Sun 29 Sept: Championship Preliminary Final: Toulouse Olympique v Featherstone Rovers KO 6.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/19 at 17:30

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/09/2019 at 06:07, MADREDNIGE said:

Spreading? The crowds are dropping over here so what dose that tell you? 

Really...???

Great insight, so looking at all clubs across all Leagues, 2019 v 2018 looked like this:

• Leeds - Up
  • St Helens - Up
  • Wigan - Up
  • Hull FC - Up
  • Warrington - Up
  • Catalans - Up
  • Hull KR - Up
  • Castleford - Down
  • Wakefield - Up
  • Huddersfield - Down
  • Salford - Up
  • London - Up 
  • Widnes - Down
  • Toronto - Up
  • Bradford - Up
  • York - Up
  • Leigh - Down
  • Toulouse - Up
  • Featherstone - Down
  • Halifax - Up
  • Barrow - Up
  • Batley - Up
  • Dewsbury - Up
  • Swinton - Up
  • Sheffield - Up
  • Rochdale - Up
  • Newcastle - Up
  • Workington - Up
  • Whitehaven - Up
  • Keighley - Up
  • Doncaster - Down
  • Oldham - Up
  • Hunslet - Down
  • Skolars - Up
  • Coventry - Up
  • North Wales - Down
  • South Wales - Down
  •  

7 hours ago, Celt said:

Tells us that the last thing SuperLeague needs is another team from some place in West Yorkshire?

Well like I've said before we may as well stop wasting our money and let SL have who they want! 

7 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Really...???

Great insight, so looking at all clubs across all Leagues, 2019 v 2018 looked like this:

• Leeds - Up
  • St Helens - Up
  • Wigan - Up
  • Hull FC - Up
  • Warrington - Up
  • Catalans - Up
  • Hull KR - Up
  • Castleford - Down
  • Wakefield - Up
  • Huddersfield - Down
  • Salford - Up
  • London - Up 
  • Widnes - Down
  • Toronto - Up
  • Bradford - Up
  • York - Up
  • Leigh - Down
  • Toulouse - Up
  • Featherstone - Down
  • Halifax - Up
  • Barrow - Up
  • Batley - Up
  • Dewsbury - Up
  • Swinton - Up
  • Sheffield - Up
  • Rochdale - Up
  • Newcastle - Up
  • Workington - Up
  • Whitehaven - Up
  • Keighley - Up
  • Doncaster - Down
  • Oldham - Up
  • Hunslet - Down
  • Skolars - Up
  • Coventry - Up
  • North Wales - Down
  • South Wales - Down
  •  

Up by thousands? hundreds? or a few fans? 

9 hours ago, Celt said:

Tells us that the last thing SuperLeague needs is another team from some place in West Yorkshire?

if its needed or not it looks like they could well have to lump it, up the Rovers lets take the place that should of been ours in 1995 and do it ON THE PITCH

12 hours ago, Celt said:

No, Fev don't offer much do they? Other than having a stadium far better than Toulouse, Toronto, Cas & Wakefield, and on top of that they actually own it, which means they also bring in good revenue, both on match days and throughout the year.

A lot of folk also seem to forget that the Featherstone area, including the Fev halves of Pontefract and Sharlston, was in the days before Super League arguably the most productive hotbed of Rugby League talent within the game. Although they still produce loads of local talent it's maybe not as famous since they were unceremoniously omitted from Super League. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be????

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

No, Fev don't offer much do they? Other than having a stadium far better than Toulouse, Toronto, Cas & Wakefield, and on top of that they actually own it, which means they also bring in good revenue, both on match days and throughout the year.

A lot of folk also seem to forget that the Featherstone area, including the Fev halves of Pontefract and Sharlston, was in the days before Super League arguably the most productive hotbed of Rugby League talent within the game. Although they still produce loads of local talent it's maybe not as famous since they were unceremoniously omitted from Super League. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be????

Quite...and whilst people talk about Fev relying on Leeds, let's not forget that the likes of Rob Burrow, Zak Hardaker and the Briscoes all started off with Fev Lions (along with many other big SL names) and might have plied their SL trade with Fev rather than Leeds or elsewhere had their local club been in the top division.

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Fev are clearly a well run club that make the most of the player and fan bases in their area. So realistically, what sort of crowds do you think they could attract in Superleague? Could they get as high as 5k? Can they draw from beyond the town? Anything less, and the risk is the club ends up being overstretched and put at risk, when they've been a well run ship for years. 

3 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I would 100% agree with all of that Steve

However, it still remains a fact that if Featherstone were in SL next season we'd have three clubs within a few miles of each other, all within the Wakefield MDC.

IF Featherstone had been in SL all along - instead of Wakefield or Castleford - then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Everyone would agree that Featherstone brought plenty to SL. But, for whatever reason, that didn't happen and we are where are...

I just wish Featherstone could somehow magically be moved on the map to an area with less concentration of other clubs - but obviously that can't happen.

Just now, paulwalker71 said:

I would 100% agree with all of that Steve

However, it still remains a fact that if Featherstone were in SL next season we'd have three clubs within a few miles of each other, all within the Wakefield MDC.

IF Featherstone had been in SL all along - instead of Wakefield or Castleford - then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Everyone would agree that Featherstone brought plenty to SL. But, for whatever reason, that didn't happen and we are where are...

I just wish Featherstone could somehow magically be moved on the map to an area with less concentration of other clubs - but obviously that can't happen.

What is the problem with having the three WMDC Clubs in SL if they have earned the right to be there?

Just now, Celt said:

my reponse was a question - offering a possible solution to the shrinkage of the game claimed by 'Mad Red Nigel'.  I have no idea why he asked the question, but he felt the sport was shrinking, crowds wise.... (another poster proved him wrong) so i threw it out there that one idea might be to get some clubs from new places as opposed to West Yorkshire.  If W Yorks fans want to watch SuperLeague, they can watch Castleford or Leeds or Huddersfield (or even Wakefield if they really want to I suppose) so that market is well covered (saturated?)

I really don't remember how the Pontefract and Sharlston boroughs produced players in the 1980s, but I would hazard that it changes nothing now.  Players developed in W Yorks have a professional pathway (several in fact) without even moving house.  The whole of France has 2 professional teams, so I would suggest opening up that location would offer more than throwing in yet another team from the same place!  Toronto offer a lot more even than that IMO, so it is a no brainer for me that we are better off if those teams appear in the final.

Fair play to them for owning their ground - it is a massive plus as you say, and something the sport badly lacks (bricks/mortar infrastructure).  The club clearly has some things in its favour, and some strong negatives - much like any other.   On balance, would Super League be better or worse off with them in it?    For me, it is a No.

What do you actually want then, a closed shop League with entry by invitation only? That's what it sounds like. So no promotion and relegation, so no hope for traditional heartland Clubs. Just remember what happened to PSG, Celtic Crusaders and, as well as they did this season, London, still failing to grow their crowds and playing at a sub standard ground. Teams who qualify by their achievements on the field should be allowed to take their place in the League, no matter where they are based.

Just now, Celt said:

I actually posted on here (this thread or last weeks TWP match thread?) that TWP are only 1 benefactor's mood-swing move away from a Celtic Crusaders style meltdown.  So, i am fully aware of that.

I have not said anything about teams who qualify not being allowed to participate in the League.  You are correct - they should be (Assuming theymeet the criteria of course).  I simply hope the expansion teams beat them to it.  For me, that would be far better for the sport.  Plenty other RL fans feel exactly the same.

If they beat us on the field, that is fine by me. We would all like to know what this mysterious criteria is though, because I don't know anybody who knows what it is, and that includes fans of SL Clubs.

52 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

If they beat us on the field, that is fine by me. We would all like to know what this mysterious criteria is though, because I don't know anybody who knows what it is, and that includes fans of SL Clubs.

Well it must be ground criteria because every time it's mentioned Cas un Wakey get there plans out - never hear anything otherwise - fact! 

Hope Toulouse win infront of a big crowd. The game would benefit far more in my opinion with Toulouse/Toronto in SL over any of the English Championship Clubs. Fev have a nice Ground and they boast a fine past and the area has produced many quality players over the  years. But we are in 2019 and need to look to the future.

Both Toronto and Toulouse offer the potential to grow the game and the Super League Brand to a new audience. They are both big cities that are home to some big international Businesses. IF the Clubs get it right then we could see both Clubs easily average 10K or more crowds in SL. The Toulouse/Southern France area has also produced some quality players and will continue to do so, much like the Featherstone/Pontefract area. Hopefully in time the Toronto area will do so as well. I just feel the game will benefit far more if Toronto and Toulouse are in SL than the likes of Featherstone, Leigh, Widnes, Halifax etc.

The two best teams should be in the final..and that's the way it will be...If Fev get by Toulouse then it will be as a result of hard work, if TOXIII win then the top two in the championship will be facing each other and that's the way it should be. Either way I will be at Lamport next saturday cheering like billio...Wolfpack all the way!

Archived