Cycling World Championships

What a cracking race yesterday Junior Time trials were, both winners had problems to overcome, when the Junior Womens leader took a wrong turn, and had to back up, and the Men's winner had to change his bike at the first corner, then got stuck behind a team car. At half-way he was 30 seconds behind, and came back to win by just over 7 seconds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cycling/49798283

Sounds like the weather is causing trouble today.  They have had to delay the Women's TT, and Hayley Simmonds (the British rider) is not happy at all judging by her interview just then.

I went on Saturday to watch the para event.  It was a really good day and great event.  Probably not the strongest of fields but still nice to see plenty of British success and some fantastic crowds though I'm not entirely sure that they knew what they were watching.

23 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Reminded me of the time I hit a huge diesel spill on a bend down a country lane at speed. I bet he ended up smelling a lot better than I did and it looked like he lost a lot less skin.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Very impressive performance by Rohan Dennis in yesterday's men's elite TT and once again the 19 year old Belgian Remco Evenepoel caught the eye with second place. So good he's skipped the under 23s race and gone straight to the elite competition.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

Ethan Haytor top 10 in the time trial yesterday.  He is a new name to me these past few months.  Seems to be a genuine talent. 

Not sure if Tom Pidock is in the road race?

I'm fairly sure I've seen Ethan racing on the track.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 20/09/2021 at 20:10, Charlie RL said:

Ethan Haytor top 10 in the time trial yesterday.  He is a new name to me these past few months.  Seems to be a genuine talent. 

Not sure if Tom Pidock is in the road race?

As you might well know, Hayter was just pipped at the death by Wout van Aert on the final stage of the Tour of Britain. Anybody who gets within six seconds of van Aert in anything has got to be taken seriously.

Haven't seen the line-ups for tomorrow yet but I know Tom Pidcock was down to ride the road race. Not that you'd know it but he's been carrying a knee injury all year and plans to ride the World Championships then get it sorted.

On 20/09/2021 at 21:01, Futtocks said:

I'm fairly sure I've seen Ethan racing on the track.

You're not wrong.

Won a silver in the madison at the Olympics.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/09/2021 at 20:09, Ullman said:

You're not wrong.

Won a silver in the madison at the Olympics.

Ethan Hayter's just marmalised the entire field in the World Championship Omnium. In the points race, he took a lap off the peloton without any help from another rider... then did it again near the end of the race, even though he didn't need to.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My only gripe is that the once-thrilling Keirin races have become so sanitised and dull, they are hardly worth watching any more.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ethan Hayter's just marmalised the entire field in the World Championship Omnium. In the points race, he took a lap off the peloton without any help from another rider... then did it again near the end of the race, even though he didn't need to.

Less than two weeks after winning the British individual time trial championship in Lincolnshire. What a year he's having.

His younger brother Leo looks like he might be one to watch too. He won the under 23 ITT on the same day as Ethan won the elite title.

Archived