Toronto draw crowd of 9,325, Warrington draw crowd of 5,625

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, krakauer said:

Ok. most of the times. Yet there will be games I feel I have to start learning from scratch again.

I think most fans are now more aware of the basic ref calls/hand signals. I remember we used to cheer on a try when it was held up:)

Understandable mate, its not easy trying to pick up a new game, fair play to you. I've tried to get into NFL since I moved to the US and obviously the basics are easy enough but the tactical side is difficult. The more you learn the easier it is to enjoy though, as with anything.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Why on earth would that matter? 

Teams all over the place are encouraging, and building their stadiums specifically to facilitate the social aspect of being at games. End zone patios / party decks, outside viewing areas, bars within the stadium. Check out Pil Country in Regina, Coors Light Patio and the Stipley in Hamilton,  the Flight Deck in Montreal, I know the Cowboys have one as well, Edmonton removed a bunch of seats to do it.

Why are so many Brits so hung up on the fact that there's a beer garden?  I thought you guys like beer and like to drink? As mentioned above,  it's not a unique concept to have the party end zone, the only unique part was inviting the brewers to set up their booths like a beer festival, which was really just a solution to the lack of facilities at the stadium.  Why is it such a foreign concept that gets ragged on all the time? 

Its old fashioned biblical Envy. Its everywhere over here, the most common emotion on display. Its green, its gut wrenching, it stinks.

11 hours ago, TIWIT said:

I think I see your point. You're essentially saying we're comparing apples to oranges, i.e., that it's not fair to compare that a Championship club playing on a Saturday afternoon drew 3700 more fans to their game than a Super League club drew playing on Thursday night. Or Friday night for that matter, as Saturday's Wolfpack crowd was also (slightly) bigger than Wigans that night.

Since SL17 hasn't replied, let me continue:

YOU MISSED THE POINT!

The point is that Toronto drew 9325 apples and Warrington 5625 oranges to their respective playoff games. Except for you, who knows or cares what the attendances might have been if Toronto played on Thursday night and Warrington Saturday afternoon? That's not what Sky wants, and they call the shots. And Sky is not going to order Toronto to play on a Thursday or Friday afternoon anymore than they would want an English club to play on a weekday afternoon. Although playing in a mostly-empty stadium will look familiar to many English fans.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

This something I have never really understood, if the London team moved en-bloc to Canada let's say to the new Ottawa club why would they suddenly become attractive enough to entice people to go and watch them?

On this site the Leigh club, player's and coach Paul Rowley were ridiculed, called and chastised for a good couple of seasons. Eleven of the squad, yes eleven plus the coach and assistant coach transfer to Toronto and suddenly those very same people who had cause to drag these same individuals through the dirt on these pages all of a sudden can't get enough of them and all because they exchanged the colour of their shirts, collectively as a group fans of the game could have watched them perform previously in the Leigh colours but chose not to, somebody please explain it to me.

Maybe people simply don't like Leigh?

3 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Why are so many Brits so hung up on the fact that there's a beer garden?  I thought you guys like beer and like to drink? As mentioned above,  it's not a unique concept to have the party end zone, the only unique part was inviting the brewers to set up their booths like a beer festival, which was really just a solution to the lack of facilities at the stadium.  Why is it such a foreign concept that gets ragged on all the time? 

They are questioning if it’s the beer they are showing up for or the game.

I think it’s a valid question. My brother lives in Texas and he got dragged along to see a baseball (Rounders to us) game. The amount of eating/drinking/chit chat/people wandering about and lack of attention on the game astounded him. It was more like a social gathering, a great big picnic, than a crowd that was there for the game.

Just now, DC77 said:

I think it’s a valid question. My brother lives in Texas and he:got dragged along to see a baseball (Rounders to us) game. The amount of eating/drinking/chit chat and lack of attention on the game astounded him. It was more like a social gathering, a great big picnic, than a crowd that was there for the game.

So if you buy tickets and merch go to a game and have a wonderful time that's wrong and you just shouldn't be supporting the team and the sport? Now baseball is ###### and I can't imagine actually just sitting there trying to watch it attentively, but don't people in the UK talk when at the game? what IS the UK RL experience exactly?

Is it possible that there are more happy people at one Wolfpack home game than all of the M62 corridor??

4 minutes ago, DC77 said:

I think it’s a valid question. My brother lives in Texas and he got dragged along to see a baseball (Rounders to us) game. The amount of eating/drinking/chit chat/people wandering about and lack of attention on the game astounded him. It was more like a social gathering, a great big picnic, than a crowd that was there for the game.

It's called "sports ENTERTAINMENT" for a reason.  Added emphasis on the entertainment.

At least they chat and socialize unlike football firms who just want to fight each other ? with the actual sport being of tertiary importance.

1 minute ago, DC77 said:

In the grand scheme of things does it really matter?  Most are there for the actual game AND a great game day experience. Others the social side of it. They are spending dollars whilst there . They don't spoil my enjoyment of the game and the post game is a fun atmosphere . Everyone goes home happy . Job done.

22 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Why does it matter?

It's like saying McDonalds is a successful burger franchise. But are people REALLY going for the burgers, or are they there for the fries or chicken or salads?

Doesn't really matter as long as McDs makes money and people were satisfied with their experience.  

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Unintentionally hilarious. There's something dreadfully wrong about showing up to a rugby league game and not knowing all 196 pages of the rule book, but it's okay to dismiss the beautiful, deeply strategic, almost perfect, and highly profitable, game of baseball as "rounders".

Club makes the same profit from tickets, food, drink and merch whether I know (or even care about) the game or not. Surely better to create a social event, picnic, tailgate party, fun day, kids' day, mushy pea day, dress-up day, beer festival or whatever and bring in the income? Love of the game will come later, if people feel like they had such a good time that they want to come back.

Baseball games often last for three hours or more. So yes, people to wander around and chat. Part of the event.

7 hours ago, POR said:

didn't see the game so how many of the 9325 were sat in the stands watching the rugby 

Shhhh I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, POR. You can watch the rugby from the Beer Garden! It's right behind the sticks!

On 23/09/2019 at 07:57, Anonymouse said:

It's easy to attract a large number through the gates if you are constantly seen as the invincible s . Would such high number turn up if they were in the SL and lost 1/2 of their home games or more ?

Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL last won a championship in 1967 and the games are jammed..plus you are likely assuming they will lose more than they win. It'll be the other way around...we will be expanding Lamport stadium in second half of 2020..watch!!

On 23/09/2019 at 04:21, Blind side johnny said:

But they aren't real home-grown RL fans - when will people understand?

1 Warrington fan is equivalent to 10 Canada casuals.

ermmm..I am a homegrown fan (even though I played RU as a youth), plenty of my fellow season ticket holders are and we bring more n more people with us to every game..casuals converted to f/t fans...works for me...

15 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

ermmm..I am a homegrown fan (even though I played RU as a youth), plenty of my fellow season ticket holders are and we bring more n more people with us to every game..casuals converted to f/t fans...works for me...

that one was said in jest

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

Now if Catalans don’t have a home game broadcaster the same being for Toronto! What home games are going to be broadcasted?

No reason whatsoever why Sky couldn’t force them to play a Thursday night away game if they opt for central funding.

No reason at all , other than being incredibly stupid 

14 hours ago, Loup said:

Unintentionally hilarious. There's something dreadfully wrong about showing up to a rugby league game and not knowing all 196 pages of the rule book, but it's okay to dismiss the beautiful, deeply strategic, almost perfect, and highly profitable, game of baseball as "rounders".

Club makes the same profit from tickets, food, drink and merch whether I know (or even care about) the game or not. Surely better to create a social event, picnic, tailgate party, fun day, kids' day, mushy pea day, dress-up day, beer festival or whatever and bring in the income? Love of the game will come later, if people feel like they had such a good time that they want to come back.

Baseball games often last for three hours or more. So yes, people to wander around and chat. Part of the event.

It is all down to the individual Loup, I understand completely why the stadia over there are equipped to wring every last dime out of the fans - that is if the fans go along to the contest not to view what the gathering of people is there fore i.e. the match, but to be there as a social get together were the sport on offer could be secondary.

Yes it is totally foriegn to me and I would suspect a lot of other British fan's, my whole point of going to the game is precisely to watch, comment and discuss every second of the action with the fan's around me, my build up to the match will start day's before reading any news of both teams expected selections who is in, who is out, I know all the player's in my team and all the oppositions barring those making debuts, my associates and I if we have not met earlier in the week we always meet up early match day (if we are home or away) we will discuss the selection of the coach, the tactics, how the bench should be utilused, the oppositions 'danger men', even the selected referee and his recent form. 

Come kick off it is 100% concentration on the sole reason why we are there i.e. what is taking place on the field, the number of times any one of us could be cringing, holding off the need to go for a pee till half time for fear of missing any of the action is legendary - and for those men of a certain age it gets harder as the years pass by - if a beer is wanted that also has to wait till half time, and if the queue is to long that it will cause missing the start of the second period, the beer can wait till the end. Post match whether that is immediately after the game or midweek (easy if we are travelling back together from an away fixture, maybe on the bus) it is the post mortem, we dissect the game, the performances, the tactics, the opposition in fact all aspects of what we have witnessed, that is an important aspect of the match day experience for us.

Now then, to me that is what being a devotee of the sport and a fan of my team is all about, the saying "going to the match" means just that "going to the match" I don't want to miss anything and in all honesty I can't understand why having paid for the privaledge to enter the stadium for the purpose of "going to the match" people or not attentive of the proceedings on show, but as I say each to their own.

15 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Oh dear, should I have put an emoji on my post to make it clearer?

?

There!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived