Thats how many people have watched Championship games on Sky Sports in the UK so far this year. Nearly all of these games have been Toronto Wolfpack fixtures.

This will obviously add significant value to the Sky tv deal, especially when Toronto pay the costs of broadcasting their home games. 

Note to Robert Elstone, this is what Toronto Wolfpack bring to the table. Let them into Super League as a full partner and stop killing the expansion of the game.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Where did you get the stats from SKS?

What games are these for? How many TWP games were covered in the end? Was it about 20 games? Plus the 6 Summer Bash games. 

About 50k per game? Seems about right I'd have thought?

Stats are from this totalrl article 

https://www.totalrl.com/rimmer-hails-progress-outside-super-league/

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Are 1,300,000 watching purely because it’s Toronto? I’d argue no. Some will be bored RL fans with little to watch on a Sunday night, some will be opposition fans, some will be fans of other Championship clubs. 

The TV slot of a Sunday evening is the winner here, rather than any particular side. 

Or the particular side has won Rugby League the Sunday evening TV slot?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

36 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What were the Championship viewing figures in 2018?

What do you think they will be in 2020 when Toronto are in Super League?

Of course this number is because of Toronto 

Of course the number is 1.3m because TWP paid for the coverage, but at an average of around 50k that isnt showing them as a particularly strong draw. Other Championship teams have delivered that level before.

But the cumulative number is because TWP paid for 20 or so of their games to be broadcast.

If York did the same we would see similar figures though.

48 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Or the particular side has won Rugby League the Sunday evening TV slot?

Genuine question, how many of their games were the Sunday evening slot?

TBH I actually think that the TWP figures were probably lower in the Champ than some other teams would get simply because of the procession element that many of their games were. I know I didnt watch a fair few of them for that reason.

Lot's of positives here, firstly it shows that there is an audience for both Championship games and as well for foreign teams, especially as not all Wolfpack games were televised this year, there were plenty as well pushed to the 'red button' or going head to head with other more significant fixtures.  I believe a few kick off times were pushed around as well.

Despite all this, the Championship will most likely finish with over 1.5m cumulative views for the season.  

Off the back of this, if I was Rob Elstone, my main requirement for Toronto getting into SL is that they continue to commit to pay for broadcasts.  That extra piece of regular content, plus an extra 1m+ viewers to the total SL cumulative not only makes RL more valuable to Sky, but also to sponsors.  

It's valuable to Sky simply because they are getting more live and exclusive content for next to nothing, plus it also helps them get more value out of their existing RL talent (their commentary team is paid a wage, wheeling them out for 4 games versus 3 won't cost them more) and as for sponsors, more eyeballs, more slots, more RL simply equates to better ROI.

On the flip side, if I was the RFL, I would be trying to work out a deal to get regular Championship games on Sky for 2020 (assuming Toronto go up).  Clearly Sky isn't prepared to pay outright for it, but there must be a happy medium where potentially the broadcast costs could be shared between Sky, the RFL/clubs and maybe a Betfred of the world. 

For the Championship to get its own Broadcast deal from 2021, it needs to show there is an audience, and the best way to show that is to get it onto TV or a regular streaming service (not OurLeague).

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

13 minutes ago, Yakstorm said:

Off the back of this, if I was Rob Elstone, my main requirement for Toronto getting into SL is that they continue to commit to pay for broadcasts.  That extra piece of regular content, plus an extra 1m+ viewers to the total SL cumulative not only makes RL more valuable to Sky, but also to sponsors.  

Wouldn't this just lead to uproar, claims of taking TWP for a ride and threats of legal action and takeovers?

As for the Championship, not having a NA team in the comp will hurt the ratings next year...this is the fatal flaw of not letting Ottawa in next year and NY the following year....it would have added a dynamic and kept the momentum going....I mentioned it on the forum but was attacked by Naysayers.

No vision whatsoever.  Not acceptable...people need to lose their jobs over such a gross negligence of the obvious.

An opportunity for Championship (next year)  has been missed.

8 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

As for the Championship, not having a NA team in the comp will hurt the ratings next year...this is the fatal flaw of not letting Ottawa in next year and NY the following year....it would have added a dynamic and kept the momentum going....I mentioned it on the forum but was attacked by Naysayers.

No vision whatsoever.  Not acceptable...people need to lose their jobs over such a gross negligence of the obvious.

Assuming your team are promoted of course!

18 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Just to clarify it was Ottawa themselves who didn't want to be in next year because they weren't ready.

The profile of the Championship has risen massively this season, possibly to its highest ever, and two big factors have been TWP’s involvement and the televised games. Regarding the latter so what if it would have been the same if York or Barrow had paid for the games to be televised, the fact is they didn’t. 

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Just to clarify it was Ottawa themselves who didn't want to be in next year because they weren't ready.

There is the official line and then there is what actually occurred.  Ahh.... the intricate world of rugby politics.

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

There is the official line and then there is what actually occurred.  Ahh.... the intricate world of rugby politics.

That is what occurred. Of course it could be said that the RFL gave them no time by only giving their final decision in May and that Ottawa were left with little option.

Just now, Damien said:

That is what occurred. Of course it could be said that the RFL gave them no time by only giving their final decision in May and that Ottawa were left with little option.

Even though they were on record as ready at that time..then it began; all the with Elstone and Rimmer and wanting money up front and wanting payments and wanting more money and then more payments and then wanting ______________ and then wanting ___________and then wanting______________ etc. etc.

Just fill in the blanks to suit yourself and then guess what:  Times up!   The oldest trick in the book.

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The profile of the Championship has risen massively this season, possibly to its highest ever, and two big factors have been TWP’s involvement and the televised games. Regarding the latter so what if it would have been the same if York or Barrow had paid for the games to be televised, the fact is they didn’t. 

And no other Championship club will so Sky will show sod all next year. Fans always looking having a go at Toronto will then probably blame them for leaving the Championship ? 

Archived