Fri 27 Sept: SL Semi Final: St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/09/19 at 18:45

It feels quite a long time since that day in January when we opened the season with a convincing win over Wigan. The season’s dragged somewhat, I feel. Saints have been safely in the play-off’s and top two for what feels like forever and we’ve just been building up to this game for months now. 

Our record in semi-finals is abysmal and in true Wigan style, they’ve looked as though they’re peaking at the right time of the year despite being nowhere near the best side in the competition, so there’s an element of doubt there. We’re the better side, we’ve had a better year but all that goes out of the window on Friday.

I’m less nervous than previous semi-Finals we’ve played in, probably because it’s not as black and white as the top four system previously used. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

You must eat pies now and then. Even if you are coeliac they do GF pies these days. 

Oh, and I think we are called for reasons unconnected with our pie consumption. 

Really? All my life I’ve thought it was because Wiganers eat pies for breakfast, dinner and tea (which is a fact), so if it’s not that then why?

11 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Nope. I stopped eating them when my cholesterol levels went above the required limit, and I have never gone back.

Can't say I miss them really.

My cholesterol was 7.9 at one point (genetic, I’m not particularly overweight) but I still enjoy the odd one. Good on you for giving up though ?

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Really? All my life I’ve thought it was because Wiganers eat pies for breakfast, dinner and tea (which is a fact), so if it’s not that then why?

I was brought up on a story that in the 30s (?) our miners broke a strike early and ended up being offered less money, and so wiganers had to eat humble pie. 

13 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I was brought up on a story that in the 30s (?) our miners broke a strike early and ended up being offered less money, and so wiganers had to eat humble pie. 

That's very generous to the Wiganers. In St Helens the story is that the Wigan miners went back to work early, breaking the strike, and so while all the other miners were still scraping by on scouse and leftovers, the Wiganers were feasting on pies.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 18:45, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Ah, a semi-final. That time of year again when Saints players go from being comfortably the best in the country to looking like they’ve never played a game of Rugby League before. Dreading it. 

You've summed up the situation beautifully there!

I'm dreading it too.  I'm going, because I'm a glutton for punishment, but I will be watching through my fingers the whole night.  Unless we get blown away in which case I'll listen to my music and imagine I'm somewhere warm and sunny!

20 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

You've summed up the situation beautifully there!

I'm dreading it too.  I'm going, because I'm a glutton for punishment, but I will be watching through my fingers the whole night.  Unless we get blown away in which case I'll listen to my music and imagine I'm somewhere warm and sunny!

Not much SL gets played in Hull this time of the year.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

21 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Not much SL gets played in Hull this time of the year.

Mafting again here today.

Salford looked like a different climate zone.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

well both teams if they lose get another game.... against a team that whilst they played well last time out were beaten in their other play-off game, but had another bite of the cherry....

sorry just can't get too excited... as its not like I expect a semi to be... losers goes out whilst winner goes through... in this case winner awaiting to see if they play the losing team again... although if Wigan win they will be playing a team they have already beaten in the play-offs whether its saints or salford...

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

well both teams if they lose get another game.... against a team that whilst they played well last time out were beaten in their other play-off game, but had another bite of the cherry....

sorry just can't get too excited... as its not like I expect a semi to be... losers goes out whilst winner goes through... in this case winner awaiting to see if they play the losing team again... although if Wigan win they will be playing a team they have already beaten in the play-offs whether its saints or salford...

Agreed, the possibility (indeed probability) of two repeat fixtures in just six games is dull to say the least.  

I hope they beat each other up, have minor injuries to keep them out for the odd game or 2. The odd ban for 2 games would also be good....

I think it will be about the start. If Saints score early they will probably get a roll on and win, if Wigan frustrate them it will be a Wigan win as saints lose the plot.

On reflection, I've changed my mind about how exciting this game is.

It's simply a contest to decide which team gets beat by Salford next weekend and which team gets beat by them in a fortnight.

My word, the weather has changed over here in Hull. 

Very dark, low clouds and it's pouring down.

We could almost be in Lancashire.

31 minutes ago, costa said:

I fancy Wigan. 

I'd get help with that.

The referees have their own mascot, complete with microphone and everything. Brilliant!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived