Who is your man of steel?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your man of steel?

• Blake Austin
    • Lachlan Coote
    • Jackson Hastings
    • Liam Watts
    • George Williams

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1048/coming-soon?fbclid=IwAR0JI47keETtqYuwAfeaTDk75NRZTV9g80ndYUrVS6RB0jyI_Q5cdRkvJrw

Austin, Hastings, Coote, Watts and Williams are the nominees.

Got to be Hastings surely, especially with Coote and Austin missing a good chunk of the latter part of the season.

Seems a longer "shortlist" this year too?

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 1

Latest Blogs: TWO part Grand Final Review "St Helens read the 'how to win a big game' manual" and "Victory proves one step beyond for Salford"- https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/10/grand-final-review-2-victory-proves-one.html  Twitter: @TheTrylineBlog

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I know it’s a voted system this year but it’s interesting to see Lomax so underrated outside of St Helens.  

Yep. Clean sweep for him at our player of the year awards last night, in the top try scorers, 5th in assists and hasn't lost a Super League match all year but the panel seem to think there have been 2 better stand offs than him this year.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 2

Latest Blogs: TWO part Grand Final Review "St Helens read the 'how to win a big game' manual" and "Victory proves one step beyond for Salford"- https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/10/grand-final-review-2-victory-proves-one.html  Twitter: @TheTrylineBlog

McManus' next programme notes should be a good read then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

George williams to win it but just by a nose

• Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Three halves on the list and no Lomax, who cleaned up at the season awards of the team finishing top by a country mile.  He hasn't lost a game of SL all season.

Very odd to see him snubbed in both the dream team and MoS shortlist.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

For me it is about the impact of a player on his team. Lomax steps into a superior team all the functions of the team are well established. , Hastings is part of a revolution at Salford.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’ll be Flake or Hastings. 

Yes, there is a rich history of this award being handed to Wire / Salford players.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Yes, there is a rich history of this award being handed to Wire / Salford players.

I have no idea what you’re on about. 

I’ve given my opinion on who I think, from the shortlist, will win this. Like many others have. 

15 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

For me it is about the impact of a player on his team. Lomax steps into a superior team all the functions of the team are well established. Hastings is part of a revolution at Salford.

I agree with this - that's why I think Hastings is a worthy winner. However, Lomax has also been very good this year hence why he swept the board last night. Hastings should MoS though; nobody else comes close on that list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I know it’s a voted system this year but it’s interesting to see Lomax so underrated outside of St Helens.  

I am a Warrington fan but rate Lomax ,he injects pace into a game and is the one saints player I fear most.

Agree about Lomax; a fine player who also looked, not that long ago, as if he'd never get a decent run of games without some injury or other.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Yep. Clean sweep for him at our player of the year awards last night, in the top try scorers, 5th in assists and hasn't lost a Super League match all year but the panel seem to think there have been 2 better stand offs than him this year.

How are the St. Helens player of the year awards relevant to this?

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Because its strange that the player deemed the best player of the season by the team which won the league by 16 points isn't on the short list. It shows that this is a dumb way of picking the awards though.

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

Because its strange that the player deemed the best player of the season by the team which won the league by 16 points isn't on the short list. It shows that this is a dumb way of picking the awards though.

And who is he deemed to be the best player of the year by?

18 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Nobody is suggesting Lomax deserves to be MoS (already started Hastings is a very worthy MoS). Just surprised he wasn’t on the shortlist since he’s been Saints’ best player all year. But hey ho, it’s only an opinion and it’s not mine that counts.

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

And who is he deemed to be the best player of the year by?

Saints players, Saints coaches and Saints members. 

28 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Because the St Helens player of the year has not been nominated for Man of Steel, yet a St Helens player who won none of the club awards has. It's a bit of a quirk.

My view is that Lomax would have been more deserving than Coote (as good as he has been) for a nomination.

When you see the points awarded over the earlier rounds can anyone take it seriously.

• Like 1

There should be a Man of Steel in the sense of what it means and an MVP, Watts for MoS, Hastings for MVP over the season.

• Like 1