Fri 27 Sept: SL Semi Final: St Helens v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/09/19 at 18:45

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Aaaaw, diddums, does it burn getting embarrassed like that?

But SoL, has he had a great game though, just so we can feel secure in the knowledge he's the countries captain going forward ...

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Wigan demolished from the opening minute onwards really by Saints

Be fair - there were those seconds after kickoff when the ball was still in the air and we were absolutely level with them then.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

So lam,s  master stroke is in play . Nobody wants to meet Salford in the final. They will take their chances in the semi and blow away Saints in the final . Watch , listen and learn , this is a master technician at work!

"Eh Up, potty mouth. I know life hasn't been kind to you, but there's no need to parade your resentful jealousy on here." JohnM 16th April 2020

2nd night in a row for a one sided mismatch.  I hope Toulouse and Fev can give us neutrals some entertainment.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

2nd night in a row for a one sided mismatch.  I hope Toulouse and Fev can give us neutrals some entertainment.

I'd rather be watching as a neutral than as a supporter of the losing side. ?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Teams blowing their opponents away in the qualifying semi have an absolutely terrible record in the Grand Final (see 1999 and 2008 plus 2004 to a degree; 2000 was the exception).

I strongly fancy Salford or Wigan in the final.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

Teams blowing their opponents away in the qualifying semi have an absolutely terrible record in the Grand Final (see 1999 and 2008 plus 2004 to a degree; 2000 was the exception).

I honestly can’t see us beating Salford next week. So it could be a good omen for Salford in the final. 

On another note, I would love to see the metre making stats of our props compared to Saints. We can’t have had a prop make more than 50 metres today.

How would I describe what I just experienced? Impressive but painful, a bit like being buggered by Godzilla. Saints have banished any rumours of post-hubcap complacency, while we face a Salford side that had a damned good go at knocking us out last week. This is going to be tough.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I didn't think it was that one sided, it came down to inches.  Sure Cas folded at the end, but the rest of the game was a real arm wrestle.   The tackle on Rankn saved a certain try, by inches and Salford's second was a judgement of inches. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Superb from the second the ball was kicked at kick-off this evening. That’s the Saints of all season in a Semi-Final, something we’ve struggled to replicate for all of Holbrook’s rein till this evening.

Dominated in the pack, which is my worry for big games for us. In many a big game now, we’ve been on the back foot in the pack and lost it there. 

A special mention for how poor Wigan were. It beggars belief that George Williams has blagged himself a deal in the NRL. What’s the shortest time a Wigan player of recent years has been in the NRL? Because this lad will be back in Super League by 2021. It stinks that he was even in the consideration for Man of Steel with Jonny Lomax out there. 

Saints at the big dance again and we’ll be heavy favourites regardless of who we play. The nerves now for the next two weeks will be unbearable. 

McManus has just referenced the 2008 semi when they destroyed Leeds but lost the final to us two weeks later.

In those four previous SL qualifying semi blow-outs ('99, '00, '04 and '08) the average score in the semi was 40-11 in favour of the winning semi team.

In each case the final was between the same two teams and the average score was 15-16.

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Aaaaw, diddums, does it burn getting embarrassed like that?

But SoL, has he had a great game though, just so we can feel secure in the knowledge he's the countries captain going forward ...

Listen,  Coco. Saints clearly deserved to win. By far the better team on the night and througout the season. No doubt about it. 

However, Wigan at their worst are streets ahead of the rabble you claim to support: always were, always will be. 

17 minutes ago, M j M said:

We can live in hope.  I thought Wigan were remarkably bad.  They were more interested in the Eastenders credits than the game.  

I will be amazed if we keep Luke Thompson, though. He’s simply unplayable. I can’t imagine there are too many, in current form, out there that are better than him. 

A part of me is intrigued to see how he’d do in the NRL, as I think he could replicate or possibly better James Graham’s career over there, but the selfish Saints fan in me wants to see him retire at Saints having led us to trophies, having grown up as a kid pretending to live at his Nan’s house to keep himself out of the Wigan catchment area. 

Great performance from Saints, tactically early on Wigan were naive, they seemed to expect a typical play-off slug-o-thon and didn't adapt to Saints fast defensive challenge and speeding attack. There was no cautious lets suss them out tactics from Saints, it was what they have done all season and go for the throat in the first twenty.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I will be amazed if we keep Luke Thompson, though. He’s simply unplayable. I can’t imagine there are too many, in current form, out there that are better than him. 

A part of me is intrigued to see how he’d do in the NRL, as I think he could replicate or possibly better James Graham’s career over there, but the selfish Saints fan in me wants to see him retire at Saints having led us to trophies, having grown up as a kid pretending to live at his Nan’s house to keep himself out of the Wigan catchment area. 

Money talks and good luck to him.  Hastings will probably be go back to the NRL after one year as well.

Thompson is a great player very much in the mould of Graham and very much looked well in place against NZ last season.

Tonight Wigan players tossed a coin everytime they made a decision.

1 hour ago, 7723 said:

Rest Powell, Williams, Hardaker and Leuluia, no need to play them this second half as we just aren’t good enough. That said, I can’t see us winning next week either.

It struck me that Powell was barely fit.  In the end the 2nd half score was respectable given that we were still well built.

51 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I thought watching Saints in that kind of form was pretty entertaining.

12 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Money talks and good luck to him.  Hastings will probably be go back to the NRL after one year as well.

Thompson is a great player very much in the mould of Graham and very much looked well in place against NZ last season.

Tonight Wigan players tossed a coin everytime they made a decision.

His family own a haulage firm and are well-off but that’s not strictly his money and money does talk, as does a challenge of taking on the best. 

We were irrepressible tonight. Last year, the cup semi final defeat to Catalans clearly weighed heavily on our mind. On tonight's evidence, our cup final defeat has spurred us on. We played with a determination that I have not seen from Saints for a long time.

As has been pointed out, tonight counts for nothing in 2 weeks. If we play Wigan, our 3 other wins against them in 2019 count for nothing. We know that from big game defeats to Warrington recently. 

We deserve a title. The coach deserves a title. But you don't always get what you deserve. Saying that, play at or close to our best and we will win.

If we don't, it will hurt. But in time, I would reflect on the Holbrook era as one where he brought joy back to watching Saints. And I'll always remember him and be grateful for that.

Finally, how good was Luke Thompson? Unstoppable tonight. The other 16 weren't bad either!

35 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Listen,  Coco. Saints clearly deserved to win. By far the better team on the night and througout the season. No doubt about it. 

However, Wigan at their worst are streets ahead of the rabble you claim to support: always were, always will be. 

Hahaha, can't hack a bit of banter, typical goon fan, always up your own. At least my club never cheated to avoid relegation, at my club as ramshackle and a bag o poop doesn't employ dirty shitehouse players and grubby tactics week in week out.

yes you've a great amount of talent, your system is prodigious, your trophy cabinet has silverware, but toight you got absolutely drummed and pathetically you start throwing your dummy out cos a fan of another club said some hurtful things.

get a grip sonshine, you're losing it.

Archived