Which current league player would be good on telly in the future?

1 hour ago, Rhinoferg said:

Could hardly be a role model though....

the discussion isn't about role models though is it, it's about who might be a good TV pundit, and if he reformed and doing good stuff in the community then that can be a good role model and be effective to help kids not make his mistakes.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Some worthy candidates identified in this thread. However if everyone so far named turned up for a screen test at the BBC and Mick Morgan came along wearing a flat cap. I know who would win hands down.

Why Rugby AM thought he was a good choice to be on their now defunct NCL coverage is beyond me. Talk about perpetuating a stereotype. 

39 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

the discussion isn't about role models though is it, it's about who might be a good TV pundit, and if he reformed and doing good stuff in the community then that can be a good role model and be effective to help kids not make his mistakes.

I disagree, in this day and age you aren't allowed to have a dodgy past,it is considered not good publicity and the do gooders of the world will stamp their feet. 

2 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

The kid from Wigan is Macauley Davies and I agree he comes across really well when he's been on the radio. I'm led to believe he's interested in doing media work in RL and being in his early 20's he's got plenty of time to learn the ropes.

That's the lad. Really sounded knowledgeable and didn't talk just to fill the gap.

Watching the highlights on Beeb I realise JJB 's problem isn't the accent but more like he sounds like his mouth is full.

20 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

I disagree, in this day and age you aren't allowed to have a dodgy past,it is considered not good publicity and the do gooders of the world will stamp their feet. 

sarcasm?

Those running programmes around the country and in other countries with people with a not so clean past that can speak to kids with actual experience of the pitfalls of going down the wrong path will say that it's a good thing. In terms of 'good publicity', define what you mean by that, good publicity can come in a whole host of different ways and people need not be squeaky clean, in fact those who are squeaky clean in public often have a shady past and are living a lie not to mention having zero experience of the problems that people can so easily go through so cannot offer any real world experiences/relate to people and offer up workable solutions to overcome and methods to avoid getting onto the bad path in the first instance.

I'm not saying he's that person but people with far worse backgrounds and crimes have changed many lives for the better.

13 hours ago, The Future is League said:

1. He's a good player at Super League level so his opinion gets respected

2. It doesn't matter what accent he has as long as he can be understood

3. Looks at the camera and the interviewer when being interviewed and looks relaxed

4.Comes over as reasonably intelligent and has a clean past

NOT Zak Hardaker then

Have to agree with Shenton.  Looks good and sounds good.  Wilkin is far better than the slavering Peacock or JJB though.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Wilkin said a few years back that when he retires he wants a career in the media. Seem to remember he went to college and did a media / journalism course as well. He's got his café in Culcheth as a secondary income (my missus works round the corner and said its always busy during the week) so he's obviously also got a pretty good business brain.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 29/09/2019 at 23:06, The Future is League said:

1. He's a good player at Super League level so his opinion gets respected

2. It doesn't matter what accent he has as long as he can be understood

3. Looks at the camera and the interviewer when being interviewed and looks relaxed

4.Comes over as reasonably intelligent and has a clean past

If you think that should be the only criteria then I’m not sure you understand broadcasting. Look at most other sports, news channels, presenters, game show hosts etc. And you’ll realise that someone who speaks well with personality can make a huge difference to the way a show or event is perceived.

Baz and Tez don’t do the sport any justice at all. 

7 hours ago, Cdd said:

If you think that should be the only criteria then I’m not sure you understand broadcasting. Look at most other sports, news channels, presenters, game show hosts etc. And you’ll realise that someone who speaks well with personality can make a huge difference to the way a show or event is perceived.

Obviously i don't think that should be the only criteria but for starters

Shenton and Wilkin for me. Both far better than  any others.

Peacock and JJB might be ok for local radio but shouldn't be anywhere near tv. Both Shenton and Wilkin are very good summerisers whereas Baz, Tez, JP and JJB are just not good enough. All very good players and understand the game as players with the experience they have but being able to summerise a game on tv is a different matter. Shenton and Wilkin can do it, the others can't.   

10 hours ago, Cdd said:

You've got to be good on camera/microphone first and foremost. Past glories on the field can add a little lustre, but if you just rely on that, you get Michael Owen presenting the Football in the style of a recently-exhumed corpse.

And who says they have to have played at all? Mark Chapman and Clare Balding have done just fine in recent years without ever having picked up a Rugby ball in anger, not to mention the likes of Keith Macklin or Andrew Voss.

If we can get a former player who's also a broadcasting delight, great! If not, just get someone who people enjoy watching or listening to.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Chappers yes

Balding.... Hmmmm.... Was she ever really interested? 

Whether she was or not, she broadened the appeal of the game a damn sight more than a bored Steve Rider or an openly contemptuous John Inverdolt. And I think she was genuinely into it, given her evident enthusiasm while she was at BBC Sport.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived