https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/united-states/new-texas-rugby-league-on-the-drawing-board

Hot on the heels of our reports on the establishment of a new rugby league competition in California, comes news of discussions about another new league, this time in Texas.

While the idea is still very much in the formative stages, ideally there would be a four-team competition with clubs based in the major cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio with the new Texas Rugby League kicking off in the summer of 2020.

Texas-based Chris Milledge is the driving force behind the new league in the lone star state. His footballing background includes time with the Houston Sabercats in Major League Rugby and prior to that he played union and league in Byron Bay in northern New South Wales in Australia.

He says his rugby league experiences down under have made him passionate about starting a comp in Texas.

“I think the USARL is doing great things and instead of waiting for those things to happen I want to take the initiative and get the ball rolling,” Milledge enthuses. “I think Texas is the perfect place to start up some league teams with the size of our cities and all the athletes around.

“The US is going through an exciting time with the growth of rugby league. California is starting up their competition on the west coast and I hope that Texas is the next in line for rugby league expansion in the US.”

50 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/united-states/new-texas-rugby-league-on-the-drawing-board

Hot on the heels of our reports on the establishment of a new rugby league competition in California, comes news of discussions about another new league, this time in Texas.

While the idea is still very much in the formative stages, ideally there would be a four-team competition with clubs based in the major cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio with the new Texas Rugby League kicking off in the summer of 2020.

Texas-based Chris Milledge is the driving force behind the new league in the lone star state. His footballing background includes time with the Houston Sabercats in Major League Rugby and prior to that he played union and league in Byron Bay in northern New South Wales in Australia.

He says his rugby league experiences down under have made him passionate about starting a comp in Texas.

“I think the USARL is doing great things and instead of waiting for those things to happen I want to take the initiative and get the ball rolling,” Milledge enthuses. “I think Texas is the perfect place to start up some league teams with the size of our cities and all the athletes around.

“The US is going through an exciting time with the growth of rugby league. California is starting up their competition on the west coast and I hope that Texas is the next in line for rugby league expansion in the US.”

This has been posted before

Archived