Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sun 29 Sept: League 1 Preliminary Final: Newcastle Thunder v Doncaster KO 12 noon

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Newcastle Thunder
      25
    • Doncaster
      10

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/19 at 11:00

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

For anyone who missed it, a really interesting half time discussion from Mick Hogan who explained about the new junior team starting up in West Newcastle (Prudhoe perhaps?) taking the number of teams to 14 in the region. The big thing though was that they’re increasing the number of development officers from 1.5 to 3.5 or 4 for next year to really build on those 14 teams. Presumably all funded by Thunder and the foundation. Great work

Every time I've heard mick hogan speak I've become immensely jealous that we don't have him and the thunders development programme at my club. He talks a brilliant game and is great to listen to on the app. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those short restarts are producing interesting outcomes.

The kicking/rushing side seems to have more than a fair chance of reclaiming possession as the defence is often static whereas the rushers are marauding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Chase has lost his head here, he won't finish this game. 

Standard Chase. Things not going his way and he gets frustrated and loses it. 

I expected more from Chase in this game, he definitely looks a shadow of his best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He started out as RL development officer for the NE, before being Wigan and then Sale Sharks CEO, IIRC. Also did loads of stuff for the RUWC and obviously been CEO of Newcastle Falcons for quite a while.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dkw said:

Every time I've heard mick hogan speak I've become immensely jealous that we don't have him and the thunders development programme at my club. He talks a brilliant game and is great to listen to on the app. 

Long may he remain involved in RL.

  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hat-trick for Gill!


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dkw said:

Every time I've heard mick hogan speak I've become immensely jealous that we don't have him and the thunders development programme at my club. He talks a brilliant game and is great to listen to on the app. 

I guess they are somewhat isolated from other clubs, so it's relatively hard to persuade part-time players at Championship/L1 level to join the club, but any players that come through their own academy are less likely to leave. So it is maybe a little easier for them as a club to justify spending a relatively large part of their income on development officers and running an academy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bloody hell! I've missed the game, I thought it was starting at 2 for some reason! Very annoyed!

Matches usually stay available to watch on catch-up on Twitch, and there was some excellent Rugby to be seen in this match.


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bloody hell! I've missed the game, I thought it was starting at 2 for some reason! Very annoyed!

If it’s any consolation, you missed a really good game 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final score Newcastle 34:4 Doncaster.

  • Like 3

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkw said:

Every time I've heard mick hogan speak I've become immensely jealous that we don't have him and the thunders development programme at my club. He talks a brilliant game and is great to listen to on the app. 

His brother, Hulk, is far more entertaining

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well played Thunder. A step too far for us today. You have my support next week. Well-deserved finalists.

We'll come back stronger next year. Preparation starts now and I'm confident Hall and Horne are more determined than ever.

Edited by Rob Nash
Typo
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

For anyone who missed it, a really interesting half time discussion from Mick Hogan who explained about the new junior team starting up in West Newcastle (Prudhoe perhaps?) taking the number of teams to 14 in the region. The big thing though was that they’re increasing the number of development officers from 1.5 to 3.5 or 4 for next year to really build on those 14 teams. Presumably all funded by Thunder and the foundation. Great work

Thanks for those details, that was very insightful 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Thanks for those details, that was very insightful 

Hogan also explained that they feel they have quite a good coverage with those 14 clubs now. So the focus will shift from getting new clubs to solidifying and developing those clubs into strong sustainable entities. This is really key, as we’ve seen clubs come and go before in the North East and other areas. This support will be vital. Really exciting and encouraging to hear. Great things going on up there and I hope they get promoted next week as I think they could bring a lot to the Championship and be a solid mid table Championship team

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

For anyone who missed it, a really interesting half time discussion from Mick Hogan who explained about the new junior team starting up in West Newcastle (Prudhoe perhaps?) taking the number of teams to 14 in the region. The big thing though was that they’re increasing the number of development officers from 1.5 to 3.5 or 4 for next year to really build on those 14 teams. Presumably all funded by Thunder and the foundation. Great work

That’s correct 

 

it’s going to be based out of Walbottle 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Hogan also explained that they feel they have quite a good coverage with those 14 clubs now. So the focus will shift from getting new clubs to solidifying and developing those clubs into strong sustainable entities. This is really key, as we’ve seen clubs come and go before in the North East and other areas. This support will be vital. Really exciting and encouraging to hear. Great things going on up there and I hope they get promoted next week as I think they could bring a lot to the Championship and be a solid mid table Championship team

I'll be cheering them on to, but Oldham will be favourites given recent results between the two 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

That’s correct 

 

it’s going to be based out of Walbottle 

Where are they going to be based out of?

Are Winlaton still going? 

I know they were an off shoot of the union team, and didn’t have a strong base or foundation so wouldn’t surprise me if they had disappeared 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the fact that their development and grass roots work is all self sufficient and managed by the club itself. They're not waiting for the RFL to do the work for them

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I like the fact that their development and grass roots work is all self sufficient and managed by the club itself. They're not waiting for the RFL to do the work for them

As Hogan also said, this is a whole generation thing - he's looking at 20 years, not results next week. Something that the "so where's the full squad of Canadians?" mob might consider when they have their daily rant at Toronto.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I like the fact that their development and grass roots work is all self sufficient and managed by the club itself. They're not waiting for the RFL to do the work for them

I would assume the RFL do provide some funding for the academy though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game really enjoyed it. Thunder impressive.

This Our League is great for the game.

The adverts for other forms of the game were magic as well.

  • Like 3

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...