Team for next season

Wakefield Ram

New signing!!!

Guess what !! ...... another prop!!     .... from C1!!

Connor Scott!!   ...... probably another squad player!!  Plenty of competition in the forwards!

We need a couple of backs please!  ... a championship proven winger, another centre and  half back cover! 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

New signing!!!

Connor Scott!!   ...... probably another squad player!!  Plenty of competition in the forwards!

We need a couple of backs please!  ... a championship proven winger, another centre and  half back cover! 

Don’t need wingers when your walloping it up the middle!

rambo.gif

5 hours ago, Rambo said:

Don’t need wingers when your walloping it up the middle!

That’s my worry.  I can’t be the only one getting a little concerned about the number of props ?  The only consolation is that it’s a change from second rowers. 

11 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

New signing!!!

11 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

New signing!!!

LG wants to add some size to the front row apparently. So why sign small ones in the first place? We are having a small squad and half of them are props - great. He did the same last year with back rowers, and still ended up playing loanees in those positions, and I can foresee the same happening with the props. How is this helping the creation of a close knit, happy dressing room. Waste of valuable resources IMO.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

5 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

LG wants to add some size to the front row apparently. So why sign small ones in the first place? We are having a small squad and half of them are props - great. He did the same last year with back rowers, and still ended up playing loanees in those positions, and I can foresee the same happening with the props. How is this helping the creation of a close knit, happy dressing room. Waste of valuable resources IMO.

We need a minumum of five props - four per game and at least another to cover for injuries or suspensions. Do we have more than five signed on?

It is the easiest thing in the world to identify where a squad is short (see every other club's forums) but not so easy to identify players to fit those gaps who fit into our "player profile" for next year. I am certain that LG and his team aren't exactly twidlling their thumbs to see what or who comes along.

Your extrapolation to include loanees, their potential impact and your reaction to that has no current basis in fact. I think you need another cruise to cheer yourself up.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

We need a minumum of five props - four per game and at least another to cover for injuries or suspensions. Do we have more than five signed on?

It is the easiest thing in the world to identify where a squad is short (see every other club's forums) but not so easy to identify players to fit those gaps who fit into our "player profile" for next year. I am certain that LG and his team aren't exactly twidlling their thumbs to see what or who comes along.

Your extrapolation to include loanees, their potential impact and your reaction to that has no current basis in fact. I think you need another cruise to cheer yourself up.

8 Tom Garratt

9. Dom Speakman

10 Martyn Reilly

11 Chris Annakin

12 Michael Knowles

13 Sonny Esslemont

14 Sam Day

15 Jon Magrin

16 Luke Nelmes

17 Fraser Morris

18 Sam Moorhouse

19 James Thornton

20 Connor Scott

I make that 9 props (If LG intends using Anakin there, as he has already stated). Extrapolation re loanees - well yes, but based on last years events, where half our contracted players disappeared before a meaningful match had been played, and in came the loans. Thing is, we don't need more than five or six props, because they tend not to get injured (some do but not often). The front row are interchanged more often than any other group so get to rest more (specially when the wingers are doing their job of carrying the ball up). Don't think I mentioned anything about where we were short, or how to address the problem, but I do know that if you throw all your brass at speculative punts who "look promising" you won't have anything left to sign the tried and trusted. I am absolutely unimpressed by the likely direction our game plan for next year is taking, which presumably is one man, up the middle rugby. Maybe that's why MS has taken in the Bulls, at least he'll get the chance to see expansive football every other fortnight. :kolobok_resent:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

5 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

8 Tom Garratt

9. Dom Speakman

10 Martyn Reilly

11 Chris Annakin

12 Michael Knowles

13 Sonny Esslemont

14 Sam Day

15 Jon Magrin

16 Luke Nelmes

17 Fraser Morris

18 Sam Moorhouse

19 James Thornton

20 Connor Scott

I make that 9 props (If LG intends using Anakin there, as he has already stated). Extrapolation re loanees - well yes, but based on last years events, where half our contracted players disappeared before a meaningful match had been played, and in came the loans. Thing is, we don't need more than five or six props, because they tend not to get injured (some do but not often). The front row are interchanged more often than any other group so get to rest more (specially when the wingers are doing their job of carrying the ball up). Don't think I mentioned anything about where we were short, or how to address the problem, but I do know that if you throw all your brass at speculative punts who "look promising" you won't have anything left to sign the tried and trusted. I am absolutely unimpressed by the likely direction our game plan for next year is taking, which presumably is one man, up the middle rugby. Maybe that's why MS has taken in the Bulls, at least he'll get the chance to see expansive football every other fortnight. :kolobok_resent:

I’ve looked and I can’t see 9 props.

Tom Garratt.

Luke Nelmes.

Fraser Morris .

Sam Moorhouse.

Connor Scott.

All out and out props,and as Lee as already stated Chris Annakin will be propping that’s 6. Others can play 2nd row or loose forward,but I must admit we seem to be top heavy in the forwards.

33 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

I’ve looked and I can’t see 9 props.

Tom Garratt.

Luke Nelmes.

Fraser Morris .

Sam Moorhouse.

Connor Scott.

All out and out props,and as Lee as already stated Chris Annakin will be propping that’s 6. Others can play 2nd row or loose forward,but I must admit we seem to be top heavy in the forwards.

I must be confused, I thought Magrin, Thornton and Reilly were props who could play elsewhere at a pinch. Could there be more to come ?

George Bernard Shaw.

So i think this is it to date!!

1 Joe Martin

2 Andy Gabriel

3 Jason Walton

4 Adam Ryder

5 Davy Dixon

6 Paul Sykes

7 Liam Finn

8 Tom Garratt

9. Dom Speakman

10 Martyn Reilly

11 Chris Annakin

12 Michael Knowles

13 Sonny Esslemont

14 Sam Day

15 Joe Magrin

16 Luke Nelmes

17 Fraser Morris

18 Sam Moorhouse

19 James Thornton

20 Liam Johnson

21 Connor Scott

2 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

So i think this is it to date!!

1 Joe Martin

2 Andy Gabriel

3 Jason Walton

4 Adam Ryder

5 Davy Dixon

6 Paul Sykes

7 Liam Finn

8 Tom Garratt

9. Dom Speakman

10 Martyn Reilly

11 Chris Annakin

12 Michael Knowles

13 Sonny Esslemont

14 Sam Day

15 Joe Magrin

16 Luke Nelmes

17 Fraser Morris

18 Sam Moorhouse

19 James Thornton

20 Liam Johnson

21 Connor Scott

Only a couple more to come then, at most.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Mark did say there was plenty left in the pot if Lee found what he wanted! .... What do you think we need to complete the squad? .... I would be looking at backs as we have no cover other than what we might get from HKR on DR

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

They'll need to be bloody versatile if they have six positions to cover.

George Bernard Shaw.

On 31/10/2019 at 17:35, the old nine ole said:

Mark did say there was plenty left in the pot if Lee found what he wanted! .... What do you think we need to complete the squad? .... I would be looking at backs as we have no cover other than what we might get from HKR on DR

I agree. I also believe that they are looking very closely at who is available that we could afford and fits the profile of the type of players that we are trying to recruit. I don't know who these might be.

I know that quite a few people on here are very critical of our recruitment so far. Which other Championship club has impressed you with their recruitment, as distinct from retentions?

22 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I agree. I also believe that they are looking very closely at who is available that we could afford and fits the profile of the type of players that we are trying to recruit. I don't know who these might be.

I know that quite a few people on here are very critical of our recruitment so far. Which other Championship club has impressed you with their recruitment, as distinct from retentions?

A few comments baffle me both on here and our Facebook page,calling some of our signings second rate before they’ve even seen them play. 

14 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I may be seen as one of that group. I neither know nor care what other clubs are doing with their recruitment, but it seems to me that we are (for the second year running), signing players in positions already well catered for. Out of the nineteen players signed, only seven are backs. I’d also consider that two of those are every bit as much out and out centres as Kevin Sinfield was an out and out Stand off, but I’ll let that pass. I worry that as things stand we have no backs cover whatsoever. I wouldn't want us to depend on the lottery that is DR to solve that problem. It seems that PM’s prediction that we will be “prop ing “ up the division is already a reality.

George Bernard Shaw.

14 hours ago, graham fisher said:

A few comments baffle me both on here and our Facebook page,calling some of our signings second rate before they’ve even seen them play. 

Haven't read any comments questioning the ability of the signings (I don't do facebook). Point is though, they could be the best collection of forwards in the division, you can still only put nine of them in the match day squad.

George Bernard Shaw.

23 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I may be seen as one of that group. I neither know nor care what other clubs are doing with their recruitment, but it seems to me that we are (for the second year running), signing players in positions already well catered for. Out of the nineteen players signed, only seven are backs. I’d also consider that two of those are every bit as much out and out centres as Kevin Sinfield was an out and out Stand off, but I’ll let that pass. I worry that as things stand we have no backs cover whatsoever. I wouldn't want us to depend on the lottery that is DR to solve that problem. It seems that PM’s prediction that we will be “prop ing “ up the division is already a reality.

You may not know, nor care, GOR but this is highly relevant. There has not been an influx of quality signings into any club so far, indicating that the market might not be awash with the necessary players. Needing cover for certain positions is one thing but I am sure that you would be the last to suggest that we simply sign anyone just because they play in that position, irrespective of their potential.

PMs predictions are simply an attempt to disguise the inadequacy of his own club's recruitment to date.

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You may not know, nor care, GOR but this is highly relevant. There has not been an influx of quality signings into any club so far, indicating that the market might not be awash with the necessary players. Needing cover for certain positions is one thing but I am sure that you would be the last to suggest that we simply sign anyone just because they play in that position, irrespective of their potential.

PMs predictions are simply an attempt to disguise the inadequacy of his own club's recruitment to date.

Fair point BSJ, but I would also be the last to suggest we should sign players for positions in which we are already adequately covered, simply because we can't yet find the players needed to cover our deficiencies. If we keep on doing that, there might well be nothing left in the pot to sign on players who do become available.

George Bernard Shaw.

8 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Fair point BSJ, but I would also be the last to suggest we should sign players for positions in which we are already adequately covered, simply because we can't yet find the players needed to cover our deficiencies. If we keep on doing that, there might well be nothing left in the pot to sign on players who do become available.

Indeed, but as MS said at the recent forum we do still have a fair chunk of our budget left for the right players. Like you I wouldn't expect these to be more big lads for the pack. I promise to remain patient.  ?

I hear a whisper that another winger is on his way to us. This might make Grumpy and Nick slightly happier even if not completely gruntled.

6 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I hear a whisper that another winger is on his way to us. This might make Grumpy and Nick slightly happier even if not completely gruntled.

Has Mason Caton Brown found a club yet? .... he'd be a good signing .... but probably too expensive! 

or Rob Massam ... looked really good for Rochdale .... then I think he went to Wales! 

Archived