Which current league player would be good on telly in the future?

6 hours ago, Cdd said:

Hate to say it but Jon Wilkin is fantastic. He’s knowledgable, passionate, engaging and he speaks really well. He should be signed up by sky the moment he retires.

Anthony Gelling is a gem as well but for different reasons. 

Sam Tomkins is also really good. 

I have mixed feelings. Listen to all his podcast stuff but he bugs me sometimes. Resorts to over-philosophisation in my view.... Come across as a bit w***ky when he does

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like being a top player is no guarantee of being a good coach, neither does it apply to sports presenting, give or take one or two exceptions. There are far too many ill equipped ex-players taking jobs away from talented journalists who probably understand the game far more than they do, and who are far more comfortable behind a mic. It's also probable that's why the best players don't make the best coaches? Some of the top referees may do a better job?

1 hour ago, Rhinoferg said:

Serious answer, Sam Burgess would be a good ambassador. 

He's good on the NRL magazine shows..... However has pretty much ruled out coming back to the UK

The madman seems to prefer the golden sands and cocktail lounges of Manly Beach to Dewsbury's Minster and  the Tuesday market 

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He's good on the NRL magazine shows..... However has pretty much ruled out coming back to the UK

The madman seems to prefer the golden sands and cocktail lounges of Manly Beach to Dewsbury's Minster and  the Tuesday market 

He can continue to earn a decent crust in Aus post rugby career, i think that would be harder/much less money if he  came back. I'm sure he can afford to come and go as he pleases, possibly staying a few months of the year back in the UK with family..

That said I don't think he's maybe the type to want to do a prime TV role.

9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

He can continue to earn a decent crust in Aus post rugby career, i think that would be harder/much less money if he  came back. I'm sure he can afford to come and go as he pleases, possibly staying a few months of the year back in the UK with family..

That said I don't think he's maybe the type to want to do a prime TV role.

We'll see I guess. Potential as a coach? 

Apart from the ones already mentioned, I thought Stefan Ratchford came across quite well on Thursday. With a bit of media work and confidence he could be good. 

Danny McGuire always speaks well but don’t get the impression he’s up for a gig in the media.

There are plenty of less well known players who would do a good job. Just off the top of my head Chris Atkin being one

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We'll see I guess. Potential as a coach? 

Junior role to encourage kids to play and looking after those coming through the ranks, as a senior coach, nope, and again I really don't see him wanting to be a coach in a senior role in any case, more of a guiding hand/encourager though thinking about it maybe a defensive coach if that was something he'd think about doing.

He just doesn't immediately shout out coach material to me but then I don't really know much about him, I'm not saying he couldn't give it a go and do alright, it's just a general feeling and for me it's often the organiser/doer players even players who get injured out the game early on that go into senior coaching roles.

One of the greatest Australia coaches of all time is Bob Bax, who took over from Clive Churchill at Norths, went on to win 3 consecutive Premiers (although Norths were the reigning champs), took his sides to 14 GF in 24 years with 9 wins. he was 35 when he took over North in 1960 and had already being coaching by the time he turned 30/31. He was a half back and Churchill was a flair fullback and a great coach in his own right.

I think halfbacks and even fullbacks can call a game pretty well, it would be interesting to listen to someone like Zak Hardaker, despite his indiscretions he's clearly an intelligent player and sees the game really well, would he be good TV material, dunno, but I'd be curious to hear how he'd be as a pundit, certainly couldn't be any worse than Baz and Tez and I'm increasingly finding listening to Noble and Kear is grating, Peacock and Wilkin are just a big turn off for me.

On 27/09/2019 at 23:06, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No brainer to stay out in the sunshine

On 28/09/2019 at 13:26, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I think halfbacks and even fullbacks can call a game pretty well, it would be interesting to listen to someone like Zak Hardaker, despite his indiscretions he's clearly an intelligent player and sees the game really well, would he be good TV material, dunno, but I'd be curious to hear how he'd be as a pundit, certainly couldn't be any worse than Baz and Tez and I'm increasingly finding listening to Noble and Kear is grating, Peacock and Wilkin are just a big turn off for me.

Hardaker came across well in the recent ourleague podcast.... Potentially left the nonsense behind himand could be good

On 27/09/2019 at 07:33, Red Willow said:

No to JJB that accent is too hard to listen to for long periods.

As a wild card, the Kid from Wigan with the neck problem forced to give up the game. He was on the radio and came over well. Get him in the fold now and train him he is only about 20 now.

I like the different studio guests such as Stef last night.

The kid from Wigan is Macauley Davies and I agree he comes across really well when he's been on the radio. I'm led to believe he's interested in doing media work in RL and being in his early 20's he's got plenty of time to learn the ropes.

Archived