Jump to content

Morgan Smithies new Super League tackle record


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I topped 70 tackles once. It was one of my better seasons!

What an effort, 72 tackles in 62 minutes. A fine  player already at only 18 years of age.

And typical of this forum someone tries to rubbish a positive story for the game,dear me.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not massively into stats but it seems he made an average gain of 4 metres per carry, the stats suggesting that Salford’s forwards made a higher average gain than the Wigan forwards. I’m a little shocked by that, I’d have said it would have been higher for Wigan. 

Salford's forwards were very good. Dudson was immense those last 20 minutes or so going forward, I've never seen before him play that well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Salford's forwards were very good. Dudson was immense those last 20 minutes or so going forward, I've never seen before him play that well.

What he said. Salford took the game to Wigan all night and it took excellent defence to only concede the points they did. 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not massively into stats but it seems he made an average gain of 4 metres per carry, the stats suggesting that Salford’s forwards made a higher average gain than the Wigan forwards. I’m a little shocked by that, I’d have said it would have been higher for Wigan. 

Isn't that influenced by the game plan though. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard about this lad a couple of years ago and he was described to me as iron hard, he's certainly looking that way.

I posted shared the link Damien posted on Facebook and asked the question, if he's doing this at 18 what's he going to be like in his mid 20's? A mate suggested concussed - lets hope not!

  • Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those stats correct...really?

I think they ought to be checked...

                                    "It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I played if I managed half that I'd be ecstatic (and needing an oxygen tent)! The times I topped 30 were considered achievements to remember.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it count as a tackle if you're 3rd/4th man in?

I don't doubt that MS was involved in 72 tackles, but I would put a few quid on the fact that Steele Retchless had more involvement in stopping the opponent in his record than MS did in his.

 

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Or he'll be burnt out from tackling so much!

Saying that, Houghton is still going about.

And why Houghton is always fubar'd by season end and his attack/distribution goes to pot, starts off great but by mid season he's already jaded. It's only in the Radford years (after he sacked of heremia in '14) that he's been left completely on his jack jones with no interchange (or rarely interchanged) and this has had a detrimental effect on his quality and consistency getting worse as the season goes on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

And why Houghton is always fubar'd by season end and his attack/distribution goes to pot, starts off great but by mid season he's already jaded. It's only in the Radford years (after he sacked of heremia in '14) that he's been left completely on his jack jones with no interchange (or rarely interchanged) and this has had a detrimental effect on his quality and consistency getting worse as the season goes on.

As soon as I saw you'd responded to this, I instantly knew it would be a rant about Radford.

  • Haha 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

As soon as I saw you'd responded to this, I instantly knew it would be a rant about Radford.

Wow...you must be psychic.

  • Haha 1

                                    "It started out in innocence, the way that most things do,
                                     a thousand people crammed in one place, but the only face was you"

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Does it count as a tackle if you're 3rd/4th man in?

I don't doubt that MS was involved in 72 tackles, but I would put a few quid on the fact that Steele Retchless had more involvement in stopping the opponent in his record than MS did in his.

 

Go on then, prove it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Does it count as a tackle if you're 3rd/4th man in?

I don't doubt that MS was involved in 72 tackles, but I would put a few quid on the fact that Steele Retchless had more involvement in stopping the opponent in his record than MS did in his.

 

A number of those 3rd man in tackles were key in snuffing out the Salford attack as he took the standing man to ground as he was about to offload. In my book that still counts.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...