Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plow

Million Pound Game to stay

Recommended Posts

It would be good if the championship and L1 finals were on the same day one after each other at a neutral venue. It would get a good crowd and could be called the Million Pound Game and Hundred Thousand Pound game. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Million Pound Game is just a terrible name IMO, by underlining the lack  of money in the sport. Plus the name is about a different competition, instead of giving value to the Championship as a competition in its own right. Very poor IMO.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could just be ‘Championship Grand Final: The Million Pound Game’

Altho agree that it sort of underlined lack of money in the sport.

As for L1 I’m not sure we’d want to advertise the further lack of money in that ... and £100k could be generous!


Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn’t believe it (well I could) when I saw it being advertised as that again, it just sounds cheap, tacky and a gimmick

 

The sport needs to stop just joining the race to the bottom with it’s marketing efforts

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be 'The Rugby League Championship Grand Final, the Road to Super League (provided you fit the criteria and let the other clubs have your central funding).

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my perspective, if the pinnacle of a competition has a name that is purely concerned with leaving that competition to join another one, then it suggests to the viewer that it isn't worth winning in its own right. It may spike a bit of interest in that particular game, but in doing so massively devalues the rest of that competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It would be good if the championship and L1 finals were on the same day one after each other at a neutral venue. It would get a good crowd and could be called the Million Pound Game and Hundred Thousand Pound game

I think hundred pound game is more accurate. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

From my perspective, if the pinnacle of a competition has a name that is purely concerned with leaving that competition to join another one, then it suggests to the viewer that it isn't worth winning in its own right. It may spike a bit of interest in that particular game, but in doing so massively devalues the rest of that competition.

But the whole point of the competition IS to leave it, and indeed if you read on here, it's the supporters of the championship clubs who are most vociferous about this. 

When people like me suggest automatic promotion might not be the best system and a self-contained regional semi-pro comp in its own right might be better, we are howled down immediately. They can't have it both ways.

On the wider point. I always felt that the MPG sounded cheap, but I have to say, from where I sit a long way from the heartlands, it did seem to attract a smidgeon of notice from people who frankly don't even know the rest of the championship exists. 

It's a branding that, despite my misgivings, does seem to have made a connection, albeit small. So I can see why they've stuck with it, which is a very un-rugby league thing to do! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or if Toronto win; the (we will withhold central funding to the tune of) ONE MILLION Pound (game).

Or alternatively, how about, the (pay us a bond of) ONE MILLION POUND (game).

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: International Wrap #6 - From Wayne's world to Wane's world? - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/11/international-wrap-6-from-waynes-world.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, doc said:

Could be 'The Rugby League Championship Grand Final, the Road to Super League (provided you fit the criteria and let the other clubs have your central funding).

How about the "Empty Your Pockets" Match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CadleyX said:

Presumably if Toronto win, it will be the "A Million Pounds? You'll Be Lucky!" game. 

Million Pounds As Long As You Raise It Yourself Game.

  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it should be Who Wants to be a Rugby Millionaire and get Chris Tarrent to ref it.

 

  • Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Is this something to do with the current Sky TV deal, ie they have to call it that?

That is an interesting angle/take and it has the smell of something to it...finally I can agree with you on something.

13 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

On the wider point. I always felt that the MPG sounded cheap, but I have to say, from where I sit a long way from the heartlands, it did seem to attract a smidgeon of notice from people who frankly don't even know the rest of the championship exists. 

 

I would agree with that...it sparked interest over here since it is a unique handle...I've had many casual observers of the game ask me if Toronto was in the Million Pound Game again...the phrase has staying power and is unique.  It catches the casual observers interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

It could just be ‘Championship Grand Final: The Million Pound Game’

Altho agree that it sort of underlined lack of money in the sport.

As for L1 I’m not sure we’d want to advertise the further lack of money in that ... and £100k could be generous!

How much extra income from TV and more fans through the gate is it worth to get into the champs, maybe some York fans could tell us what impact it's had in terms of numbers/gross money into the club incl from merchandise and local sponsors too. I bet it's worth more than £100k differential in income to a club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

How much extra income from TV and more fans through the gate is it worth to get into the champs, maybe some York fans could tell us what impact it's had in terms of numbers/gross money into the club incl from merchandise and local sponsors too. I bet it's worth more than £100k differential in income to a club.

You could be right, but MPG was originally a reference to the difference in central funding as opposed to other revenue streams.  Not sure what York got this year but assume it was £75k in L1 last year?


Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...