Which current league player would be good on telly in the future?

Watching David Flatman as a link/pitch side guy. Really like him on channel 5 and he's been great so far in the itv stuff for the kick and clap. He's funny, self effacing, knowledgeable, affable... 

Would love to see his equivalent in league TV stuff

Any current player in league who'd make a good presenter in the future? 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Going to throw out Tom Lineham... He's not a rugby league brain box by all accounts but he is funny and a character.... Maybe too much of a northern caracture? 

Funny how no one seems to notice Farrell and Ford when they are being interviewed for the kick and clap gang.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Used to like Big Eorl on the BBC before- for some reason - they stopped using him.

I think John Wilkin always comes across well on the TV and the BBC RL podcasts, not too strong of an accent and Mrs Frisky tells me hes easy on the eye.

The man who would be great and could be a real star if TV give him a go is Jamie Jones Buchanan and he is great on our league segments - but wont happen as the none Northern viewers wouldn't understand him.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Used to like Big Eorl on the BBC before- for some reason - they stopped using him.

I think John Wilkin always comes across well on the TV and the BBC RL podcasts, not too strong of an accent and Mrs Frisky tells me hes easy on the eye.

The man who would be great and could be a real star if TV give him a go is Jamie Jones Buchanan and he is great on our league segments - but wont happen as the none Northern viewers wouldn't understand him.

Accent is way too thick. Comes across very affable, but I’m amazed he gets a media gig with that accent.

Jon Wilkin is probably the best at the moment. Comes across very well. Sam Tomkins could probably do well also. You need to be a bit of a thinker to stand out. We have plenty who just trot out the cliche's and same old questions.

As mentioned by Copa, Hodgson always comes across well when on screen.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Not Tomkins please - that dead eyed look is a bit off putting. Some chaps from ‘smaller’ clubs would be welcome - just rotate and see who hits and then keep inviting them back. Plenty of big personalities with intelligence outside the big clubs.

I like Wilkin but wish he’d stop trying too hard to sound intelligent- too much time spent with Noble I think.

No to JJB that accent is too hard to listen to for long periods.

As a wild card, the Kid from Wigan with the neck problem forced to give up the game. He was on the radio and came over well. Get him in the fold now and train him he is only about 20 now.

I like the different studio guests such as Stef last night.

The NRL-based players have the advantage of being more in demand from the media there, and thus becoming more comfortable on TV or radio with experience.

In the UK, you get media experience by suffering a long-term injury, then getting the call from Radio 5 because they know you're at a loose end. Kevin Brown's done well when he's been part of the BBC coverage this year. 

I assume Ashton Sims will be returning to Australia upon his retirement, but he was fun.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hate to say it but Jon Wilkin is fantastic. He’s knowledgable, passionate, engaging and he speaks really well. He should be signed up by sky the moment he retires.

Anthony Gelling is a gem as well but for different reasons. 

Sam Tomkins is also really good. 

17 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Hate to say it but Jon Wilkin is fantastic. He’s knowledgable, passionate, engaging and he speaks really well. He should be signed up by sky the moment he retires.

Anthony Gelling is a gem as well but for different reasons. 

Sam Tomkins is also really good. 

That’s the thing, it depends what you want. 

If you’re going for someone who’s intelligent and converses well, you’re not going to go for a Gelling but if you’re after more of a personality, you’re not going for a Wilkin. 

Archived