Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Catalans ask for Magic Weekend to be played in France

8 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Trips to Perpignan, Toronto and a Magic Weekend in France within a nine month period in a predominantly working-class northern sport is farcical. 

See a lot of ‘working class’ northern football fans travel the UK and Europe regularly tbf

• Like 3

I might be missing something here, but isn't it the responsibility of a city to 'bid' for Magic, rather than - as the article suggests - a club 'asks' Super League to 'take' Magic to their area?

Surely, what Catalans need to do is find a city willing to host it, and put together a financial package with the local municipality, sponsors, businesses etc. Make a compelling bid and then it can be looked at...

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Good idea, people don’t have to go (just like they don’t have to go to Toronto or Catalans away) but thousands would and if they held it somewhere where they already play RL (like Montpellier) it might get bigger crowds than at Anfield and get a lot of extra media attention in both countries, which would be a win. 

The Stade de la Mosson holds 32,500 so would be a perfect size, better than having 20,000 rattling round inside Anfield. 

Good comment. I'd actually spend a long weekend in France rather than go to Newcastle or Liverpool, in fact it's quicker for me to get to quite a few places in France than it is Newcastle. Montpelier is less than 2 hours from Gatwick, that's less than 4.5 total including train to Gatwick and getting their however long before boarding. By train (to Newcastle) it's still 4 hours for me and 5.5 by car.

Please take it back to nou camp. Us wiganers loved it. If it wasnt wigan cats played and it was another team there in the future I'd go. Magic there for me ticks all thr boxes. Make it happen rfl.

• Like 1

quite like the idea of a French magic weekend,  a 2nd French team would go a long way to making it a success,

42 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Good comment. I'd actually spend a long weekend in France rather than go to Newcastle or Liverpool, in fact it's quicker for me to get to quite a few places in France than it is Newcastle. Montpelier is less than 2 hours from Gatwick, that's less than 4.5 total including train to Gatwick and getting their however long before boarding. By train (to Newcastle) it's still 4 hours for me and 5.5 by car.

Quite right and I think cost goes hand in hand with time as well. I've travelled all over the continent and one thing I notice everywhere is how cheap public transport is. 

Just had a quick look at some prices. I picked 16th-18th november as dates just so it seems I'm booking a decent amount of time in advance. 

A return on train from Hull to Liverpool is on average around £100, takes 3 hours and has a change involved. 

A Ryanair return flight from Manchester to Marseille on those dates (picked marseille cos it fell in those dates) is £23. £10 outbound, £13 inbound. Even with the cost of a train from there to toulouse or montpellier say, you are saving a lot of money (unless magic is in marseille of course) and having a nice visit to the south of France. 

I know what I'd prefer. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Quite right and I think cost goes hand in hand with time as well. I've travelled all over the continent and one thing I notice everywhere is how cheap public transport is. 

Just had a quick look at some prices. I picked 16th-18th november as dates just so it seems I'm booking a decent amount of time in advance. 

A return on train from Hull to Liverpool is on average around £100, takes 3 hours and has a change involved. 

A Ryanair return flight from Manchester to Marseille on those dates (picked marseille cos it fell in those dates) is £23. £10 outbound, £13 inbound. Even with the cost of a train from there to toulouse or montpellier say, you are saving a lot of money (unless magic is in marseille of course) and having a nice visit to the south of France. 

I know what I'd prefer. 

What's a train ?

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I know what I'd prefer. 

Exactly, it's a good excuse to go somewhere different for a long weekend or even holiday and incorporate some rugby as well, it's not as if you even have to go for both days so family could go do something else whilst you support your team and then continue on your holiday, win/win IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Trips to Perpignan, Toronto and a Magic Weekend in France within a nine month period in a predominantly working-class northern sport is farcical. 

Liverpool fans don't appear to struggle getting all over Europe for their adventures!! 

It's the average RL supporter that's farcical

• Like 1

The point of Magic was to use it as a vehicle for expansion to showcase the sport in new areas.

It's purpose was not a nice weekend away for current fans although it's a nice bonus!

To play magic in or around the heartlands is farcical and a waste of the potential that magic holds! 

France is crying out for attention so we look the other way.

It's the same idiots who ignored the potential a new Manchester club with the fresh ideas and momentum would bring to the pro game!

RL is doomed if it continues down this course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

The point of Magic was to use it as a vehicle for expansion to showcase the sport in new areas.

It's purpose was not a nice weekend away for current fans although it's a nice bonus!

It's literally the opposite. 

Magic Weekend exists because the Welsh tourist board wanted a way to fill hotel beds in South Wales. It was literally devised as a weekend away for RL fans. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

It's literally the opposite. 

Magic Weekend exists because the Welsh tourist board wanted a way to fill hotel beds in South Wales. It was literally devised as a weekend away for RL fans. 

It wasn't how it was marketed and coincided with a push for expansion in Wales with crusaders. The tourist board got on board as did the local authority.. 

That was when RL had vision and hope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

It wasn't how it was marketed and coincided with a push for expansion in Wales with crusaders. The tourist board got on board as did the local authority.. 

That was when RL had vision and hope

It's how it came to being, whatever the message in the press releases were. But whilst there might have been passing references to "expansion", it certainly wasn't or ever has been the main motivation. 

8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

But as a spectator missing those foreign games is hardly the end of the world now is it,how many supporters go to every away game in this country ?

Football fans regularly travel all over the world for preseason games ang a large percentage are working class lads.

Actually quite a lot of my team's supporters go to every away match.

Obviously some other supporters of various clubs aren't that keen.

Yes, football fans may well travel all over the world but not everyone wishes to spend their earnings in that way.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes, football fans may well travel all over the world but not everyone wishes to spend their earnings in that way.

So don't spend the money and miss 3 matches,not the end of the world now is it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I know what I'd prefer. 

If you use the train line and avoid peak times the cost is a lot cheaper. For me it would be £44.20 return those dates. There were plenty of tickets left at that price.

There are also other websites that offer cheap tickets.

I'm not being contradictory, just being helpful should you need to book in future. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

If you use the train line and avoid peak times the cost is a lot cheaper. For me it would be £44.20 return those dates. There were plenty of tickets left at that price.

There are also other websites that offer cheap tickets.

I'm not being contradictory, just being helpful should you need to book in future. 

Oh wait a minute, I see what I've done wrong, I wasn't paying attention and thought the £45 was just for the outbound journey... Idiot! Hahaha

Let me just assure you I am an experienced traveller and have negotiated some sodding dodgy booking websites before, Serbian and Hungarian railways being particular highlights, I will mark this one down as an hallucinatory error, though in my defence i was a bit distracted cos I was at work and my boss has caught me on my phone before and that woman can really shout! 

Anyway, point still stands I guess, still be half the cost to fly to South of France than to get train to Liverpool! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Who do you support?

People in the Uk really are blessed when it comes to geography. So close to many exotic and famous holiday destinations that I believe Super league should take more advantage of. Down here in Australia the closest country is Nz and that is 3 hours flight away. It can take over 5 hours flight just to get out of the country heading west from the east coast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Oh wait a minute, I see what I've done wrong, I wasn't paying attention and thought the £45 was just for the outbound journey... Idiot! Hahaha

Let me just assure you I am an experienced traveller and have negotiated some sodding dodgy booking websites before, Serbian and Hungarian railways being particular highlights, I will mark this one down as an hallucinatory error, though in my defence i was a bit distracted cos I was at work and my boss has caught me on my phone before and that woman can really shout! 

Anyway, point still stands I guess, still be half the cost to fly to South of France than to get train to Liverpool! 

Thanks for your interesting reply. 

I nearly did the same, it's confusing. 

Yes the rail fares are very expensive. I have a railcard which reduces the cost.l but it's still not cheap.

You make a good point.