Newcastle v Doncaster - forward thinking

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done to both Newcastle and Doncaster on reaching the preliminary final.Have a great day and may the best team win.

Ignore themusician,another who doesn't understand the meaning of being constructive.Someone else who has never contributed anything to rl.

17 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes, how dare they expose the far greater number of union fans in Newcastle to TGG.... Next thing you know the Falcons fans might start supporting the Thunder once the Union season is done

Plum! 

There may be more union fans in Newcastle but they are way more football fans. A curtain raiser to a football game is better. But curtain raising for the inferior code kinda bothers me. Im guessing it's cause they under the same ownership and they are trying to create false unity between the two codes.

19 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

There may just be, it could be that some of those Falconers may just watch the RL match and then realising what is to follow what a load of *coal that other code is, *it is Newcastle after all.

I have said this before, a pub I used to frequent got a new landlord who was a staunch Rugger type, some his chums followed him as customers to his establishment especially when a rugger game was being broadcast on TV, now there happened to be a day when both a league and union games were on at the same time, there was two televisions on a larger wall probably some 3 mtrs apart which he put on both games, to witness each game in action simultaneously was quite astounding, the union game looked so slow and pedestrian in fact the amount of time there was no activity at all was quite eye opening, I always knew it was slow but to watch it in comparison to the League game was the best argument I could ever give as to which is best game to watch without saying a word.

I get they're trying to attract a new audience I just don't think it's the right way and the right one. And Newcastle is a football city surely they should be the main targets

12 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

There may be more union fans in Newcastle but they are way more football fans. A curtain raiser to a football game is better. But curtain raising for the inferior code kinda bothers me. Im guessing it's cause they under the same ownership and they are trying to create false unity between the two codes.

Curtain raiser to a football game ... hmm ... hows that supposed to happen with the change of posts and pitch markings ... that turn around's not going to happen in time for it ever to be a curtain raiser.

Yes the Thunder and Falcon's are both owned/run by Newcastle Rugby so same ownership but there is no false unity, the owner wants both teams playing at the top level producing local talent, shared facilities, no bias.

1 minute ago, NERugbyDad said:

Curtain raiser to a football game ... hmm ... hows that supposed to happen with the change of posts and pitch markings ... that turn around's not going to happen in time for it ever to be a curtain raiser.

Yes the Thunder and Falcon's are both owned/run by Newcastle Rugby so same ownership but there is no false unity, the owner wants both teams playing at the top level producing local talent, shared facilities, no bias.

There's no unity between rugby union and rugby league fans. That's what I mean. 

46 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

One of the most bizarre and ridiculous comments i've ever seen on here.

12 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

There's no unity between rugby union and rugby league fans. That's what I mean. 

I'm still pretty new to Rugby, both league and union, as I was dragged in to it by my sons starting to play just under 2 years ago, myself I played Ice Hockey. Both sons play both codes, one prefers league one prefers union but both love to play either. I would say that most of their team mates from their league teams also play union (at least 80%). Coming from a non traditional area such as Newcastle I would say there is fair bit of unity between the codes which is aided by the fact that the Thunder and Falcons have the same owner and that Sundays double header can potentially push this on further.

Obviously there is still prejudice between the codes, I've experienced this both from union toward league and visa versa, yourself being a shining example. Personally I don't see the point, I'll watch my sons play both, I'm happy to watch the Thunder or the Falcons. I prefer to watch the Thunder and I still don't understand the need to kick so bloody much in union, but these are my personal opinions and if someone else thinks different ... fair enough their entitled to their opinion as long as they don't try to spoil others enjoyment.

3 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

I'm still pretty new to Rugby, both league and union, as I was dragged in to it by my sons starting to play just under 2 years ago, myself I played Ice Hockey. Both sons play both codes, one prefers league one prefers union but both love to play either. I would say that most of their team mates from their league teams also play union (at least 80%). Coming from a non traditional area such as Newcastle I would say there is fair bit of unity between the codes which is aided by the fact that the Thunder and Falcons have the same owner and that Sundays double header can potentially push this on further.

Obviously there is still prejudice between the codes, I've experienced this both from union toward league and visa versa, yourself being a shining example. Personally I don't see the point, I'll watch my sons play both, I'm happy to watch the Thunder or the Falcons. I prefer to watch the Thunder and I still don't understand the need to kick so bloody much in union, but these are my personal opinions and if someone else thinks different ... fair enough their entitled to their opinion as long as they don't try to spoil others enjoyment.

If there was unity then the thunder would have as much support as the falcons but that's not the case. They are two different sports. And only one can be king.

17 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

If there was unity then the thunder would have as much support as the falcons but that's not the case. They are two different sports. And only one can be king.

Because the disparity in support would have nothing to do with the fact that one team has been playing in the top tier of their sport for a sustained period of time (till this year) whilst the other is in the 3rd tier!

36 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

I asked previously on this thread but you probably missed it, so other than getting non-RL fans in to watch and see if they enjoy it, how would you suggest Newcastle Thunder increase their fan base?

32 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Because the disparity in support would have nothing to do with the fact that one team has been playing in the top tier of their sport for a sustained period of time (till this year) whilst the other is in the 3rd tier!

it would be interesting if Thunder were promoted and played the likes of York, Bradford, Widnes how theirs would compare with Fakcons’ Attendances v Bedford, Jersey etc. 

There is unity. The staff are enthusiastic when you see them at union or league events. 

1 hour ago, T Paul said:

it would be interesting if Thunder were promoted and played the likes of York, Bradford, Widnes how theirs would compare with Fakcons’ Attendances v Bedford, Jersey etc. 

There is unity. The staff are enthusiastic when you see them at union or league events. 

Unity in the organisation yes because the owners own both clubs. But you trying to tell me league and union fans like each others codes?

8 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

Unity in the organisation yes because the owners own both clubs. But you trying to tell me league and union fans like each others codes?

Some do. Know some southerners who like both codes. Know people in St Helens who like both codes. Have a relative that played RL as a full-time job that watches both codes now. 

1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

Yes a lot do, and there are a lot of Union fans who’d watch a game of League if it was on. The juvenile rivalry is all one way and is stunting our game. 

5 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Wouldn’t class it as a curtain raiser for the RU. Think it’s wiser to have RL on first as the audience will be at it’s biggest as the game finishes.

Archived