A Manchester club ?

gandalf

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

No, we need to stabilize the current system (structure/ format) and 38 members we currently have.......which includes getting the 38th membership up and running fulfilling fixtures (The Stags membership which was approved to relocate to Ottawa.) 

Stabilising the current structure and format does nothing to develop the game and does nothing to stabilize clubs. A failing club will still be failing club.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

No, we need to stabilize the current system (structure/ format) and 38 members we currently have.......which includes getting the 38th membership up and running fulfilling fixtures (The Stags membership which was approved to relocate to Ottawa.) 

Maybe it can't be stabilised because of the mixture of clubs not fitting with professional sport in this century? This is why I don't buy this "look after what we've got" argument. What we've got should be looking after itself.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

48 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Swinton is just as close to Madchester city centre as FC United’s ground in Moston

Moston is in Manchester.  Thats a nonsense argument.

For the ill-informed or Australians as they are more commonly known.

Moston is M40, its that close I am pretty sure they cant play matches on the same day as Manchester City.

Swinton is not even on the boundary.

City centre is M1.

postcodes-large-1.jpg?resize=800,577&ssl

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Let's just give up then eh?

A Manchester club would not be in competition with those other RL club. There is an entirely largely untapped market to look at.

I despair at the attitude of some RL fans on here. It's like they won't be happy until the game just gives up and just retreats to an ever shrinking status quo. As long as their club is okay and a big fish in a small pond they'll be happy I suppose.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Stabilising the current structure and format does nothing to develop the game and does nothing to stabilize clubs. A failing club will still be failing club.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Maybe it can't be stabilised because of the mixture of clubs not fitting with professional sport in this century? This is why I don't buy this "look after what we've got" argument. What we've got should be looking after itself.

Expansion.....relentless Expansion.

Catalans Dragons
London Broncos
Sheffield Eagles
Toronto Wolfpack
Toulouse Olympique
Coventry Bears
London Skolars
Newcastle Thunder
North Wales Crusaders
West Wales Raiders
Stags? Hemel / Ottawa

The above does not satisfy your unquenchable thirst for expansion?......???

Crickey.....!

Get behind the above clubs if you must.

Yet another Manchester Area Club is a no go....So say the Lancashire member Clubs and due to that.....So say the RFL.

That's the way it is.

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Catalans Dragons
London Broncos
Sheffield Eagles
Toronto Wolfpack
Toulouse Olympique
Coventry Bears
London Skolars
Newcastle Thunder
North Wales Crusaders
West Wales Raiders
Stags? Hemel / Ottawa

Crickey.....!

Yet another Manchester Area Club is a no go....So say the Lancashire member Clubs and due to that.....So say the RFL.

That's the way it is.

If that attitude were in football it would still be played only in the Midlands and Lancashire.

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Catalans Dragons
London Broncos
Sheffield Eagles
Toronto Wolfpack
Toulouse Olympique
Coventry Bears
London Skolars
Newcastle Thunder
North Wales Crusaders
West Wales Raiders
Stags? Hemel / Ottawa

Crickey.....!

That's the way it is.

And there is the problem with some Rugby League fans in a nutshell.

47 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Don't blame the fans. Blame the RFL if you must. But as I've demonstrated, there's plenty enough expansion. It's something you simply can't pin on them lol. 

There's plenty enough expansion? You listed 10 clubs in a 37 club system, only 2 of which are in SL; the rest being from a small pocket in the North.

Plenty? Don't sound so insular.

This "fantasy Manchester club" wasn't a fantasy this time last year. It was this insular thinking of their being only finite amount of fans in G.Manchester that stopped that. How would a club in the City of Manchester take resources from these other satellite Manchester clubs? Explain that to me.

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

There's plenty enough expansion? You listed 10 clubs in a 37 club system, only 2 of which are in SL; the rest being from a small pocket in the North.

This "fantasy Manchester club" wasn't a fantasy this time last year. It was this insular thinking of their being only finite amount of fans in G.Manchester that stopped that. How would a club in the City of Manchester take resources from these other satellite Manchester clubs? Explain that to me.

Its a fantasy right now.

The Manchester Rangers application for membership was an application for a £75k hand out each season remaining on the current revenue share / TV Deal. It had no serious investment behind it. 

I may explain the things you've asked later. But in the meantime have a look at what many say about the Sydney area regarding RL. Saturated. Maybe we will look into the mechanics of that and what it means for Greater Manchester in RL terms. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

But in the meantime have a look at what many say about the Sydney area regarding RL. Saturated. Maybe we will look into the mechanics of that and what it means for Greater Manchester in RL terms. 

Are you really trying to compare a 7th club (a semi pro one at that) from within ones region but a different area within a near-40 team three-tier league system with 9 full time clubs from one city in one league (many of which play out of the same stadia)?

They're not even remotely similar.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Are you really trying to compare a 7th club (a semi pro one at that) from within ones region but a different area within a near-40 team three-tier league system with 9 full time clubs from one city in one league (many of which play out of the same stadia)?

They're not even remotely similar.

Sure, if you say so. How utterly ridiculous of me. Apologies. 

Good luck with the Manchester thing. You've won me over. 

14 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Its a fantasy right now.

The Manchester Rangers application for membership was an application for a £75k hand out each season remaining on the current revenue share / TV Deal. It had no serious investment behind it. 

I may explain the things you've asked later. But in the meantime have a look at what many say about the Sydney area regarding RL. Saturated. Maybe we will look into the mechanics of that and what it means for Greater Manchester in RL terms. 

The Rangers offered to not take any central funding for a period of time.

They also did more to develop the game locally than much longer established clubs who do benefit from the £75k hand out each season

14 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Its a fantasy right now.

Which is not true. Running as an amateur club the board was putting 6 figures into developing the game locally.

Paying the costing of hosting games at the Regional Arena.

If the team was going to enter the reserves league under its own resources, then that would not have got TV money.

The decision to pull out the reserves because the RFL would only let them play under the Salford name.

Almost like a undisclosed decision had already been made about a club playing as Manchester......

14 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It takes resources if your basically taken over a club and your a one trick pony.

Your only plan to bring in more sponsors, is to pretend your in Manchester.

9 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

It takes resources if your basically taken over a club and your a one trick pony.

I think it's intentionally ignorant to say that was all they would do.

It doesn't take resources if that club is going to end up folding. 

I remember watching a video on, I think, Manchester Rangers' website (if not it would've been on their Youtube account) of an interview with a teenager playing in their junior set-up. He said that he got into the sport through some sort of community college initiative, and that he wouldn't ordinarily have played for a club because there wasn't one near enough to where he lived in Manchester. He was a newcomer to the sport and seemed to be really enjoyed it. I've got no idea where he'll be now.

9 minutes ago, Bolton Leyther said:

I remember watching a video on, I think, Manchester Rangers' website (if not it would've been on their Youtube account) of an interview with a teenager playing in their junior set-up. He said that he got into the sport through some sort of community college initiative, and that he wouldn't ordinarily have played for a club because there wasn't one near enough to where he lived in Manchester. He was a newcomer to the sport and seemed to be really enjoyed it. I've got no idea where he'll be now.

Connor Winfield inspired by watching Rob Burrows.

About 10 stone wet through but can push prop forwards off in the tackle.

18 minutes ago, Bolton Leyther said:

So that teenager didn't become aware of the sport via some obscure town outside Manchester and didnt start to travel 14 miles to Wigan. How odd when it's the narrative some on here are trying to spout.

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Manchester Rangers had a great facility at Etihaid  ( but no bar )' 

They had a team in the lower leagues of NWCL. Pretty poor  on the park really..

To go to semi pro they needed to raid the Oldham / Rochdale / Salford areas  for existing talent. In essence the were the Wolfpacks  but at home.. The current RL members didnt like that and expressed their views accordingly,,,,,,,,,

Greater Manchester isn't like for instance  Leeds . It's population is not much higher than Wigan , or Salford. No open age sides are based within the City itself....

Never seen the plan they put before the RLF but Peter Pan  may have been flying around.....

5 minutes ago, del capo said:

Manchester Rangers had a great facility at Etihaid  ( but no bar )' 

They had a team in the lower leagues of NWCL. Pretty poor  on the park really..

To go to semi pro they needed to raid the Oldham / Rochdale / Salford areas  for existing talent. In essence the were the Wolfpacks  but at home.. The current RL members didnt like that and expressed their views accordingly,,,,,,,,,

Greater Manchester isn't like for instance  Leeds . It's population is not much higher than Wigan , or Salford. No open age sides are based within the City itself....

Never seen the plan they put before the RLF but Peter Pan  may have been flying around.....

I dont believe the plan was to turn an amateur team into a professional setup.

It was demonstrate that an infrastructure for a semi-pro club could work.

Population of Manchester 500K plus in the area of Manchester alone and rising to 1 million.

As an amateur in a few seasons they went from 4th division to 2nd narrowly missing out on promotion to 1st after forfeiting a game because an athletics meeting overran.

Made one grand final and had a least three players training with Salford.

Henry Davies now playing for Halifax (1895 cup this year) and Ben Steele playing his footy now in Australia.

Some of the lads turning down offers from League One clubs.

Had Josh Hill picked to tour with England and include in the Jamaica Squad.

Jubril Olajide has just been selected to play hooker for Nigeria, alongside Super League and NRL players.

Not too shoddy.

Archived