A Manchester club ?

gandalf

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Moston is in Manchester.  Thats a nonsense argument.

For the ill-informed or Australians as they are more commonly known.

Moston is M40, its that close I am pretty sure they cant play matches on the same day as Manchester City.

Swinton is not even on the boundary.

City centre is M1.

postcodes-large-1.jpg?resize=800,577&ssl

That map was made up in 1973. According to this Old Trafford is not in Manchester which is ludicrous. I don’t think there is a hard definition of what being in Manchester is, but being within the Manchester ring road is a good guide - similar to the M25 and London. Looking at a map, FC United’s ground is more or less just as far from the centre of Manchester as Swinton. Both are within the Manchester ring road and about the same distance from it

5 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

That map was made up in 1973. According to this Old Trafford is not in Manchester which is ludicrous. I don’t think there is a hard definition of what being in Manchester is, but being within the Manchester ring road is a good guide - similar to the M25 and London. Looking at a map, FC United’s ground is more or less just as far from the centre of Manchester as Swinton. Both are within the Manchester ring road and about the same distance from it

Sit down for this one we have moved onto the decimal system as well.

2 hours ago, newbe said:

Heard they made a derisory offer to buy the licence of Hemel Stags,  interesting reading at companies house about how much money in there account. ? It was never about the money with Stags, but about the player pool in there area.

which was what?

Very little factual information in that statement.

Its all a bit my mate brian, heard from his mate Sid down the pub.

5 hours ago, del capo said:

Manchester Rangers had a great facility at Etihaid  ( but no bar )' 

They had a team in the lower leagues of NWCL. Pretty poor  on the park really..

To go to semi pro they needed to raid the Oldham / Rochdale / Salford areas  for existing talent. In essence the were the Wolfpacks  but at home.. The current RL members didnt like that and expressed their views accordingly,,,,,,,,,

Greater Manchester isn't like for instance  Leeds . It's population is not much higher than Wigan , or Salford. No open age sides are based within the City itself....

Never seen the plan they put before the RLF but Peter Pan  may have been flying around.....

Why those areas? I'd this the 1960s?

They could attract posters from wherever they liked. They were working on developing the community game in Manchester. There are so many untapped areas of the game it is unreal.

Basically, the other towns in the area got worried that they could overtake them and put a stop to it.

I think you've mixed Greater Manchester and City of Manchester up. City of Manchester is about half a million. Much bigger than the other places you mention still. Greater Manchester is the collection of all of those towns AND City of Manchester.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Robthegasman, like you I was fully behind the rebrand of Swinton to Manchester - it was and still is the only way forward for the club. But I suspect the luddites will now take over and be happy for Swinton to no longer exist in a few years (along with many other clubs).

If Swinton won't seize the chance I want someone else to. It is crazy for there to be no Manchester club ... no other sport would ignore the opportunity.

It may work, it may not but for goodness sake RL try it!

23 minutes ago, gandalf said:

Robthegasman, like you I was fully behind the rebrand of Swinton to Manchester - it was and still is the only way forward for the club. But I suspect the luddites will now take over and be happy for Swinton to no longer exist in a few years (along with many other clubs).

If Swinton won't seize the chance I want someone else to. It is crazy for there to be no Manchester club ... no other sport would ignore the opportunity.

It may work, it may not but for goodness sake RL try it!

I personally think that the RFL should intervene and insist that Swinton Lions follow through with the rebrand to Manchester Lions from 2020.

On 19/09/2019 at 19:48, Tommygilf said:

I am wholeheartedly of the belief that Manchester Rangers were denied a licence so that Swinton would rebrand.

That this was neither guaranteed nor the Manchester rangers investors redirected is a crying shame.

Par for the course in British RL though.  The game over there has always protected traditional clubs at the expense of expansion outfits.

Swinton Lions are now up For Sale as per the article in League Express.

No one as of yet has come in with an offer.

Now I suspect that if someone or a consortium do buy out the existing shareholders which I assume they have to and all 235550 shares in total,they may well decide to follow through with what has been proposed.

Time will tell and whatever happens,happens 

Manchester has little in the way of summer team sport.   The cricket doesn't always play at useful times, speedway is on life support.  A RL team based in East Manchester, within walking distance of Piccadilly or the tram, could have been a real gamechanger.  The southern and eastern suburbs are hardly likely to schlep to Salford (as Salford and indeed Sale have shown).  For me, the nearest games are either a painful journey to Salford, or an irritating one to Oldham or Rochdale which requires driving or a long train and tram trip.  Frankly I'd rather go to Saddleworth Rangers on the train, and have a few beers- much more straightforward.

The Rangers saga is an opportunity missed.

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Swinton Lions are now up For Sale as per the article in League Express.

No one as of yet has come in with an offer.

Now I suspect that if someone or a consortium do buy out the existing shareholders which I assume they have to and all 235550 shares in total,they may well decide to follow through with what has been proposed.

Time will tell and whatever happens,happens 

Why buy a club when you can buy the license?

Wouldn't be easier for any future owner to wait for the license to become available?

I dont know, to be honest.  Trying to understand how the game now works with entering the league.

Do All Golds still hold a license?  Would Bramley want back in?  New York even.

On 23/09/2019 at 06:09, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Wouldn't be easier for any future owner to wait for the license to become available?

I dont know, to be honest.  Trying to understand how the game now works with entering the league.

I am sorry but I don’t quite understand what you say about buying the licence as opposed to the club.

22 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Are investers more likely to be interested in licenses than actual clubs, was the point I was trying to make.

The license is worthless if the RFL don't approve of the club buying it.

Ottawa bought the Hemel licence, but that didn't guarantee them a place.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 23/09/2019 at 00:41, PrimroseAndBlue said:

Manchester has little in the way of summer team sport.   The cricket doesn't always play at useful times, speedway is on life support.  A RL team based in East Manchester, within walking distance of Piccadilly or the tram, could have been a real gamechanger.  The southern and eastern suburbs are hardly likely to schlep to Salford (as Salford and indeed Sale have shown).  For me, the nearest games are either a painful journey to Salford, or an irritating one to Oldham or Rochdale which requires driving or a long train and tram trip.  Frankly I'd rather go to Saddleworth Rangers on the train, and have a few beers- much more straightforward.

The Rangers saga is an opportunity missed.

Get yourself to Saddleworth Ranger's mate, only £3 in and you also get a program. It's a good set of people who love their rugger. Hope to see you next season. 

On 23/09/2019 at 06:09, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

You must buy a member club to buy membership. The RFL don't buy & sell licences they are a Membership organisation. If they want new members they may put out an invitation for applications. 

13 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Are investers more likely to be interested in licenses than actual clubs, was the point I was trying to make.

Right I think I get what you say now.

So in other words someone could buy the Swinton Lions licence and relocate to say Ottawa,New York or anywhere they choose?

3 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Right I think I get what you say now.

So in other words someone could buy the Swinton Lions licence and relocate to say Ottawa,New York or anywhere they choose?

Yes but as I understand it the RFL have to approve where they play. So bizarrely Ottawa bought the Hemel licence but might not be allowed to use it. So no idea what happens to that licence then, or why there are licences at all. 

Archived