good money if you can get it

tms

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

If and when Toronto get in SL who is the best NRL prop forward who can be signed...needs to be a plow and big hitter.  Toronto wants to sign him.  Noble to Argyle, "Yes Sir."

If and when Toronto get in SL who is the best NRL second row who can be signed...must be an offensive threat and able to run and make ground on the fringes.  Toronto want to sign him.  Noble to Argyle, "Yes Sir."

Wait for an announcement after the Union World Cup...Toronto is working on the press release now.  We all know who it is.  Noble to Argyle, "Press releas is already made up Sir."

Who can we sign for really cheap as we have used are marque allowance by paying Ricky Leutele silly money and signed SBW.  We have then used the rest of our salary cap on a top NRL prop and backrower.  Noble to Argyle "Jamie Ellis sir"

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the salary cap regulations:

https://www.rugby-league.com/salary_cap_regulations

This certainly gives a leg up to clubs in the UK with established academies because they get £100,000 dispensation for producing players and should a club trained player be designated as marquee then they only count as £75,000 towards the cap. 

The bit I would think Toronto should be looking at exploiting is the new talent dispensation. Plenty of american/Canadian football players coming through college over there that won't make it as pros and will certainly have transferable skills. Could sign some fast, powerful blokes for whatever money they want and not have them count towards the cap, at least in their first year. The same players could also be brought into an academy set up to develop them a bit slower over a period of a couple of years. 

Genuine question (seems everyone says that about Toronto recently), how are Toronto progressing in terms of academy/player development? 

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

This is the salary cap regulations:

https://www.rugby-league.com/salary_cap_regulations

This certainly gives a leg up to clubs in the UK with established academies because they get £100,000 dispensation for producing players and should a club trained player be designated as marquee then they only count as £75,000 towards the cap. 

The bit I would think Toronto should be looking at exploiting is the new talent dispensation. Plenty of american/Canadian football players coming through college over there that won't make it as pros and will certainly have transferable skills. Could sign some fast, powerful blokes for whatever money they want and not have them count towards the cap, at least in their first year. The same players could also be brought into an academy set up to develop them a bit slower over a period of a couple of years. 

Genuine question (seems everyone says that about Toronto recently), how are Toronto progressing in terms of academy/player development? 

I think player development will happen much like Canadian Football and Hockey in Canada.

Unlike Rugby, there is no real or competitive adult amateur football in Canada.  Kids play minor football while growing up with the hope of getting scouted to a University.  If they make it to University they play another four years and then they either go pro or drop out of the game.  It's a pipeline and they either make the show aka TWP and hopefully other clubs in the future or they stop playing and become fans.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Slightly less than reported at the time he was signing - https://www.zerotackle.com/reports-ricky-leutele-to-join-toronto-wolfpack-in-2019-33186/

I wonder what has brought the salary of a Toronto player into a topic of discussion,all of a sudden?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Not as cruel as this forum.  I get the feeling all Rugby League fans are really just clones of Simon Cowell.

More pleasure comes to these guys from having something to grumble about than a positive story. Northern/All of England seems to be the social media of the world, feed on negativity.

Serious need of some vitamin D.

38 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

More pleasure comes to these guys from having something to grumble about than a positive story. Northern/All of England seems to be the social media of the world, feed on negativity.

Serious need of some vitamin D.

Hence my comment ?

They need more sun!

3 hours ago, POR said:

When you hear the words ‘most expensive centre’, names such as Australia stars Latrell Mitchell, Josh Morris or Will Chambers may come to mind.

It will come as a surprise, therefore, that the world’s highest-paid centre doesn’t actually play in the NRL, nor does he compete in Super League.

That’s because it’s Toronto flyer Ricky Leutele.

The 29-year-old was the Wolfpack’s highest-profile recruit to date when he signed from Cronulla ahead of this season, signing a deal earning him around £430,000 ($800,000) per year.

Only thing that surprises me is that Mitchell and Chambers aren’t on more

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Only one more on the marquee rule K'man and that is 300K of your 1.8M, I told you the other day you can't buy your way to success in RL rules, I will take you much more seriously when you start listening and then talking sense.

Harry its actually you who haven't figured it out yet...I'm trying ...I'm really trying with you but you need to take the ear plugs out...Okay are you listening now:  "We are coming for you Harry...we are going to take the whole thing over."

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

We are well on our way and making great progress...I was sitting beside a Board Member of the CRL last game and he simply could not believe the progress we have made in such a short time...he was an Aussie transplant and he just could not believe the speed that we operate at both on and off the field.

No worries.

1 hour ago, Gates1 said:

Who can we sign for really cheap as we have used are marque allowance by paying Ricky Leutele silly money and signed SBW.  We have then used the rest of our salary cap on a top NRL prop and backrower.  Noble to Argyle "Jamie Ellis sir"

Get off the booze...its affecting your logic.

3 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

You could have bought someone else instead. Plenty of better players out there for £400k.

But how many of the very best would want to play in the world's 3rd or (probably) 4th best league?

As it is, attracting the best players to SL (2nd best) is nigh on impossible unless they are just looking for a stint in England (holiday) and/or are for some reason unable to play in the NRL and/or are crocked and looking for their last contract..

9 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

All depends on who is working the calculator my friend...all depends on the operator....thought you would know that.

If the RL aren't confident that Toronto will comply with and can be effectively monitored in relation to salary then thet shouldn't be aĺlowed admission, simples.

If you think it is as simple as signing a team of superstars and pretending they aren't been paid the salary they could easily attract elsewhere your a little niave and will quickly find yourselves out on a limb.

21 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

If the RL aren't confident that Toronto will comply with and can be effectively monitored in relation to salary then thet shouldn't be aĺlowed admission, simples.

If you think it is as simple as signing a team of superstars and pretending they aren't been paid the salary they could easily attract elsewhere your a little niave and will quickly find yourselves out on a limb.

I think you guys are just chicken over there....what are you afraid of?...a bit of competition.  Don't tell me Elstone and Rimmer are hiding behind MAMAS SKIRT AGAIN!

In case no one has ever listened to any Podcasts that had any SL players on it I'm pretty sure that Toronto won't have issues finding quality players. Every time a player is asked on the full eighthly, Jy Hitcoks show or on BBC they are always saying the would love to, its a fantastic opportunity and they love it. But hey its not about them right, a few tin hats on forums and closed minded greedy owners know best best for everyone.

Been three years of naysays eating their words so far...they must be tasty.

59 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

In case no one has ever listened to any Podcasts that had any SL players on it I'm pretty sure that Toronto won't have issues finding quality players. Every time a player is asked on the full eighthly, Jy Hitcoks show or on BBC they are always saying the would love to, its a fantastic opportunity and they love it. But hey its not about them right, a few tin hats on forums and closed minded greedy owners know best best for everyone.

Been three years of naysays eating their words so far...they must be tasty.

Exactly. We've long complained about the lack of opportunities for our players compared to kick and clap. Toronto, Catalans and Toulouse really open things up for us.

Super League pays a lot more money and usually longer contracts to get NRL players to play in England, its a fact.

I suspect the Wolfpack have to go up a couple of levels above that to get someone to play for them and in the Championship.

Any Club that pays a player like Leutele $800K a year is going to have problems going forward.

If it was player like Munster or Keary fair enough.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

55 minutes ago, Allora said:

Super League pays a lot more money and usually longer contracts to get NRL players to play in England, its a fact.

I suspect the Wolfpack have to go up a couple of levels above that to get someone to play for them and in the Championship.

Any Club that pays a player like Leutele $800K a year is going to have problems going forward.

If it was player like Munster or Cleary fair enough.

Munster and Cleary it is then...I'll take your word on it!

Archived