A Manchester club ?

gandalf

Now it looks like the Swinton rebrand is not going to happen will we see a new Manchester club anytime soon?

The RFL want one I believe. They probably turned down Manchester Rangers as they thought one of the existing clubs might take up the name. I could be wrong but it looks like the RFL backed the wrong horse. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I don’t get the fascination with a Manchester named club.  I’m not sure the City of Manchester is losing out at all when they have a side on their doorstep (relatively speaking compared with a large part of the country) who could be crowned the best side in the northern hemisphere in a couple of weeks time. 

People in Manchester have little concern about what is going on in surrounding towns. Ditto other cities like Liverpool. Until there are RL teams in those places the amount of people that will be interested from those places is always going to be very limited.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

People in Manchester have little concern about what is going on in surrounding towns. Ditto other cities like Liverpool. Until there are RL teams in those places the amount of people that will be interested from those places is always going to be very limited.

People in Manchester have little concern about Rugby League. 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I am wholeheartedly of the belief that Manchester Rangers were denied a licence so that Swinton would rebrand.

That this was neither guaranteed nor the Manchester rangers investors redirected is a crying shame.

Sorry Tommy, but the story is Manchester Rangers applied for the Hemel licence and lost out to Ottawa

I don't have the specifics, but I believe had Ottawa applied for expansion instead of buying the licence then we would have both.

I think MCR could support a league team!  Someone should get on the phone the Sheikh and see if he wants to expand his portfolio (not much happens at city's academy stadium)

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Is it? Provide me with some evidence of this. 

I used to work in research for sport. Supporting a team is most often family / friend driven, but outside of that local pride is key at the start. I don't believe people in Manchester feel an attachment to Rochdale or Oldham as places. 

Plus as has been said Manchester Rangers were getting 300 in the lower amateur leagues. What do you think that would grow to in the first year as a league 1 club?

17 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I used to work in research for sport. Supporting a team is most often family / friend driven, but outside of that local pride is key at the start. I don't believe people in Manchester feel an attachment to Rochdale or Oldham as places. 

Plus as has been said Manchester Rangers were getting 300 in the lower amateur leagues. What do you think that would grow to in the first year as a league 1 club?

Assuming it was say £12 plus to get in I would say around 200 on the basis of a mid table finish

9 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Rochdale, Oldham, Swinton, Salford, Leigh and probably Wigan to some extent don't want another Manchester Team. 

Why though? It’s not like their fans are going to start supporting Manchester Rangers. If anything (rightly or wrongly) it would boost media interest which might boost interest in their own clubs. 

31 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

So on that premise, Manchester Giants are a massive Basketball club then? They play in a 750 capacity arena. 

Were they? Is there any proof of that at all?If so, is that their average or was that their max? It’s not about year 1, it’s about year 10 and beyond. 

9 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Rochdale, Oldham, Swinton, Salford, Leigh and probably Wigan to some extent don't want another Manchester Team. 

And there is the argument that there are 6 teams in the greater Manchester area so why would people start watching Manchester Rangers when they don’t watch Oldham, Rochdale, Swinton ect...

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why though? It’s not like their fans are going to start supporting Manchester Rangers. If anything (rightly or wrongly) it would boost media interest which might boost interest in their own clubs. 

Because that's the way 6 Clubs see it, Greater Manchester is their catchment area, their fans are not going to switch but they don't want more competition for what they view as their potential fans. 

Those clubs mentioned in Gtr Manchester have no chance of attracting fans from other than their immediate geographical area. Ok super League teams might get armchair fans but not paying punters.

I would argue a Manchester club would. Manchester is a name recognised around the world... Wigan isn't (no disrespect). When I go on holiday abroad and I'm asked where I'm from I don't say Salford ... I say Manchester. It is instantly recognisable.

Plus a new Manchester club would have none of the baggage, tribal loyalties and ridiculous insularity so often on display in RL. A clean slate...

Archived