Morgan Smithies new Super League tackle record

Damien

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This kid is going to be a superstar. At the moment he is full of effort, aggression and tenacity but he is also skilful and will prove to be a great attacking threat as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not massively into stats but it seems he made an average gain of 4 metres per carry, the stats suggesting that Salford’s forwards made a higher average gain than the Wigan forwards. I’m a little shocked by that, I’d have said it would have been higher for Wigan. 

Salford's forwards were very good. Dudson was immense those last 20 minutes or so going forward, I've never seen before him play that well.

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Salford's forwards were very good. Dudson was immense those last 20 minutes or so going forward, I've never seen before him play that well.

What he said. Salford took the game to Wigan all night and it took excellent defence to only concede the points they did. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not massively into stats but it seems he made an average gain of 4 metres per carry, the stats suggesting that Salford’s forwards made a higher average gain than the Wigan forwards. I’m a little shocked by that, I’d have said it would have been higher for Wigan. 

Isn't that influenced by the game plan though. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Heard about this lad a couple of years ago and he was described to me as iron hard, he's certainly looking that way.

I posted shared the link Damien posted on Facebook and asked the question, if he's doing this at 18 what's he going to be like in his mid 20's? A mate suggested concussed - lets hope not!

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Are those stats correct...really?

I think they ought to be checked...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

When I played if I managed half that I'd be ecstatic (and needing an oxygen tent)! The times I topped 30 were considered achievements to remember.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I topped 70 tackles once.

It was one of my better seasons!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Does it count as a tackle if you're 3rd/4th man in?

I don't doubt that MS was involved in 72 tackles, but I would put a few quid on the fact that Steele Retchless had more involvement in stopping the opponent in his record than MS did in his.

6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Or he'll be burnt out from tackling so much!

Saying that, Houghton is still going about.

And why Houghton is always fubar'd by season end and his attack/distribution goes to pot, starts off great but by mid season he's already jaded. It's only in the Radford years (after he sacked of heremia in '14) that he's been left completely on his jack jones with no interchange (or rarely interchanged) and this has had a detrimental effect on his quality and consistency getting worse as the season goes on.

2 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

And why Houghton is always fubar'd by season end and his attack/distribution goes to pot, starts off great but by mid season he's already jaded. It's only in the Radford years (after he sacked of heremia in '14) that he's been left completely on his jack jones with no interchange (or rarely interchanged) and this has had a detrimental effect on his quality and consistency getting worse as the season goes on.

As soon as I saw you'd responded to this, I instantly knew it would be a rant about Radford.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

As soon as I saw you'd responded to this, I instantly knew it would be a rant about Radford.

Wow...you must be psychic.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I don't doubt that MS was involved in 72 tackles, but I would put a few quid on the fact that Steele Retchless had more involvement in stopping the opponent in his record than MS did in his.

Go on then, prove it.

9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

A number of those 3rd man in tackles were key in snuffing out the Salford attack as he took the standing man to ground as he was about to offload. In my book that still counts.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Archived