Sack Harry Sunderland!

I  spent a lot of time looking into this when it was brought up some time back, I trawled through loads of articles from around that period and could find nothing to back it up.

A research assistant at Wigan museum/library asked me what I was researching, when I explained it she had a wry smile and said something along the lines of "racism was that rife at the time it wouldn't warrant a mention anywhere, it was just not unusual at all".

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Following the decline of the rampant Featherstone team of the 1970's , there's been a marked decrease  in the proportion  of bald players. I blame Thatcher.

Yes, I missed out bald players and, for that matter, the one I shouldn't have forgotten, players with beards.

11 minutes ago, Padge said:

I  spent a lot of time looking into this when it was brought up some time back, I trawled through loads of articles from around that period and could find nothing to back it up.

A research assistant at Wigan museum/library asked me what I was researching, when I explained it she had a wry smile and said something along the lines of "racism was that rife at the time it wouldn't warrant a mention anywhere, it was just not unusual at all".

I think she is being very harsh.

I don't think it was rife in this country in those days, unlike in, for example, the United States.

That doesn't mean it wasn't present at all, but working people were remarkably free of it, as Paul Robeson discovered, particularly in Wales, in the 1930s.

Alex Givvons was discovering something very similar in Oldham in the 1930s.

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I think she is being very harsh.

I don't think it was rife in this country in those days, unlike in, for example, the United States.

That doesn't mean it wasn't present at all, but working people were remarkably free of it, as Paul Robeson discovered, particularly in Wales, in the 1930s.

Alex Givvons was discovering something very similar in Oldham in the 1930s.

I think it was more the point she was making was that it was so common as to be not newsworthy if someone had been sacked because of their race.

Equally if a new boss came in at any workplace you could be sacked with little comeback for having a beard.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

33 minutes ago, Padge said:

I think it was more the point she was making was that it was so common as to be not newsworthy if someone had been sacked because of their race.

Equally if a new boss came in at any workplace you could be sacked with little comeback for having a beard.

I think if Roy Francis had been sacked at Wigan purely on racial grounds, the Wigan supporters would have known it and they would have been up in arms about it.

In that context it certainly would have been newsworthy.

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I think if Roy Francis had been sacked at Wigan purely on racial grounds, the Wigan supporters would have known it and they would have been up in arms about it.

In that context it certainly would have been newsworthy.

It may have been newsworthy, I was stating what I was told by a professional researcher. Being newsworthy doesn't mean it was reported though. You have to take into account what newspapers at the time would decide was worth reporting and if Wigan Rugby were a big advertiser in the local press it may be better to brush it under the carpet.

By the way Martyn I am not saying Sunderland was a racist and we should rename the trophy, I am saying what my experience was in trying to find out if there was anything to back up the assertion that he was. I found nothing, I was just explaining possibilities why as put to me.

5 minutes ago, Padge said:

It may have been newsworthy, I was stating what I was told by a professional researcher. Being newsworthy doesn't mean it was reported though. You have to take into account what newspapers at the time would decide was worth reporting and if Wigan Rugby were a big advertiser in the local press it may be better to brush it under the carpet.

By the way Martyn I am not saying Sunderland was a racist and we should rename the trophy, I am saying what my experience was in trying to find out if there was anything to back up the assertion that he was. I found nothing, I was just explaining possibilities why as put to me.

I recognise what you are saying, but what I would really like to know is why Moorhouse raised it in his book.

Where did it come from, given that it almost seemed to be a throwaway line?

It's very easy to damn people who are now dead and make all sorts of claims about them that they obviously can't rebut.

And since he wrote that book, plenty of people have read that about Sunderland and assumed it must be true.

Sadly, Moorhouse himself died some time ago, so we can't ask him.

8 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I recognise what you are saying, but what I would really like to know is why Moorhouse raised it in his book.

Where did it come from, given that it almost seemed to be a throwaway line?

It's very easy to damn people who are now dead and make all sorts of claims about them that they obviously can't rebut.

And since he wrote that book, plenty of people have read that about Sunderland and assumed it must be true.

Sadly, Moorhouse himself died some time ago, so we can't ask him.

It is odd that it was mentioned in the book but nobody can find where he got it from. I really find the whole thing puzzling. The one place I haven't checked is the Australian press and there is a good open Austrlian news archive site that may be worth looking at.

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Probably two separate questions here.

Q1. Do we have enough BAME players in the top tiers of the UK game?

A. Yes, probably thanks to the Polynesian/Melanesian players you mention.

Q2. Are enough of our UK-developed players from BAME backgrounds?

A. Lots of work still to do, especially in Asian communities given the make-up of many of the towns and cities in West Yorkshire and around Manchester. 

And by the way, this isn't about 'political correctness' or identity politics. It is about saying that if, as some people do, we should be concentrating on heartlands towns like Batley or Bradford (no disrespect to either), we need to be reaching out to the full population in those towns or our base will grow ever smaller.

It's all to do with political correctness, where does it all stop.Change the nameof the trophy and you may as well throw it away.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Richard Wagner was a pretty nasty character even if you take his antisemitism out of the equation (which you can't, before anyone points out the bleeding obvious). His attitude towards almost everyone he encountered in his life was aggressively obnoxious. And yes, he was a musical genius - just one who needed a few sharp punches in the groin.

There’s never been a performance of a Wagner opera in Israel.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Typical of todays society they spend their time trying to change history and less time on today, history is filled with people who if we  spend time researching you could wipe out every famous person's name that has been attached to trophys, buildings,parks, universities and so on. The world's going mad.

30 minutes ago, Poower Lad said:

What if a white person wins the Muhammad Ali Humanitarian award , would they be ok to have a problem as he wasn’t the biggest fan of white people .

Ali was fine with white people.

He wasn’t fine with “white America”.

The problem is that some woeful snowflakes refuse to understand the difference.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Australia had a white only policy and refused to accept aboriginals as (first) people and then (second) as citizens... until very recent history 

do we refuse to accept Australia in the game (they still use the same name as the days of rampant and bigoted racism) because of their past policies 

One for the AOB political "discussion" sub forum. Oops... New poster, of course. Is that a way round the rules now? GK of course has it right. Nowhere near enough BAME players, spectators. Etc. Quotas, that's what we need.

Lock this or move this before the milkshakes are thrown , FFS!!!!!!

16 hours ago, yipyee said:

This was discussed and allowed to stand.

Like the remoaners some people won't leave things lie and admit defeat.

This will come up every year until current culture changes

Yeah it's just like that ?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

11 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Jamie Jones Buchanan is BAME, bald and has a beard. If he'll just declare himself to be non-gender-specific, his name should be on the trophy.

It's name not his name

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Ali was fine with white people.

He wasn’t fine with “white America”.

The problem is that some woeful snowflakes refuse to understand the difference.

Watch this and then discuss , Also I am not a snowflake I am a 42 year old Ex miner and Soldier .

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/muhammad-ali-nation-of-islam-michael-parkinson-interview-who-were-elijah-muhammad-a7066301.html

Archived