The Battle of Britain: which team will you support?

Which team will you support on September 27: Canberra or South Sydney?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will you be supporting on September 27: Canberra or South Sydney ?

• South Sydney
    • Canberra

Next Friday will see a huge clash of two NRL teams, each of which contain at least three British players who are crucial to their team's success. One of those teams, Canberra or South Sydney, will make their way to the NRL Grand Final

Canberra will have Josh Hodgson, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, and possibly Ryan Sutton. Hodgson and Bateman have been outright stars and indispensable for Canberra, and Whitehead has been very good.

South Sydney will have Sam Burgess, Thomas Burgess, and George Burgess, with Sam as the team's captain and chief "enforcer.".

Which team will you support and why?

10 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Next Friday will see a huge clash of two NRL teams, each of which contain at least three British players who are crucial to their team's success. One of those teams, Canberra or South Sydney, will make their way to the NRL Grand Final

Canberra will have Josh Hodgson, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, and possibly Ryan Sutton. Hodgson and Bateman have been outright stars and indispensable for Canberra, and Whitehead has been very good.

South Sydney will have Sam Burgess, Thomas Burgess, and George Burgess, with Sam as the team's captain and chief "enforcer.".

Which team will you support and why?

Just a couple of points from me.

Elliott Whitehead is just as indispensable to Canberra as Hodgson and Bateman. He is essential to the way they play.

And both teams will have an English captain as Josh Hodgson is co-captain of Canberra.

In the result... I'm just chuffed that I will be cheering some Brits on in the NRL Grand Final. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Always been a Souths fan, but Canberra have 4 English players so completely undecided on this one. Whomever wins, I'll be supporting them in the next round.

A word on Ryan Sutton, he went over on a 1 year contract, so was a bit of a trialst really. He has played 20 games and recently signed a 3 year extension, that shows how impressed Canberra are with him. He is also only 24, which is young for a prop and is going to get much better.

7 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

A word on Ryan Sutton, he went over on a 1 year contract, so was a bit of a trialst really. He has played 20 games and recently signed a 3 year extension, that shows how impressed Canberra are with him. He is also only 24, which is young for a prop and is going to get much better.

I was impressed by Sutton from the very first time I saw him play. Very pleased that things are working out so well for him.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I’d like to see Canberra at the big show . I remember the see of green when they got to grand finals and it would be great to revisit that . But I really like the burgi , especially big Sam who’s one of the all time greats from here , so ultimately it’s win win . And whoever wins this will have my support in the GF

From a result perspective I expect Canberra to win. I think they have a little more intensity in their game this year than Souths who just seem a little too sloppy defending around the ruck this year.... as an under strength Manly exposed this week.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Would love to see Canberra in the GF. The first GF i ever say (on TV) was the '94 final against the Bulldogs. Meningas farewell and one of the best Canberra teams to wear the green jersey.

As much as i love Saints and the Burgess boys, It would be nice to see Canberra get the money.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I think Canberra look too strong on recent performances and the Bunnie's poor in defence, conceding too many penalties and point's. Has Bennett lost his magic touch? It's open to question.

Not sure about the Bennett part. Souths have played a lot of the year without some key men, particularly in the backline... not least the Inglis retirement early on which unexpectedly left them without their strike player.

I would suggest he has done pretty well getting them into the last 4 and a place in the Grand Final would be a real achievement. 

46 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

Good post.

I'll vote South but will be happy either way, doubly so if one of these guys is a match winner . ?

Both Sam Burgess and John Bateman would be good bets in that regard.

Canberra have played well all season whilst Souths are a bit up and down. If Souths bring their A game then I can’t see them losing.  But it will need to be their A game, and Reynolds will need to fire, else it’s the raiders all the way.

It’s marvellous from a British perspective but particularly from a Bradford one. Five of our academy players playing in an NRL semi final. So in that respect I have no preference for the winner of this one even though Souths are my favourite team. 

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

I’m a Souths fan but even if Souths win this game I just can’t see them beating either Roosters or Storm in the final. I think Canberra are in slightly better form and would have at least a chance of beating one of the in the final. So I suppose the answer is still Souths but I wouldn’t be too upset if Canberra win provided they go on and win it. 

I want Canberra to win, because (Brits or not) they have been a pleasure to watch, and it has been far too long since the Green Machine was a real contender.

I do have a feeling that Souths will win this game, though. Not sure why; just a hunch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived