Sun 29 Sept: Championship Preliminary Final: Toulouse Olympique v Featherstone Rovers KO 6.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse Olympique
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/09/19 at 17:30

3 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

You been to Lamport?  It's actually not a bad stadium, with real amenities built in (the beer garden is an extra for match days.

Having been to both I think Lamport is nicer

Are the portaloos real amenities, built in? 

I couldn't help but notice the missus wasn't happy with the plumbing at Post Office Road. 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Are the portaloos real amenities, built in? 

I couldn't help but notice the missus wasn't happy with the plumbing at Post Office Road. 

Lamport has real bathrooms built into the stadium

Just now, Smudger06 said:

The 'nice' thing about Post Office Road is that every blade of grass is owned by the Club as opposed to every square inch of plastic pitch been rented off the council at a place such as Lamport. It'll be a 'nice' day when Toronto own a real asset such as a Club house or training facilities. 

A lot of other sports look like they are  played at Lamport with all the markings, anybody noticed if they play Hopscotch there?

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

The 'nice' thing about Post Office Road is that every blade of grass is owned by the Club as opposed to every square inch of plastic pitch been rented off the council at a place such as Lamport. It'll be a 'nice' day when Toronto own a real asset such as a Club house or training facilities. 

Or Canadian players. 

3 hours ago, gingdong said:

its crazy people like you why the game is dieing cant see the woods for the trees, destroy it where its strong for where its weak. Do you not realise there are no amateur teams in the Selby district, Knottingley, pontefract, Airedale the grass roots are beyond terminal, A rovers in SL would do plenty for the grass roots locally, but no lets put all our efforts into France and Canada, you really couldnt make it up

Nonsense. Cas and Wakey have been in SL for years and what has that done for grassroots in those areas? 

Moreover have a listen to what Newcastle Thunder are doing in League 1 locally - they have a 14 team local league and are increasing their development officers from 1.5 to 4 for next year. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

60's hippy's and flower power? Probably why Simms, Mullally, Dixon and Kay all have ponytails, and it would not be for me to even suggest what is under a ponytail.

A horse's bum? 

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

18 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Hope Toulouse win infront of a big crowd. The game would benefit far more in my opinion with Toulouse/Toronto in SL over any of the English Championship Clubs. Fev have a nice Ground and they boast a fine past and the area has produced many quality players over the  years. But we are in 2019 and need to look to the future.

Both Toronto and Toulouse offer the potential to grow the game and the Super League Brand to a new audience. They are both big cities that are home to some big international Businesses. IF the Clubs get it right then we could see both Clubs easily average 10K or more crowds in SL. The Toulouse/Southern France area has also produced some quality players and will continue to do so, much like the Featherstone/Pontefract area. Hopefully in time the Toronto area will do so as well. I just feel the game will benefit far more if Toronto and Toulouse are in SL than the likes of Featherstone, Leigh, Widnes, Halifax etc.

That worked out well for PSG and London Broncos. 

Nothing highlights the tinpot status of our sport more than these discussions. At the end of the day, the only team who deserves a spot is SL is the team who won the Grand Final. 

5 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

It's not a unique name. There are more "Rovers Return" pubs than the one in Wetherfield. 

With gold lettering on a green back ground?  They even wrapped the trailer in brick wrap.  It's a clear attempt at the Corrie branding

Just now, Celt said:

not exactly.

There has to be at least some criteria. London Broncos should have been told to GTF when they announced they would play their home games on what appears to be a fenced off union field, out the back of some leisure centre.

As said before, what is this mysterious criteria?

5 hours ago, gingdong said:

its crazy people like you why the game is dieing cant see the woods for the trees, destroy it where its strong for where its weak. Do you not realise there are no amateur teams in the Selby district, Knottingley, pontefract, Airedale the grass roots are beyond terminal, A rovers in SL would do plenty for the grass roots locally, but no lets put all our efforts into France and Canada, you really couldnt make it up

Tyneside, Wales, The Midlands have no amateur teams do they, as there has not been a SL team there. Siddal are stronger (More numbers and more kids involved) now than probably when Halifax was in SL. You need to wake up and see that whether Fev are in SL or not will have little to do with how good the local amateur scene is. There are far more biigger reasons than that as to why the amateur scene in the Pontefract & Selby area is not as strong as it was.

Maybe Fev should look to the work of Newcastle Thunder for example, as a way to improve things in the local area. And the game needs to grow outside the UK & Australia or else it will slowly die. International Sport attracts money more than a few unknown small towns in Northern England playing in empty decaying stadiums. Yes the game needs to do more to help the amateur scene in the Heartlands, but it also needs to grow the game outside them areas.

That worked out well for PSG and London Broncos. 

Both have had poor business models and when you look at how they have been run then its no real surprise with the results. Catalans though is a different story and Toronto & Toulouse can emulate that success.

Nothing highlights the tinpot status of our sport more than these discussions. At the end of the day, the only team who deserves a spot is SL is the team who won the Grand Final. 

Agree to a certain extent. Rugby League is a tin pot sport outside NSW & Queensland. Even in the UK, the big Rugby League Clubs are nothing and struggle to get much mention outside their area. The game is struggling outside the NRL to survive both at Pro and amateur level.

I am not a fan of a playoff Final to decide who goes up to SL. But thats the rules. Toronto have dominated the regular season and finished top and for me deserve an automatic promotion to SL. They could have a day off and get beat like last year and the great Season up to now, counts for nothing.

On 28/09/2019 at 15:27, paulwalker71 said:

I just wish Featherstone could somehow magically be moved on the map to an area with less concentration of other clubs - but obviously that can't happen.

I have heard people say that a winter's night in fev is like being on the dark side of the moon....possible destination ?

14 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Pulling for Featherstone if only because Toulouse are far more dangerous side and I want TWP to have the best chance in the MPG.

With a comment like that, I hope you are not one of those weed heads mentioned in this thread. 

You ought to be praying for a tool house miracle win because if Fev are your next opponents don't even bother turning up and prepare for another year in the championship.

Archived