Britain's Got Talent

As I Wigan fan my view is he looks his age on the pitch.  Runs at half the speed he used to, isn’t going into contact as hard (fear of injury I suspect), does limited minutes and isn’t having the same impact with distribution he did a few years ago.

His brain is keeping him in it and I’ve no doubt he could step up another gear in e.g. a final or international match but on current form I wouldn’t pick him for GB.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

So, as a member of the selection committee, are you publicly confirming that O'Loughlin will not be touring this winter?

He's not good enough to be in the GB team, not even close. we can ill afford to be carrying a player in a match who is made of biscuit and is contributing less than a better player. Bennett will include him because Bennett doesn't have the guts to drop him and tell him he's done, he won't drop him because Bennett is a conservative coach, hence why we got beaten in the last Rugby world Cup. 

In fact Bennett ignored Liam watts completely despite him offering more in attack than James Graham does, he's a better passer in that role than Graham and arguably a better tackler, he was red hot that year and Bennett didn't even include him in the squad.

I still maintain that Bennett isn't the man to take the country/team to glory, he's had the personnel but no guts and tactically wrong in terms of winning the big games when it counted.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Apart from his 7 grand final wins 

So what, as I said, he was a great player, whatever happened in the past is the past, was lucky to make the last GF, it's also not international level in case you didn't know. If he's included then it proves bennett is a coward and clueless.

2 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

So what, as I said, he was a great player, whatever happened in the past is the past, was lucky to make the last GF, it's also not international level in case you didn't know. If he's included then it proves bennett is a coward and clueless.

Bennett’s 7 grand final wins .... showing his capacity to deliver in big games . I wouldn’t entertain OLoughlin 

17 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

What has the manager got to do with the front cover of the 'comic'? The image should be one that shows us the players the GB side will be formed of, not players who were (past tense) in the side. This is pretty much the same thing that has gone on in RL for generations both in terms of thinking both in the selectors smoke rooms of the past and even supporters, look where it has got us!

The Open Rugby that I grew up with didn't hold back in slating the old boys for including the old guard and wanted to give the upcoming talent from other clubs who weren't your leeds, bradford's

From Issue 49 Jan'83 discussing the mauling the GB team had.

"The first step on the road to recovery will be to have some signs that we have a team of selectors capable of putting out the most suitable 13 players to represent our country, and that, in the short term, we can win back a little self respect.

it goes on to say "We have to make a start in these matches (against France in the Feb) in showing that we really DO want to build a successful international future after the last few years of disappointing selections" and "it isn't going to be easy, but let us hope some short term lessons have been learned from the recent test series. Those lessons should include, the basic one, that some players' Test careers should be over, New blood has to be tried."

The editors/owners of the modern version of OR basically falls back into the old ways and ignores the editors of the past who saw precisely what was going wrong, giving old lags another go, so they stick SoL front and centre, very inspiring ... not!

here's "social media outrage culture" summed up in one single forum post.

As i've said for many many years, the internet isn't for EVERYONE

25 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

here's "social media outrage culture" summed up in one single forum post.

As i've said for many many years, the internet isn't for EVERYONE

Oh so it's for you, get over yourself, people can have an opinion on anything whether it's down the pub or over the airwaves. Plus I've been 'online' since 1983 so whatever, have read and heard plenty of fools like you telling people they can't have opinions and simply wade in with the usual insults because you don't like what someone has said.

Weak minded people like you are the ones who should avoid the internet, clearly it's too hard for you to grasp things like 'forums' and what they're for!

10 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I had no idea it was obligatory. ?

(I'd better nip out and buy a copy before word gets out and I'm banned. ☹️ )

Not sure why you are taking that stance lad - we were discussing the magazine cover so assumed you read it - very sorry for sending you into defence mode.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not sure why you are taking that stance lad - we were discussing the magazine cover so assumed you read it - very sorry for sending you into defence mode.

Sorry, wasn't in any particular mode, just a bit of fun.

I was taken with your line about the assumption that being a forum member means you must also buy the mag.

I don't buy any papers or mags these days, to be honest, well apart from the end of season issues from RL mags in 2016 and 2017 when there were splendid photographs adorning the cover from the Wembley finals of those two years.

Must dig them out again, can't quite recall who the winners were.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Oh so it's for you, get over yourself, people can have an opinion on anything whether it's down the pub or over the airwaves. Plus I've been 'online' since 1983 so whatever, have read and heard plenty of fools like you telling people they can't have opinions and simply wade in with the usual insults because you don't like what someone has said.

Weak minded people like you are the ones who should avoid the internet, clearly it's too hard for you to grasp things like 'forums' and what they're for!

Not sure he insulted you, but you certainly insulted him.

I guess you need to go and give yourself a talking too about being weak-minded.

On 25/09/2019 at 12:10, Harry Stottle said:

But we are allowed an opinion John, personally I am spending my hard earned in making the trip for me and her indoors, and after witnessing the last performance's that Shaun has put in he is nowhere near good enough now, for many years he would have been the first name on the team sheet for me, but realistically his time has past him by, he will not make the WC in '21 so use the place he will take up if selected in giving someone expected the experience, it is the sensible thing to do.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but just occasionally it would be nice if the immediate reaction wasn't to look for something to moan about and then pick up that ball and run with it to the point where in some people's heads it becomes as if we took a deliberate decision to create a terrible cover to present our sport in the worst possible light to as many people as possible.

I mean, seriously folks, why on earth would we ever do that???

None of us here mind criticism (I wouldn't open these threads on the mag every month to invite feedback otherwise) but only so long as it is constructive. Dead set moaning is a real turn off, as well as an enthusiasm killer.

That's why I include a summary of the contents here along with the cover, because there's a lot of variety inside and hopefully everyone, however picky, could find something that might interest them. Hey, I'm an optimist, ok!

I'll let you all into a secret. RLW covers don't always end up the way we plan them. Sometimes, you just can't get to speak to the players that you want to put on the cover, and we don't like to put players on the cover who aren't in the mag. That narrows our options. Then, you have to source photographs - not as easy as you might imagine - then you have think about the 'recognisability' (if that is even a word?) of the players you put on there: will the general public know who they are?

So, why did we want to include Sean O'Loughlin on this one? Well, he's a direct link with the last time Great Britain played. Simple as that, really. Inside, we've spoken to him about that, plus players who have never played for Great Britain but want to get their hands on a shirt this time round. That's the basis of the feature, and the cover illustrates that.

Does a player of O'Loughlin's stature and achievements deserve the sort of snarking he's had in this thread, just because we (not him) decided to put him on the cover of the mag this month? No, I don't think he does. It just gets harder to promote Rugby League to anyone when you have Rugby League fans rubbishing great players like that, in my view.

Not everyone on the forum will buy the mag, we know that. It's a tough market out there for any publication these days. We are grateful to those who do support the mag by parting with their hard earned cash to buy it, and we do our best each month to put together a product that is worth your money and that covers Rugby League in an interesting and informative way.

We read all the feedback on here, good and bad, and as I have already said, if it is constructive, we take it on board as best we can. But the kneejerk negativity or plain insults of the kind that have cropped up in this thread from certain quarters, nah, we can live without those.

On 26/09/2019 at 04:03, Old Frightful said:

I had no idea it was obligatory. ?

(I'd better nip out and buy a copy before word gets out and I'm banned. ☹️ )

Please post photographic evidence, my finger is hovering over the 'ban' button...! ?

59 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Please post photographic evidence, my finger is hovering over the 'ban' button...! ?

Ahem...

(Was a little while back when I nipped out...)

20190927_115717.jpg

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 25/09/2019 at 10:30, Number 16 said:

The content of this month's edition looks more interesting than of late. The cover... well I agree with many of the above comments. It's not a good one. That said, for some reason, very few are, but it's not as bad as some recent issues.

I'll still buy it though.

Its a white english bloke, thought that would be on point for you

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 26/09/2019 at 09:33, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I'd love to hear your opinions on Greta Thunberg...

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived