Cheap tickets and empty stadiums

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Im not disputing that. Im simply saying that you cant take two clubs whos attendances are below average and then say, for some reason, that they are well supported. 

So half are well supported , and half aren't , essentially 

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Play offs should be sudden death, otherwise it just creates meaningless fixtures and further fixture fatigue

Then you have the potential anomaly of the team which finished the regular season in first place losing and being eliminated in a Semi-Final and a lower-ranked team becoming champions thanks to the lucky break of not having to play the team which was the top seed.

15 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

By SL Standard, its below average. There is an average attendance, their attendances is below that. Its not well supported.

That’s like saying Aberdeen aren’t well supported in the SPL because they’re below average, even though they’re 5th out of 12 with an average of well over double that of the 6th placed team which would suggest they are well supported by SPL standards. 

And anyway, if you think Tolouse are ever going to average 10,000, or even close to it, you are very much mistaken. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s like saying Aberdeen aren’t well supported in the SPL because they’re below average, even though they’re 5th out of 12 with an average of well over double that of the 6th placed team which would suggest they are well supported by SPL standards. 

And anyway, if you think Tolouse are ever going to average 10,000, or even close to it, you are very much mistaken. 

Half the NFL is not well supported you know ?

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

5th out of 12 isnt great or amongst the best. It is by definition mid-table. 

I don't know why the standard of good by SP level would be what clubs around 7th/8th/9th out of 12 are getting

If it's 5th and double what 6th get it is among the best , it has to be 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

5th out of 12 isnt great or amongst the best. It is by definition mid-table. 

I don't know why the standard of good by SP level would be what clubs around 7th/8th/9th out of 12 are getting

Completely missing my point, deliberate no doubt. 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

The LA chargers get more than an SL club. You wont find anyone in the NFL describe their attendance as anything but atrocious  

32 768 average last year so not too bad really. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

If Toulouse could play in a league full of teams from comparable world class cities like Toronto, London and New York I'm sure that they could average well over 10,000 in that case.

38 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If Toulouse could play in a league full of teams from comparable world class cities like Toronto, London and New York I'm sure that they could average well over 10,000 in that case.

Tolouse isn’t comparable to any of those cities. 

Anyway, RL is very much the 3rd (or possibly lower) sport in Tolouse and France, light years behind football and Union. Last season Tolouse FC averaged 16,000 in Ligue 1 and the Union team average about 15,000 - so how anyone thinks the RL team could ever average 10k is beyond me, it’s completely unrealistic. 

What amazes me is that the main Toronto haters seem to be the main advocates of Tolouse, when it’s so obvious that TWP would bring so much more to SL. 

20 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Why not just do away with the playoff system altogether?

Fans don't/won't pay to watch the playoff games other than the final, which is the biggest indicator that it isn't as popular as some seem to think it is. We already have 27 games in the regular season, too many in some people's eyes.

If we must have an end of season showpiece to appease Sky, why not cut to the chase and just have a Final, the LLS Winners v the Challenge Cup Winners, a Champions Cup game instead? It might even bring a bit more interest to the flagging CC.

At least that would get round the farcical issue of a team potentially finishing 5 and being crowned as Champions, invariably on the basis they have less battered bodies at the end of the season than their opponents.

You could say the same about the Challenge Cup. Attendances are low until the final which get over 60k. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Anyway, RL is very much the 3rd (or possibly lower) sport in Tolouse and France, light years behind football and Union. Last season Tolouse FC averaged 16,000 in Ligue 1 and the Union team average about 15,000 - so how anyone thinks the RL team could ever average 10k is beyond me, it’s completely unrealistic. 

What amazes me is that the main Toronto haters seem to be the main advocates of Tolouse, when it’s so obvious that TWP would bring so much more to SL. 

In fact Toulouse is the 4th-biggest city in France, with a metro population of more than 1 million.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It is indeed, so it’s more comparable with places like Turin and Birmingham than it is London, Toronto and New York. Now if you’re saying we should start a SL team in Rome that’s a different matter ? 

Turin and Birmingham are both major cities with metro populations of over 2 million, both major cities, so Toulouse is in good company there.

Toulouse has every chance of getting good crowds, even 10k + with the right promotion & performance. Gee here in Oz Geelong has qtr of Toulouse's population & its AFL team get 25k crowds. If the soccer & union get a 30k combo in attendances, that is not a great engagement of sporting fans in Toulouse with a 1 mil + population.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

What a load of tosh,  I bet there were a lot of these types of posts before about Catalan when they were joining the SL. 

They were getting about 2k attendance way way behind USAP and now they have taken over as the biggest rugby club in the city. 

6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

By NFL standards, appalling.

You do realize they play in a 27k MLS stadium? When LAC move to the new stadium, it'll skyrocket to 60-70,000. 

4 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

Toulouse has every chance of getting good crowds, even 10k + with the right promotion & performance. Gee here in Oz Geelong has qtr of Toulouse's population & its AFL team get 25k crowds. If the soccer & union get a 30k combo in attendances, that is not a great engagement of sporting fans in Toulouse with a 1 mil + population.

That's not how it works. 

Cities and countries have way too many variables to say 'if this place from here gets this then this place here should get this'. It's poor use of reasoning. 

RU and football are rooted in Toulouse. If they're getting in the mid teens, there's very little chance an RL team or any other team of any sport is going to consistently pull above 10k. They might get over 10k for a French derby, or an occasional marquee game, but there is not some pent up demand for sport in Toulouse that the existing professional teams aren't meeting if that's what you think. 

Archived