Catalans ask for Magic Weekend to be played in France

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t think it’s too big and I don’t care that it’s not in France.

Magic weekend is about being a carnival in new areas. Tick and tick.

Cheap to get to. A popular destination. Would be brilliant.

Problem is do Barcelona actually want it? Catalans' game was more about identity and local pride than money as far as I could tell. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be good to see Catalans, Toulouse and the FFR to come together to work on a true "magic" weekend for France. Probably safer just to start as a day and build from there, get a couple of big supporter base English clubs involved to boost numbers.

Elite 1 game (Top 2 from previous season)

Toulouse V Bradford/Widnes/York

Catalans V Wigan/Leeds/Hull/Saints/Warrington.

Held in a 25-40k seater stadium.

And yes I know Elite 1 already has a "Magic Weekend".

On 21/09/2019 at 11:59, GUBRATS said:

As I said though , I doubt you have the same numbers from the UK , and I'd expect the French to probably mostly just do the one day , certainly be a good atmosphere with a full stadium 

You might find as many people from England would go, excited by the one off France experience. Given the relatively low crowds at Anfield last year it’s not implausible, plus going all that way would mean people would probably buy tickets for both days. 

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

It'd be good to see Catalans, Toulouse and the FFR to come together to work on a true "magic" weekend for France. Probably safer just to start as a day and build from there, get a couple of big supporter base English clubs involved to boost numbers.

Elite 1 game (Top 2 from previous season)

Toulouse V Bradford/Widnes/York

Catalans V Wigan/Leeds/Hull/Saints/Warrington.

Held in a 25-40k seater stadium.

And yes I know Elite 1 already has a "Magic Weekend".

And a toronto home game against another English side with good travelling support. 

On 20/09/2019 at 07:37, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Oh wait a minute, I see what I've done wrong, I wasn't paying attention and thought the £45 was just for the outbound journey... Idiot! Hahaha

Let me just assure you I am an experienced traveller and have negotiated some sodding dodgy booking websites before, Serbian and Hungarian railways being particular highlights, I will mark this one down as an hallucinatory error, though in my defence i was a bit distracted cos I was at work and my boss has caught me on my phone before and that woman can really shout! 

Anyway, point still stands I guess, still be half the cost to fly to South of France than to get train to Liverpool! 

Apart from the fact that you've missed out cost of getting to the airport and/or parking there for 2 or 3 days which is not insignificant, the 2 big flaws are 1.  that there is considerably more train capacity to get from anywhere in the UK to Liverpool/London/Cardiff than there is to fly from the UK to, say Toulouse and 2. If there was a big demand for flights on particular dates the price of those flights would increase markedly.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Apart from the fact that you've missed out cost of getting to the airport and/or parking there for 2 or 3 days which is not insignificant, the 2 big flaws are 1.  that there is considerably more train capacity to get from anywhere in the UK to Liverpool/London/Cardiff than there is to fly from the UK to, say Toulouse and 2. If there was a big demand for flights on particular dates the price of those flights would increase markedly.

Cost of getting to the airport depends heavily on where you live. Most people in the heartlands aren't exactly far from an airport that flies to the south of France so it won't cost too much to get to the airport. I've got return from Hull to Leeds on train for £10 before, just gotta know when to book, and then a few quid on the bus, I think its about a fiver from Leeds railway station to airport so £10 both ways there so add just £20 more to your costs. If you are in West Yorkshire or Lancashire it will probably be less cos you're closer to airports than here in Hull. Failing that find a mate that can drive you, not difficult, at least I can always find someone to do airport runs anyway. 

Yes there might be more train capacity than air but there are still a number of airports to choose from in the south of France and as I said originally, train travel on the continent is a lot cheaper than in this country which is why I said even adding a train journey into your flight would still be cheaper. 

I am aware flights would be more expensive but trains would be as well and you can book planes a lot further in advance than you can trains which gives you some leeway for getting the price you. Also think, if it was in this country a lot more people from this country would be going on trains plus in the fact there is often a few football games going on around the country with their fans travelling as well making trains fuller anyway so it would in part cancel out the larger capacity argument. Once train reservations are all sold you have to pay a standard fee which is astronomical. You could always just use your head and book a flight to somewhere a bit further away which would be cheaper and train the rest, oh wait I've already said that. It's only about 4 hours on the train from Barcelona to toulouse (I know, I've done it) so it isn't exactly out of your way. 

Of course you could always save money by going for a cheaper hotel as well and drinking a few less pints. 

If you use your head and know what you're doing you can do the trip for less than it would cost to have a weekend away in this country and as I said, I would rather have a weekend in the south of France than in a council estate in Liverpool. 

Archived