Thur 26 Sept: SL Semi Final: Salford Red Devils v Castleford Tigers KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Castleford Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/09/19 at 18:45

8 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Quite simple really.  He’s the best we currently have in that position. 

Thanks for that.

To keep Cas scoreless with 12 men was quite impressive.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

And tonight I have seen for me the tackle of the season.

I guess you mean Niall Evalds running down Jordan Rankin and chucking him into touch?

He wouldn't have needed to pull that off had Kris Welham made a half decent effort on Rankin 60m back up field.

About the only time a Cas player broke a tackle all night.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Just now, Old Frightful said:

I guess you mean Niall Evalds running down Jordan Rankin and chucking him into touch?

He wouldn't have needed to pull that off had Kris Welham made a half decent effort on Rankin 60m back up field.

About the only time a Cas player broke a tackle all night.

Yes, a brilliant tackle, especially how he rolled him in to touch as well.

22 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Well done to Salford, and good luck next week. And tonight I have seen for me the tackle of the season.

Better than Gildarts last week...?

Rankin is an honest player, good on him,  but he was going backwards after 30-40yards. 

2 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Well if we're the 4th best team in the league then God help superleague

When you stop sulking you might appreciate what an achievement that was in the face of considerable adversity.

Your team weren't good enough but they sweated blood to stay in it. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

33 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Thanks for that.

To keep Cas scoreless with 12 men was quite impressive.

It was..i really thought it was Cas's year ?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

So much for my prediction for it being close! Great result tho...this is how rugby league should be played! Roll on next Fri...will give whoever they are playing a game.

6 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

And tonight I have seen for me the tackle of the season.

There were two of them.

I am only fed up with coaches not wanting to say we were outplayed.

This season is already a huge success for SRD.

I s'pose it must be Warriors v Saints GF but isn't this good for TGG? A sporting fairy story which are like hens teeth in RL's hard world.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

All things considered, cas have achieved above my expectations without their star half back for the last 2 years,a point alot on here seem to forget.

Take away the main threat from any team and lets see how they will falter.

Gale alone though (if we do keep him) would not of meant a visit to OT.

Millington, Moors,Shenton have all had their day and still contracted.

Mix in a few sub-standard sqad signings ( cas fans no who they are) and money tied up with them and your asking for mediocre.

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Better than Gildarts last week...?

Rankin is an honest player, good on him,  but he was going backwards after 30-40yards. 

It was always on the cards that Rankin would be caught and he really should have straightened up and taken the tackle. He virtually ran himself into touch.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Kris Welham has played well this season, he has scored some great tries and made some telling contributions in defence. I am glad he has signed for another year.

Salford have little money, the team is partly a team of misfits or those on the last chance with a few academy products such as Bibby, Woods and Evalds. 

Watson and Blease have created a family club, players like Hastings go for tea twice a week with the Blease family.

I wish the Doc had stayed involved but left the running of the club to these 2.

Whatever happens next week this season has been some ride.

Welham has been excellent 2nd half of the season and shouldn’t be crucified for the last two games where he hasn’t been great. He’ll need to tighten up next week.

Cracking defensive performance again. You can’t expect scintillating attacking rugby in those conditions but I thought Salford’s 5th tackle options were poor compared to last week. Hopefully better weather next week and we can open up in attack a bit. Can’t expect the defence to do all the work again.

Ive no issue with what Powell said - i’d have been unhappy with that try if it was the other way around although on viewing at home it did look more of a try than I thought at the time.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Anyone know what the gate was? I didn’t see it announced and it’s not on Wikipedia yet but it looked a lot bigger and sounded louder than Salford’s usual crowd. 

Not seen anything announced but it felt comparable to the KR home game crowd of 5,500. I’d say it was more but we’ll see.

9 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Question for Salford fans, if Ian Watson is such a good coach, how does Kris Welham get in the team each week?

Surely it proves how good a coach he is, in that he has taken a player with obvious defensive deficiencies and managed them within their structures to the point where they are winning play off matches without conceding.

43 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Welham has been excellent 2nd half of the season and shouldn’t be crucified for the last two games where he hasn’t been great. He’ll need to tighten up next week.

Cracking defensive performance again. You can’t expect scintillating attacking rugby in those conditions but I thought Salford’s 5th tackle options were poor compared to last week. Hopefully better weather next week and we can open up in attack a bit. Can’t expect the defence to do all the work again.

Ive no issue with what Powell said - i’d have been unhappy with that try if it was the other way around although on viewing at home it did look more of a try than I thought at the time.

I think Salford were good, but not much better. There looks to be plenty of improvement in them and that should be exciting for next week as they will need to be at their best at Wigan or Saints. 

Exciting times for their fans though.

10 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I agree.  But Cas were very very ordinary.  

C'mon Rupert, you must be old enough to remember the phrase in rugby league that "a team is only as good as the opposition allows them to be" it is not often I agree with Tez and Baz but in my opinion they were spot on last night when on more than one occasion they said "Cas have nowhere to go" Salford closed down nearly all of their options, Salfords kick chase was nothing but perfect, the sliding defence accomplished, the deployment of a man round the back to stop the offload was exemplary, I can't recall any Salford player in the tackle zone relying on a teammate to bring an opposition player to ground,  there was so much more to their defensive stratergy and deployment I could go on.

Anyone would think you have never been involved in a coaching capacity Rupert if that is your best contribution to the proceedings last evening!

10 hours ago, Red Willow said:

wow some game. Really had no idea how that game would pan out. Glad Salford got the early points.

Watson has to be coach of the year, every player has improved or resurrected their game under him.

Jackson Hastings has been a joy on and off the pitch.

That tackle ?

Don't underestimate the contribution Paul Rowley has made to the coaching set up at Salford, since he arrived they have adjusted their offence sufficiently to make a marked difference, indeed their only loss in the it is 9 or 10 games since he arrived has been to Wigan last week, if they are to play Wigan again, can Salford learn from that last performance? I think so.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

C'mon Rupert, you must be old enough to remember the phrase in rugby league that "a team is only as good as the opposition allows them to be" it is not often I agree with Tez and Baz but in my opinion they were spot on last night when on more than one occasion they said "Cas have nowhere to go" Salford closed down nearly all of their options, Salfords kick chase was nothing but perfect, the sliding defence accomplished, the deployment of a man round the back to stop the offload was exemplary, I can't recall any Salford player in the tackle zone relying on a teammate to bring an opposition player to ground,  there was so much more to their defensive stratergy and deployment I could go on.

Anyone would think you have never been involved in a coaching capacity Rupert if that is your best contribution to the proceedings last evening!

True Harry , but Cas were very very ordinary as well , as I believe Powell acknowledged . They just looked totally devoid of any attacking nous , direction or threat . Salford closed them down really well but they hardly fired any bullets 

Archived