Earlier this year I spent a fortnight backpacking around Albania. It's a wonderful country, beautiful and full of contrasts, with friendly people, yet, by European standards, relatively poor. I often thought (and based on zero actual evidence!) that a bit of investment could go a long way towards establishing RL in Albania. With salaries as low as £250 p/m the cost of funding development work offers VFM.

Would Albanians take to RL? Why not? Sporting opprtunities seem limited to soccer and basketball, and any peoples whose third favourite sport is weightlifting obviously like a bit of machismo. 

7 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Earlier this year I spent a fortnight backpacking around Albania. It's a wonderful country, beautiful and full of contrasts, with friendly people, yet, by European standards, relatively poor. I often thought (and based on zero actual evidence!) that a bit of investment could go a long way towards establishing RL in Albania. With salaries as low as £250 p/m the cost of funding development work offers VFM.

Would Albanians take to RL? Why not? Sporting opprtunities seem limited to soccer and basketball, and any peoples whose third favourite sport is weightlifting obviously like a bit of machismo. 

My mum's been involved with the music scene in Albania for over 20 years, and I tagged along once to spend New Year in Tirana back in the Nineties. Quite a trip, even though we were only in Tirana and not out in the country. The music talent there has taken an economic hit over the last couple of decades, but is still extraordinary for any country, let alone one as small as Albania. I met some great people, and really enjoyed my time there, despite the many daily power cuts.

As for sport, Football dominates; not just domestic, but their close ties with Italy mean Serie A is also big there.

If you want proper eye-boggling scenery, do an image search for "the accursed mountains". Here's an example.

maxresdefault.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

My mum's been involved with the music scene in Albania for over 20 years, and I tagged along once to spend New Year in Tirana back in the Nineties. Quite a trip, even though we were only in Tirana and not out in the country. The music talent there has taken an economic hit over the last couple of decades, but is still extraordinary for any country, let alone one as small as Albania. I met some great people, and really enjoyed my time there, despite the many daily power cuts.

As for sport, Football dominates; not just domestic, but their close ties with Italy mean Serie A is also big there.

If you want proper eye-boggling scenery, do an image search for "the accursed mountains". Here's an example.

maxresdefault.jpg

That's Thethi in the Albanian Alps. I went there, the scenery is breathtaking. In fact, the hostel I stayed in is just to the left of where the photographer was standing. No room for a rugby pitch in that hamlet.

Serie A is huge and plenty of bars show their colours. 

That said, RL could carve a niche. 

3 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

That's Thethi in the Albanian Alps. I went there, the scenery is breathtaking. In fact, the hostel I stayed in is just to the left of where the photographer was standing. No room for a rugby pitch in that hamlet.

Serie A is huge and plenty of bars show their colours. 

That said, RL could carve a niche. 

The recent Balkan expansion could help drag as-yet uncommitted nations along, so let's hope Albania build a foothold in the sport, if only to have a crack at their neighbours.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived