery slope that some of our previous ''saviours'' reputations ended up at the bottom of.

Reading between the lines is a useful skill to have.

I'm slightly frustrated because I desperately want Super League to be successful and to grow beyond where it is now, and I would like Robert to be able to take it there.

I think he is a very able guy with some strong qualities and I support some of the things he has done so far.

But I don't think communication and inspiration are his strong points.

I'm not sure whether that means his street cred is on the slippery slope.

Nonetheless, if he can negotiate a strong TV deal from 2022 and bring commercial income into the game in other ways, he would have gone a long way to achieving his remit.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm slightly frustrated because I desperately want Super League to be successful and to grow beyond where it is now, and I would like Robert to be able to take it there.

I think he is a very able guy with some strong qualities and I support some of the things he has done so far.

Nonetheless, if he can negotiate a strong TV deal from 2022 and bring commercial income into the game in other ways, he would have gone a long way to achieving his remit.

I just hope he's not too busy to do it!

17 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

So what you’re saying is, you’ve got the hump because he won’t give you an interview and that’s all your going off?

1 hour ago, Loup said:

It doesn't. As another poster said, it's up to each club to sort out their players' legal admissability to cross borders on a case-by-case basis.

Is that a 100% verifiable fact Loup?

No sports league or comps or tournaments (Olympics etc) have centralised agreements? 100% sure?

51 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

How long is it since SL took control of their own destiny and introduced RE as the man to take the game to a new level? Well please tell me what has happened of any great significance since then, apart from Shot Clock and naff loop fixtures? Also the game seems to get less and less coverage in the National Media.  

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

However,if he fails to achieve his remit he simply walks away with a little bonus to add to the salary he received from a very rich sport.

His achievements,thus far,MW to Anfield and the lowest attendances on both days.

Communicating with the broadcasting company covering Catalans games resulting in Catalans no longer being televised.

No noticeable increase in attendances at Super League games. 

He was not well received by Everton football club followers and a petition was started which questioned 2 important roles now required by the sport of rugby league - this followed a new design of a badge where supporters were not consulted..

https://www.change.org/p/everton-football-club-we-demand-the-removal-of-mr-elstone-from-his-role-as-ceo

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

53 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is that a 100% verifiable fact Loup?

No sports league or comps or tournaments (Olhmpics etc) have centralised agreements? 100% sure?

Can't speak for the Olympics, but then we were talking about English rugby league.

In North America, there are several sports in which athletes regularly cross the US/Canadian border, in both directions - NHL, MLB, NBA, MLS. No doubt those teams have a few scallies on their rosters. Those teams sort out the paperwork for their bad boys, and presumably have well-paid staff to do so.

English rugby league players visiting Toronto to play the Wolfpack need only a regular visitor's visa (it's an e-TA or "electronic travel authorization"). There is no special visa. If you're inadmissible, due to a long list of criminal activities, you can apply for a TRP (temporary resident permit) which may only last for a single visit and will be issued if the immigration officer judges that your background isn't a risk for the reason you're visiting. It costs $200.

This is the kind of thing that Canadian immigration deals with all day every day. Any teams whose players have a record just need to apply ahead of time. It's not rocket science. Wolfpack have provided an immigration consultant for two years for just those purposes.

If indeed Super League are demanding that the Canadian government lie down on the rug and give blanket admission, this childish, parochial, and just another rock they are throwing at the Wolfpack.

17 minutes ago, Loup said:

Can't speak for the Olympics, but then we were talking about English rugby league.

In North America, there are several sports in which athletes regularly cross the US/Canadian border, in both directions - NHL, MLB, NBA, MLS. No doubt those teams have a few scallies on their rosters. Those teams sort out the paperwork for their bad boys, and presumably have well-paid staff to do so.

English rugby league players visiting Toronto to play the Wolfpack need only a regular visitor's visa (it's an e-TA or "electronic travel authorization"). There is no special visa. If you're inadmissible, due to a long list of criminal activities, you can apply for a TRP (temporary resident permit) which may only last for a single visit and will be issued if the immigration officer judges that your background isn't a risk for the reason you're visiting. It costs $200.

This is the kind of thing that Canadian immigration deals with all day every day. Any teams whose players have a record just need to apply ahead of time. It's not rocket science. Wolfpack have provided an immigration consultant for two years for just those purposes.

If indeed Super League are demanding that the Canadian government lie down on the rug and give blanket admission, this childish, parochial, and just another rock they are throwing at the Wolfpack.

Well no, because my basic question was does this happen in other sports - you answered no to that. If you dint k ow, that's cool, but you answered.

I know that the RFL have agreements with the authorities over here.

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well no, because my basic question was does this happen in other sports - you answered no to that. If you dint k ow, that's cool, but you answered.

I know that the RFL have agreements with the authorities over here.

What about France after Brexit?  Something I hope the clubs are thinking about!

5 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

He was not well received by Everton football club followers and a petition was started which questioned 2 important roles now required by the sport of rugby league - this followed a new design of a badge where supporters were not consulted..

https://www.change.org/p/everton-football-club-we-demand-the-removal-of-mr-elstone-from-his-role-as-ceo

I recall that...the man didn’t have a clue.

He was appointed by Bill Kenwright (Everton chairman) who has managed to see Everton decline from a mediocre outfit to one that barely registers, so hardly a ringing endorsement.

“He worked at a Premier League club, he must be good...”...that’s what got him the job in RL. He doesn’t have a track record of success.

10 hours ago, DC77 said:

I recall that...the man didn’t have a clue.

He was appointed by Bill Kenwright (Everton chairman) who has managed to see Everton decline from a mediocre outfit to one that barely registers, so hardly a ringing endorsement.

“He worked at a Premier League club, he must be good...”...that’s what got him the job in RL. He doesn’t have a track record of success.

I recall Everton and Tottenham Hotspur being amongst the Big 5 who advocated the Premier League,just as both clubs began to falter.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

18 hours ago, Loup said:

Iirc it was exactly that.  Clubs expecting to travel we’re leaving it to the death and then we’re refused.  Those who got on with it didn’t have problems.  Obviously dependant on the offence.

One of my pet hates is the English attitude that everyone should conform to the English way.  It’s simple, just read the instructions and do what they ask.

19 hours ago, Loup said:

And they want to expand to the United States ???

Just wait until the RFL has to deal with Dept of Homeland Security ???

spacer.png

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

And they want to expand to the United States ???

Just wait until the RFL has to deal with Dept of Homeland Security ???

spacer.png

That's another reason why I suggest that this whole expansion effort needs a brand new, built-for-purpose league following the proven practices of major North American pro leagues.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

That's another reason why I suggest that this whole expansion effort needs a brand new, built-for-purpose league following the proven practices of major North American pro leagues.

Have you thought of crowdfunding ?

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I think Elstones up the creek without a paddle now if he tries to block Toronto playing in Super League if they win the Championship grand final after yesterday crowd for the Toronto v Toulouse game

I can hear Parkys copy n' paste machine firing up from here?

Archived