Britain's Got Talent

Rugby League World - Issue 462 (Oct 2019) - In shops from Friday 27th Sept, online from Thur 26th Sept at www.totalrl.com/rlw

Available by post - single copies or subscriptions - from www.totalrl.com/shop

See what's inside below...

spacer.png

The Lions are roaring back into action later this year when Great Britain will head off on tour to New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. We talk to some of the stars who will be aiming to pull on the red, white and blue shirt for the first time, plus Wigan’s Sean O’Loughlin who has been there, done that all before and is relishing the chance to do it again. We also count down the top ten Great Britain appearance makers. How many could you name?

Referees are always in the spotlight but is the scrutiny they face always fair? Following St Helens chief Eamonn McManus’ scathing attack on Cup final referee Robert Hicks, we discuss this burning topic in our latest Talking Point.

Catalans Dragons star Sam Tomkins tells us how he’s getting on with his French, and who he thinks is the best fullback in Super League in our latest Quickfire Q & A where fans set the questions and our Time Machine takes a trip back to 2002 and a controversial Super League Grand Final between Bradford Bulls and St Helens. We can’t tinker with history and change the result though, sorry Bulls fans!

In the Championship, we speak to York City Knights chairman Jon Flatman on a ground-breaking debut season and we celebrate Whitehaven’s promotion from League 1 in the company of head coach Gary Charlton.

Verity Smith has seen Rugby League from two extremes - the good, and the very bad. The front rower has had to experience ignorance and prejudice all his life as a transgender male and talks to us about his wildly differing experiences in a sport that likes to boast about its inclusivity.

Our Women’s Rugby League coverage focuses on St Helens star Chantelle Crowl who is looking ahead to representing England on tour in Australia and Papua New Guinea.

On the international scene, we’ve got an in depth interview with Serbia’s new head coach, a look at Rugby League development in the South Pacific Norfolk Island, we find out how GB Pioneers are boosting the game in Albania and we bring you an astonishing individual story of courage in the face of adversity from Canada. We also say ‘bonjour’ to a new Treiziste Diarist who will keep us updated on developments in France.

All this and plenty more too, order your copy now!

Rugby League World - Issue 462 (Oct 2019) - In shops from Friday 27th Sept, online from Thur 26th Sept at www.totalrl.com/rlw

Available by post - single copies or subscriptions - from www.totalrl.com/shop

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Seriously, you've got a has-being front and central, just wow!

You mean the current captain of Wigan and England and probably Great Britain? - Just Wow - At your comment! (are you 12 by the way?)

I would love to be a has (being?) been then, and so would every player in SL.

19 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

You mean the current captain of Wigan and England and probably Great Britain? - Just Wow - At your comment! (are you 12 by the way?)

I would love to be a has (being?) been then, and so would every player in SL.

Yeah, a has being, WAS a great player, now can barely string a few games together as he's biscuit, should have young guns on the front, the future, not the past!

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

Who said Rugby League fans are always negative, eh... ?

Denton yesterday...

Image result for negative image

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

11 hours ago, John Drake said:

Who said Rugby League fans are always negative, eh... ?

But we are allowed an opinion John, personally I am spending my hard earned in making the trip for me and her indoors, and after witnessing the last performance's that Shaun has put in he is nowhere near good enough now, for many years he would have been the first name on the team sheet for me, but realistically his time has past him by, he will not make the WC in '21 so use the place he will take up if selected in giving someone expected the experience, it is the sensible thing to do.

14 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

You mean the current captain of Wigan and England and probably Great Britain?

I would absolutely staggered if he is , and very surprised if he’s even involved . It’s time to move on and let him see out what time he has at  Wigan .

14 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Yeah, a has being, WAS a great player, now can barely string a few games together as he's biscuit, should have young guns on the front, the future, not the past!

As I said Marra - the Current Captain of those teams. If its between you and the Manager I think we all know who knows best.

I thought it was a great magazine front cover, so lm looking forward to reading it this month.

Just now, DavidM said:

I would absolutely staggered if he is , and very surprised if he’s even involved . It’s time to move on and let him see out what time he has at  Wigan .

Yep agreed but until the manager says different he is Captain of Wigan and England and the fact GB got him to put on the new GB top for publicly says he has a chance.

Time to move on though.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do any of you actually decide whether or not to buy this magazine because of the photo on the cover, like teenage girls choosing between Smash Hits and Just Seventeen in the 80s?

I subscribe lad - Will Carlin could be on the cover for all I know until it pops through my door.

Take it as a forum member you read the magazine as well.

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I subscribe lad - Will Carlin could be on the cover for all I know until it pops through my door.

Yeah I subscribe too. I was just amazed at how people above seem to care what photo is on the cover. 

7 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

As I said Marra - the Current Captain of those teams. If its between you and the Manager I think we all know who knows best.

I thought it was a great magazine front cover, so lm looking forward to reading it this month.

What has the manager got to do with the front cover of the 'comic'? The image should be one that shows us the players the GB side will be formed of, not players who were (past tense) in the side. This is pretty much the same thing that has gone on in RL for generations both in terms of thinking both in the selectors smoke rooms of the past and even supporters, look where it has got us!

The Open Rugby that I grew up with didn't hold back in slating the old boys for including the old guard and wanted to give the upcoming talent from other clubs who weren't your leeds, bradford's

From Issue 49 Jan'83 discussing the mauling the GB team had.

"The first step on the road to recovery will be to have some signs that we have a team of selectors capable of putting out the most suitable 13 players to represent our country, and that, in the short term, we can win back a little self respect.

it goes on to say "We have to make a start in these matches (against France in the Feb) in showing that we really DO want to build a successful international future after the last few years of disappointing selections" and "it isn't going to be easy, but let us hope some short term lessons have been learned from the recent test series. Those lessons should include, the basic one, that some players' Test careers should be over, New blood has to be tried."

The editors/owners of the modern version of OR basically falls back into the old ways and ignores the editors of the past who saw precisely what was going wrong, giving old lags another go, so they stick SoL front and centre, very inspiring ... not!

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

I buy it regardless. But the cover is important, particularly for attracting the casual purchaser. 

I’d be interested to know of the circulation how many subscribe and how many are casual purchasers. John are you able to say that? (fair enough if not).  

9 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I had no idea it was obligatory. ?

(I'd better nip out and buy a copy before word gets out and I'm banned. ☹️ )

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

10 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

So, as a member of the selection committee, are you publicly confirming that O'Loughlin will not be touring this winter?

Honest answer please Jim, I am supposing you have watched the recent games your team has taken part in and if so observed Shaun's contribution to those game's, my opinion is he is just a former shadow of the great player he was, infact I am sure having witnessed those performances there must be players sat in the stands at the DW who could contribute more and more effectively than Shaun us doing.

I would actually fear for his safety now in the test areana, the speed, intensity and sheer physicality is a good number of notches higher than SL and I just don't see him performing as capably as we know he could once do, those monoliths that go under the guise of Tongan and Kiwi forwards will in know way whatsoever be respectful of his past reputation, he is just another body to knock over.

What do you think Jim?

Archived