Cheap tickets and empty stadiums

Despite the cheap tickets on offer the Halliwell Jones Stadium is almost empty, I expect it will be the same at the DW Stadium tomorrow.

Expanding the Play Offs from 3 games to 6 games seems like a poor decision from Robert Elstone. We should go back to 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 then the Grand Final.

We could use the 2 weeks it’d take off the season to play a mid season international or two. 

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Where the playoffs always this poorly attended? I remember it being really noticeable when we moved to top 8, but I'm sure the playoffs before that were fairly well attended?

This fixture was often poor.

It's a mystery. 

The play off's, and the chance for success they offer are what all the teams have been striving for all year and when they arrive there are less there than a weekly fixture. 

Oh, and Ben Westwood playing his last ever home game... isn't that another reason to be there and celebrate his career. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But it is , this is meant to be the pinnacle of the season , I just don't understand the mindset 

But it’s not because this is how attendances have been (Lower) than the season average for many play-off series now and teams, the league, the governing body etc don’t seem to do anything about this. 

I often wonder why clubs don’t do an opt out scheme for non-ST games (Challenge Cup and Play-Off games) for ST holders where money is automatically taken from the ST Holders bank account and a ticket sent to them, if they don’t opt out of this scheme. 

Thursday night televised crowds are always low for obvious reasons but there must have been around 11-12,000 there tonight? That in itself isn’t a bad crowd but it just looks rubbish on tv because of where the cameras are - if they were in the opposite stand you’d see a fairly full terrace instead of a half empty stand and it would look lots better. Same goes for Saints and Leeds actually. 

As for Wigan it’s even worse, a 13,000 crowd will still look bad in a 25,000 seater stadium, when for a town the size of Wigan in the location they’re in (ie with other RL clubs plus the big NW football clubs and Wigan Athletic to challenge them) it’s actually a pretty impressive sized attendance. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Thursday night televised crowds are always low for obvious reasons but there must have been around 11-12,000 there tonight? That in itself isn’t a bad crowd but it just looks rubbish on tv because of where the cameras are - if they were in the opposite stand you’d see a fairly full terrace instead of a half empty stand and it would look lots better. Same goes for Saints and Leeds actually. 

As for Wigan it’s even worse, a 13,000 crowd will still look bad in a 25,000 seater stadium, when for a town the size of Wigan in the location they’re in (ie with other RL clubs plus the big NW football clubs and Wigan Athletic to challenge them) it’s actually a pretty impressive sized attendance. 

Sky give the crowd as 5627. That's even lower than anyone would expect.

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

yep its Thursday. its a skool nite- don't know bout anyone else but am up at 5.30 in the morn- simple as that

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Even our friends over the ' pond ' will get more actual paying fans than that ?

I’m not saying sky didn’t announce that crowd (though I missed it), but did anyone watching on tv think the crowd was that low? Wire would get that to an opening round challenge cup game vs an NCL side. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m not saying sky didn’t announce that crowd (though I missed it), but did anyone watching on tv think the crowd was that low? Wire would get that to an opening round challenge cup game vs an NCL side. 

Yes. I'm not surprised it was that low.

11 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

But it’s not because this is how attendances have been (Lower) than the season average for many play-off series now and teams, the league, the governing body etc don’t seem to do anything about this. 

I often wonder why clubs don’t do an opt out scheme for non-ST games (Challenge Cup and Play-Off games) for ST holders where money is automatically taken from the ST Holders bank account and a ticket sent to them, if they don’t opt out of this scheme. 

I'd go further and just charge an extra fiver per season ticket and pool that. Include season tickets in the playoffs and cover costs through the pooled cash. (May be 7 quid instead of a fiver, but the point stands).

Had that been a season ticket game it would have been almost double that tonight. 

It ain't a big mystery really.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So people will spend £ 300 to watch their team all year , then not pay 20 quid to watch the game they've spent all year qualifying for , crazy 

I dont think the aim was the Thiraday night elimination final.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd go further and just charge an extra fiver per season ticket and pool that. Include season tickets in the playoffs and cover costs through the pooled cash. (May be 7 quid instead of a fiver, but the point stands).

Had that been a season ticket game it would have been almost double that tonight. 

It ain't a big mystery really.

Absolute nonsense 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So people will spend £ 300 to watch their team all year , then not pay 20 quid to watch the game they've spent all year qualifying for , crazy 

It’s a bit like how football fans are desperate for their team to quality for the Europa League, then nobody goes to the games and they complain about how it hinders their league season. 

Just now, Eddie said:

It’s a bit like how football fans are desperate for their team to quality for the Europa League, then nobody goes to the games and they complain about how it hinders their league season. 

No it isn't , that is a separate competition , this IS the SL finals 

Archived