Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sun 29 Sept: League 1 Preliminary Final: Newcastle Thunder v Doncaster KO 12 noon

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Newcastle Thunder
    • Doncaster

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/19 at 11:00

Really pleased for Newcastle. I was concerned for them after two home defeats against Doncaster this year, but today they rose to the occasion.

I do have a soft spot for Newcastle and hope they do well next week. But if they don't, Oldham have suffered a lot too in recent years and it would be great reward for their loyal fans to get back to the Championship.

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: International Wrap #6 - From Wayne's world to Wane's world? - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/11/international-wrap-6-from-waynes-world.html

Hopefully next year the Championships will have a finals day at a decent ground, could have 3 or 4 games - Women’s, Champ 1 & Championship finals all on the same day. Going to be a bit odd having a grand final at a ground that’s similar standard to a local leisure centres 5-a-side pitch. Dreadful viewing angles for any armchair viewers as well. 

• Haha 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners Letterheads Tickets Invitations Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Dewsbury Rams & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Judah Mazive for the 2019 Season

2 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

That’s correct 

it’s going to be based out of Walbottle 

Good news. Fills in a gap on the West side of the City.

13 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Good news. Fills in a gap on the West side of the City.

West of the city? Nicknamed the Magpies? I see what they did there.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Why do people have to exaggerate things. OK, Oldham's ground isn't the best but why use such untrue comparisons ?

Maybe I’m being a bit unfair on local leisure centres. 

• Like 2

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners Letterheads Tickets Invitations Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Dewsbury Rams & Hunslet RLFC

18 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

York's ground is hardly Wembley Stadium is it ?  However, I accept it for what it is ... a Championship venue.

We’re getting a brand new 8500+ capacity stadium next year to play in. Compared to Oldham’s ground it is better than Wembley Stadium. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

We’re getting a brand new 8500+ capacity stadium next year to play in. Compared to Oldham’s ground it is better than Wembley Stadium. 

Im pleased you're doing well, but Just think back 2 or 3 years when it looked like a 4g pitch in a leisure centre was just a dream for York. 

37 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Oldham will also be moving to another ground if they get promoted.

However, my original point was why make unfair comparisons ?

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Rochdale's or Swintons?😗

7 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Im pleased you're doing well, but Just think back 2 or 3 years when it looked like a 4g pitch in a leisure centre was just a dream for York. 

The new stadium was always happening and York RL were always going to play in it, so not really a dream but I see where you’re coming from. 

My main point was a final shouldn’t be being played at a ground of Oldham’s standard. It should be a special occasion for the teams and fans involved. 

• Like 1

Well done Thunder,hope you make the Championship.

The development work being done by Thunder,should be sufficient to make Rimmer resign for his utter incompetence elsewhere.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cookey said:

Well done Thunder,hope you make the Championship.

The development work being done by Thunder,should be sufficient to make Rimmer resign for his utter incompetence elsewhere.

In fairness,Thunder struck lucky with the return to the area/club of the very experienced,capable,forward-thinking Mick Hogan,who has proved himself at CEO level with the once big,and respected,club Wigan Warriors,and in the other code.

He returned at a time when other enthusiastic and capable people were getting things moving;none more so than the guy who got Cramlington Rockets shooting ahead.

Having good leadership is vital.Good teamwork equally as good.Then that rather important ingredient of money was added courtesy of the Falcons owner.

Ralph Rimmer may not have any of the above and is required over a larger area.

Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

14 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

The new stadium was always happening and York RL were always going to play in it, so not really a dream but I see where you’re coming from. 

My main point was a final shouldn’t be being played at a ground of Oldham’s standard. It should be a special occasion for the teams and fans involved. 

Would that still be a special occasion for the Oldham team and fans in having their home advantage taken away from them ?

15 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Which ground?

16 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Would that still be a special occasion for the Oldham team and fans in having their home advantage taken away from them ?

Should we have the SL Grand Final at St Helen's just so we don't take home advantage away? Makes it fair then.

9 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Should we have the SL Grand Final at St Helen's just so we don't take home advantage away? Makes it fair then.

Yes

Your original comment was ....

"My main point was a final shouldn’t be being played at a ground of Oldham’s standard. It should be a special occasion for the teams and fans involved. "

If it was the rule to play the final at a neutral venue then OK but you just didn't want it at Oldham and appeared it would be OK to play it at any other club ground.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

The final should always be played at a neutral venue as part of a finals day to make it a special occasion, not just for the fans but for the TV viewer and help sell sponsorship and the game as a whole. Also to avoid the chances of the final being played at a doss-hole like Oldham's. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

Also to avoid the chances of the final being played at a doss-hole like Oldham's. 

Yet again, why do you have to be so insulting ?

OK, you might not think it is up to the standard you expect and good luck to York if they are having a new stadium .... but just thank yourself lucky that you might have folk willing to put money into the club !

Think about that before your next insult please.

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

As was posted by "The Art of Hand and Foot" on page 1 of this thread ....

"Vestacare stadium won't be used in the championship. Probably be bower fold as last time. Or even, a long shot, boundary park."

Sorry I hadn’t gone through every post before asking the question, but is that a fact or just speculation? 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sorry I hadn’t gone through every post before asking the question, but is that a fact or just speculation? 

Depends on promotion. Vestacare isn't up to standard. Pitch is fine, it's the lack of facilities. Apparently stalybridge Celtic (bower fold) are open to us returning. As for boundary park,apparantly, there's history that needs sorting before it can be considered. But who knows. Let's get promoted first.