Sun 29 Sept: League 1 Preliminary Final: Newcastle Thunder v Doncaster KO 12 noon

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Newcastle Thunder
    • Doncaster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/19 at 11:00

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He started out as RL development officer for the NE, before being Wigan and then Sale Sharks CEO, IIRC. Also did loads of stuff for the RUWC and obviously been CEO of Newcastle Falcons for quite a while.

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

Every time I've heard mick hogan speak I've become immensely jealous that we don't have him and the thunders development programme at my club. He talks a brilliant game and is great to listen to on the app. 

Long may he remain involved in RL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

Every time I've heard mick hogan speak I've become immensely jealous that we don't have him and the thunders development programme at my club. He talks a brilliant game and is great to listen to on the app. 

I guess they are somewhat isolated from other clubs, so it's relatively hard to persuade part-time players at Championship/L1 level to join the club, but any players that come through their own academy are less likely to leave. So it is maybe a little easier for them as a club to justify spending a relatively large part of their income on development officers and running an academy.

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bloody hell! I've missed the game, I thought it was starting at 2 for some reason! Very annoyed!

Matches usually stay available to watch on catch-up on Twitch, and there was some excellent Rugby to be seen in this match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

For anyone who missed it, a really interesting half time discussion from Mick Hogan who explained about the new junior team starting up in West Newcastle (Prudhoe perhaps?) taking the number of teams to 14 in the region. The big thing though was that they’re increasing the number of development officers from 1.5 to 3.5 or 4 for next year to really build on those 14 teams. Presumably all funded by Thunder and the foundation. Great work

Thanks for those details, that was very insightful 

8 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Thanks for those details, that was very insightful 

Hogan also explained that they feel they have quite a good coverage with those 14 clubs now. So the focus will shift from getting new clubs to solidifying and developing those clubs into strong sustainable entities. This is really key, as we’ve seen clubs come and go before in the North East and other areas. This support will be vital. Really exciting and encouraging to hear. Great things going on up there and I hope they get promoted next week as I think they could bring a lot to the Championship and be a solid mid table Championship team

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

For anyone who missed it, a really interesting half time discussion from Mick Hogan who explained about the new junior team starting up in West Newcastle (Prudhoe perhaps?) taking the number of teams to 14 in the region. The big thing though was that they’re increasing the number of development officers from 1.5 to 3.5 or 4 for next year to really build on those 14 teams. Presumably all funded by Thunder and the foundation. Great work

That’s correct 

it’s going to be based out of Walbottle 

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Hogan also explained that they feel they have quite a good coverage with those 14 clubs now. So the focus will shift from getting new clubs to solidifying and developing those clubs into strong sustainable entities. This is really key, as we’ve seen clubs come and go before in the North East and other areas. This support will be vital. Really exciting and encouraging to hear. Great things going on up there and I hope they get promoted next week as I think they could bring a lot to the Championship and be a solid mid table Championship team

I'll be cheering them on to, but Oldham will be favourites given recent results between the two 

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

That’s correct 

it’s going to be based out of Walbottle 

Where are they going to be based out of?

Are Winlaton still going? 

I know they were an off shoot of the union team, and didn’t have a strong base or foundation so wouldn’t surprise me if they had disappeared 

3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I like the fact that their development and grass roots work is all self sufficient and managed by the club itself. They're not waiting for the RFL to do the work for them

As Hogan also said, this is a whole generation thing - he's looking at 20 years, not results next week. Something that the "so where's the full squad of Canadians?" mob might consider when they have their daily rant at Toronto.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I like the fact that their development and grass roots work is all self sufficient and managed by the club itself. They're not waiting for the RFL to do the work for them

I would assume the RFL do provide some funding for the academy though.

Really pleased for Newcastle. I was concerned for them after two home defeats against Doncaster this year, but today they rose to the occasion.

I do have a soft spot for Newcastle and hope they do well next week. But if they don't, Oldham have suffered a lot too in recent years and it would be great reward for their loyal fans to get back to the Championship.

Hopefully next year the Championships will have a finals day at a decent ground, could have 3 or 4 games - Women’s, Champ 1 & Championship finals all on the same day. Going to be a bit odd having a grand final at a ground that’s similar standard to a local leisure centres 5-a-side pitch. Dreadful viewing angles for any armchair viewers as well. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Archived