Wolfpack CEO radio/TV interview

TIWIT

Wolfpack CEO Bob Hunter was on TheFan590 doing a live in-studio interview this afternoon.

He did not mention any problems entering Super League - admittedly the hosts didn't ask - beyond the obvious one.

He did mention TWP receiving SKY money should they gain entry.

He talked about upgrading amenities at Lamport but emphasized how satisfied they are with the facility.

He also talked about working with RU's Toronto Arrows to engage kids in the game of rugby.

Here's the link: https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

And more! Brian McDermott was on earlier for a more light-hearted chat. And for those who like to say TWP aren't really a Toronto team, he drops the second 'T' a couple of times while referring to Toronto as "home".

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/sportsnet-starting-lineup/sept-19-leafs-fall-to-the-sens-the-wolfpack-look-to-keep-rolling-and-tnf/

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

McDermott is paid to say that. As for Hunter building bridges with yawnion is simply an excuse for ignoring CRL in the first place.

He has a lot to catch up on.

You really are a negative person, aren't you?

4 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

It's a British based RL forum...it's almost a requirement that he is

But he's exceptionally good at it.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Is the Lamport any better in person? It doesn’t look much from TV, it looks a dull, concrete council stadium. Is it fit for Super League?

Compared to Cas and Wakefield you mean? or a reference to the crowds at Hudders and Salford?

5 minutes ago, cookey said:

Compared to Cas and Wakefield you mean? or a reference to the crowds at Hudders and Salford?

4 minutes ago, Click said:

Have you seen what is already in Super League?

Let’s be honest here, it doesn’t matter what’s currently in Super League. Those clubs with poorer grounds are in the clique and under Elstone’s wing, I cannot see him or enough Super League chairmen changing ruling and voting in minimum standards for its member clubs, look how poorly policed the licensing system was in regards to stadia, for example. 

I can however see them putting some form of minimum criteria on new members, especially heading towards 2021. Elstone alluded to the stadium at London Broncos this week and how they need to be playing somewhere better. 

5 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Is the Lamport any better in person? It doesn’t look much from TV, it looks a dull, concrete council stadium. Is it fit for Super League?

It's an old,  gritty stadium, so no, it doesn't look much better in person. It is an intimate place with a great atmosphere, and we are hoping there will be substantial improvements in the next few years. The field was replaced a year and a half ago and is in great shape. I know TV viewers don't like the multiple line markings, but that's a result of it being a city-owned stadium with a lot of community use, and it doesn't seem to bother the locals much.

Add seats instead of aluminum benches, add a roof, a large video screen, some corporate boxes, improve the food (the drink is well taken care of already!) improve the bathrooms, and add capacity, and it would be great. I don't have a clear sense of which of those are required for Super League, but I hope much of the above become a condition for entry if we earn promotion!

Some of  those improvements are easily done, while others will take a large investment. Nearby BMO Field is an example of a team partnering with the city to do similar things, so it's possible, and our new CEO is without a doubt the best guy in the country to make it happen.

People always mention a roof, but to be honest,  a big part of the appeal of watching sports for me is sitting out in the sunshine. Yes you get some blazing hot days, but ideally you'd have late afternoon or evening kickoffs in summer.

56 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

People always mention a roof, but to be honest,  a big part of the appeal of watching sports for me is sitting out in the sunshine. Yes you get some blazing hot days, but ideally you'd have late afternoon or evening kickoffs in summer.

I've sat under the roof at BMO Field while icy rain pelts in sideways, so this obsession with a roof seems to be a Very British Thing.

6 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Adding to John WP Fan's post: Lamport is in a perfect location, despite its lumpy appearance. It is well served by public transit, two tram routes, a bus route, and regional train service. It's in a fast-growing neighbourhood where many people are moving to live and work. Best of all, there are five or more great pubs within a short walk.

Many UK fans have pored over maps of Toronto and come up with all kinds of suggestions as to where Wolfpack should move. But if you live here and attend games, you wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Bob Hunter outlines some future plans for Lamport in his interview.

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

Most stadiums in North America don't have a roof.  

Most NFL, CFL and MLB Stadiums are open air.

Green Bay Packers aka Temple of Football (Lambeau Field):

spacer.png

NE Patriots (Gillette Stadium):

spacer.png

Buffalo Bills (New Era Field)

spacer.png

Montreal Alouettes Percival Molson Stadium:

spacer.png

Calgary Stampeders McMahon Stadium:

spacer.png

Almost no team has a covered stadium because we just don't need them in the summer.  The only places that have covered/indoor stadiums are places on the West Coast where it rains cats and dogs everyday or places like Texas where stadiums need to be climate controlled so people don't die of heatstroke.

22 minutes ago, Loup said:

Adding to John WP Fan's post: Lamport is in a perfect location, despite its lumpy appearance. It is well served by public transit, two tram routes, a bus route, and regional train service. It's in a fast-growing neighbourhood where many people are moving to live and work. Best of all, there are five or more great pubs within a short walk.

Many UK fans have pored over maps of Toronto and come up with all kinds of suggestions as to where Wolfpack should move. But if you live here and attend games, you wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Amen John.  Lamport is easily one of the best located stadiums in the country.  The last thing we want for the TWP is for it to be moved out to some industrial outskirt of the city.  Stadiums need to be in the heart of the city, there are too many examples of teams playing outside city centres to faltering crowds, etc.

Montreal Expos and Ottawa Senators come to mind.

26 minutes ago, Loup said:

Whose ground is it? I imagine a local council’s? Is there any plans for TWP to buy it and is there space to redevelop should they wish?

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Whose ground is it? I imagine a local council’s? Is there any plans for TWP to buy it and is there space to redevelop should they wish?

Belongs to the city of Toronto. Who have provided a new pitch and replaced the scoreboard in the past two years.

If TWP were to buy it or take a greater ownership, they would have to find alternate playing fields for all the community users who play field hockey, lacrosse and football at Lamport. This is not trivial and I doubt it's even on the cards. There is space to add extra seating at the south end. As Bob Hunter mentions in his interview.

There is local precedent for city-owned facilities. BMO Field is also city owned but managed by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (Bob Hunter's previous employer). MLSE pays the city rent and then takes all profits/losses from operations. BMO Field has had several rounds of renovation and expansion over the years, with a cost-sharing arrangement between city, province, and MLSE.

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It belongs to the City of Toronto.  Buying it would cost a lot of $$$, the land is worth many millions $$$.  

1 minute ago, Canis Lupus said:

Belongs to the city. No plans to buy it have been touted. No real room to redevelop as enclosed on three sides. But already holds 9600 so using the area at the scoreboard end for a little extra capacity should be ok for now .

You could redevelop three sides of it fairly easy.  The two sides with the stands could easily support 5-6000 seat grandstands with luxury boxes while the South End could hold another stand/club house/pro shop etc.

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It doesn’t and yeah, they’re fine. 

Cas and Wakey’s grounds are like 1980s fourth division football grounds and don’t look good on tv other than to nostalgics like myself. I think Lamport looks like a decent place to watch a game, buy yourself a craft beer or two and sit in the sun. 

The 9,600 capacity is due to the fire code, they could actually fit more in there but they have to get a few more exits. the atmosphere is fantastic and as previously mentioned the drink options are fine. The interview mentioned that they are looking at modernizing the washrooms, food options and maybe the seating but really better food and washrooms would be fine with me. A video screen was also mentioned the interview, you know...for SL try no try spinning wheel.

Archived