Robert Elstone Speaks...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It disappointing to the only thing in the game he seems excited about is the fixture list.

I mean yeah, there is some low hanging fruit there but the rewards are pretty limited and it's not really inspiring

I think he seemed pretty excited about a rebranding of SL too - I'd like to understand what he means by that and the nature/reach of the campaign sitting behind it.

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

he does seem to imply some help for london.... i'd love to hear more on that... 

I would not hold my breath, talk is cheap.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It disappointing to the only thing in the game he seems excited about is the fixture list.

I mean yeah, there is some low hanging fruit there but the rewards are pretty limited and it's not really inspiring

I have worked with people like him before. The fixture list point was extremely underwhelming and nothing new really. He highlighted Easter (same as every other year), Barcelona (a Catalans initiative, the 2nd time they have been to Barca) and Magic, which had the same old fixtures and a really low crowd! Not sure why he didn;t highlight the season opener, which was one actual change and one that started the year well!

He is also excited about the re-brand to be fair, and I'm interested to see how it goes. Everything else is rather 'meh'.

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have worked with people like him before. The fixture list point was extremely underwhelming and nothing new really. He highlighted Easter (same as every other year), Barcelona (a Catalans initiative, the 2nd time they have been to Barca) and Magic, which had the same old fixtures and a really low crowd! Not sure why he didn;t highlight the season opener, which was one actual change and one that started the year well!

He is also excited about the re-brand to be fair, and I'm interested to see how it goes. Everything else is rather 'meh'.

I have worked with many similar as well.

They have their own career path front and centre as their perform their duties

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

My own personal view is it is too many games and there was a certain fixture fatigue towards the back end of the season and we should take that out. Ultimately it is down to Super League and the clubs that believe in it that less is more and it’s more about quality than quantity and that the commercial impact will be a positive one. We still haven’t quite won that battle for enough clubs but it’s certainly something I’ll continue to push because I believe we’re playing too many games.

In other words, he think whatever he likes, but he has absolutely no power to make any decision because the clubs will do what ever they please.

So we've got a highly-paid - but powerless - mouthpiece for the SL clubs.

Do you ever actually take anything away from Robert Elstone’s interviews? I’m not sure we ever learn anything new or he tells any facts, in terms of releasing new information for the league going forward, in any interview he ever does. 

He goes on about how he pushed Easter and made an exciting set of fixtures but the 2019 Wigan v Saints Good Friday game had a smaller attendance than the 2017 Wigan v Saints Good Friday game. 

At least he is communicating. Albeit with not a great deal of exciting things to talk about.

I'm looking forward to this re-brand. A re-brand with a highly regarded and established agency, which should hopefully provide something impressive. Let's hope the brief they were given was well thought out and relevant to whats needed.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

40 minutes ago, Allora said:

I have worked with many similar as well.

They have their own career path front and centre as their perform their duties

If that array of achievements was put in front of me I’d ask him to write, on a piece of A4 paper, what he has been doing since in post.  

Really disappointed that SL has not progressed.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If that array of achievements was put in front of me I’d ask him to write, on a piece of A4 paper, what he has been doing since in post.  

Really disappointed that SL has not progressed.

Piece of paper as big as A4 ! Personally , think back of a postage stamp would be adequate. 

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

7 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

At least he is communicating. Albeit with not a great deal of exciting things to talk about.

I'm looking forward to this re-brand. A re-brand with a highly regarded and established agency, which should hopefully provide something impressive. Let's hope the brief they were given was well thought out and relevant to whats needed.

It’ll be interesting to see what that costs and compare it to what it brings, in, say, 3 years.  

I seem to remember Royal Mail rebranding which cost £1m + and ended up reverting back to Royal Mail again a year or so later.  

Elstone might be lucky, but I’m not impressed with his performance to date so would not gamble on success.  Gamble on failure would be shorter odds.

3 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Piece of paper as big as A4 ! Personally , think back of a postage stamp would be adequate. 

I’m quite serious.  He’s on a large salary.  We expect a large impact.  

Im sure he’s a nice bloke but if he can’t deliver, cut him out.

Sounds like I’m ranting, but I’ve said this before.  Half a dozen people on here could come up with better strategy and ideas than he has to date.

I’ve heard they’re going to re-brand as the Super Duper League to reflect the magnificent changes that are being driven through, such as moving the Thursday night kick off time 15 minutes back and getting the Brownlies to do a speech at the annual dinner. 

We have the SL website and the RFL website.  Comparing those to the NRL website is like comparing a Porsche to a Mini Cooper.  A quick glance on each supports my view.  There should be one, go-to website.  Disciplinary, Rules etc don’t warrant the space.

We have OurLeague.  I quite like it, but it’s bargain basement for RL fans only.

I’m sure I will be wrong with this somewhere, but imo one website could incorporate the Our League thing.  It could also include merchandising, retro RL stuff, downloadable video for free minimal cost to the consumer (dependant on choices available).  Sponsors would be attracted to this but I doubt they would be to all 3 going they’re own ways.

Though

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

We have the SL website and the RFL website.  Comparing those to the NRL website is like comparing a Porsche to a Mini Cooper.  A quick glance on each supports my view.  There should be one, go-to website.  Disciplinary, Rules etc don’t warrant the space.

We have OurLeague.  I quite like it, but it’s bargain basement for RL fans only.

I’m sure I will be wrong with this somewhere, but imo one website could incorporate the Our League thing.  It could also include merchandising, retro RL stuff, downloadable video for free minimal cost to the consumer (dependant on choices available).  Sponsors would be attracted to this but I doubt they would be to all 3 going they’re own ways.

Thought it was quite interesting that yesterday OurLeague put up a poll for people to vote on what "extra" merchandise they would purchase, and some different designs of scarves and hats. You don't usually see polls for fans to choose which design they prefer for a national team's kit/accessories.

16 minutes ago, Click said:

Though

Thought it was quite interesting that yesterday OurLeague put up a poll for people to vote on what "extra" merchandise they would purchase, and some different designs of scarves and hats. You don't usually see polls for fans to choose which design they prefer for a national team's kit/accessories.

And how many people will have to reply before they commit to one of Scubbys mugs or a hat?

We could learn a lot from the quality of Catalans merch and clothing.  Just started a new line in stair climbers too.

22 minutes ago, Click said:

Though

bloody hell.. im an ourleague member and had no idea about this... surely that says something!

1 minute ago, RP London said:

bloody hell.. im an ourleague member and had no idea about this... surely that says something!

I got a pop up notification yesterday to my phone about it, so I checked it out. There were a few polls, one was about scarves/hats, another was about pins, and the design of them.

If you go to the "polls" section on OurLeague, they should still be there. But they were hidden behind the "try of the week" poll.

Archived