Team for next season

Wakefield Ram

6 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

I'm gathering we have signed a couple more backs as cover then. Will I have heard of them, or will they be as obscure as all but two of our new signings ? Honestly BSJ, the suspense is killing me, and I bet they are on tenterhooks down in Coventry as well. :kolobok_nea:

Would one who played 13 SL games last year impress you GOR?

That there Tom Garratt was equally obscure - would you reject everyone that you haven't heard of?

Cheer up Grumpy, Christmas will soon be over.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Would one who played 13 SL games last year impress you GOR?

That there Tom Garratt was equally obscure - would you reject everyone that you haven't heard of?

Cheer up Grumpy, Christmas will soon be over.

Don't get me started on Christmas. Every year as a child, hoping for a scalextrix  and ending up with a compendium of games and a smokers set. That pattern of expectation, followed ultimately by disappointment, has ironically been a hallmark of my allegiance to the Rams. Take your point about TG, but out of the fish we netted in our trawl of the lower reaches last year, how many did we throw back ? I would be impressed by an established SL player though as long as it's not another prop, back rower or hooker.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

3 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Don't get me started on Christmas. Every year as a child, hoping for a scalextrix  and ending up with a compendium of games and a smokers set. That pattern of expectation, followed ultimately by disappointment, has ironically been a hallmark of my allegiance to the Rams. Take your point about TG, but out of the fish we netted in our trawl of the lower reaches last year, how many did we throw back ? I would be impressed by an established SL player though as long as it's not another prop, back rower or hooker.

Would a centre make you happier?

I agree, as I'm sure would LG, that last year's recruitment was a bit scattergun like. This year circumstances are quite different and Lee has had a chance to plan the structure of his squad more carefully. This is now his chance to prove that his selection abilities, combined with his coaching, can produce a superior result.

I'm not getting giddy with the prospects but we might be aiming for something like 8th or even better, given a bit of luck for once.

(p.s. had Scalextric been invented by then, or did you mean a hoop and stick?)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Bit of a beggar when we're already thinking on both sides of the valley whether we'll come 10th or 11th!! Everybody and their granny is signing for Feb!, Fax, Eagles,  all well strong.

3 hours ago, phildog said:

Bit of a beggar when we're already thinking on both sides of the valley whether we'll come 10th or 11th!! Everybody and their granny is signing for Feb!, Fax, Eagles,  all well strong.

Personally I’m quite happy with the squad that we’ve put together and I reckon we will be a lot stronger than last season.Batley have retained majority of last season’s players who in my opinion under achieved,was it down to the coach,is Lingard the answer? I guess you’ll find out next year.

Fev have made some quality signings but I can’t say Halifax and Sheffield have,not what I’ve seen anyway. Anyway not long now before we find out.

Looking at the business we have done .... it could be spectacular ..... Annakin is a fantastic signing !!..... Walton if fit is a fantastic signing!!  ...we have kept the core of last years squad that with a bit of luck could have won at least 5 more games!! 

if just one of the "punts" turns out to be a Tom Garrett  ..... well who knows!!  

I hear the squad is 24 or 25 which means we still have a couple more signings to announce!  Roll on Boxing day!

On 10/11/2019 at 13:21, grumpyoldram said:

Don't get me started on Christmas. Every year as a child, hoping for a scalextrix  and ending up with a compendium of games and a smokers set.

what is a smokers set ?...was it a pretend cigarette kind of thing....or did you smoke as a child ?..

…..

Image2zz.jpg

GB373.jpg

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

7 hours ago, RPH said:

what is a smokers set ?...was it a pretend cigarette kind of thing....or did you smoke as a child ?..

If memory serves correct, there were two types, a chocolate one with chocy cigs and a chocy cigar, and a liquorice one with icing sugar cigs and a liquorice pipe. Shredded coconut "baccy" also rings a bell somewhere. Yes I did smoke in my early teens for a few months - until my dad found out and gave me a good hiding. :kolobok_resent:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

In the website article, he's described as a Utility Back capable of playing all positions.......... Useful cover if that's the case

We can't be far off 'there' now in terms of our 2020 squad ............ In a lot better position than we were this time last year with what seems like a complete squad, together at the start of pre-season training ..... Been a Dewsbury fan for far too long to build up any hopes, but there is cause for cautious optimism 

On 16/11/2019 at 09:47, Crown Flatter said:

Four wingers on the books now, but how often will any see the ball in a position that will allow them to finish with a try?

Whenever you shout "don't kick it!" usually works.

Seriously, there is a chance that we might have two centres who know how to use their wingers properly this year. Ever the optimist, aren't I?

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Seriously, there is a chance that we might have two centres who know how to use their wingers properly this year. Ever the optimist, aren't I?

Another exciting announcement due shortly - maybe it will make GOR smile.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Gosh have we signed two centres ? Love Ryder, but be honest, he's a second row playing centre, and I think the same will be true of Walton. When I think of genuine centres, I don't think of carl abblett and Joel Tomkins, both of whom I think played there, I think of Percival, Watkins and Gildart. Whether Ryder and Walton can get their wingers in remains to be seen.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Another exciting announcement due shortly - maybe it will make GOR smile.

Another 30 something out for an easy ride at the basement end of the championship 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

2 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Gosh have we signed two centres ? Love Ryder, but be honest, he's a second row playing centre, and I think the same will be true of Walton. When I think of genuine centres, I don't think of carl abblett and Joel Tomkins, both of whom I think played there, I think of Percival, Watkins and Gildart. Whether Ryder and Walton can get their wingers in remains to be seen.

Which of our centres of the past ten years fit your criterion then GoR?

Archived