Your season highlights

AB Knight

Just for a bit of fun....feel free to add your own.

Player of the season: The obvious thing to write is the whole team but it’s a boring answer! For me it’s Matty Marsh, he’s finished as top try scorer and been safe as houses at the back. Plus he excelled at half back (Barrow in the cup) when asked to play there. Special mentions to Horne and Connor Robinson.

Young player of the season: I think Jason Bass just shades it, he’s really stepped up well from playing lower end League 1. Likewise Marcus Stock has stepped up well too.

Most improved: Will Jubb. Thought at times last year he did the exact opposite of what was needed (eg going himself when we had a big overlap). He’s really developed well and played some big minutes.

Favourite home match: Tough one! Leigh, Bradford and Featherstone (league game) were all great occasions. I think the Fev game just shades it, the match that sealed our playoff position.

Favourite away match: I’ve said in a few posts we are a funny lot at the Knights, we often choose to spread ourselves around the ground instead of congregating together. Sheffield away was where it seemed to click - most of us stood behind the sticks in the 2nd half, plenty flags on show and great atmosphere while the team did the business on the pitch. Since then we seem to all stand/sit together. More of the same in 2020! Also enjoyed Leigh, Halifax and Widnes (league) away. Dewsbury was good too getting that first Championship win.

Biggest disappointment: Rochdale away (the postponed game). A farce all round, IMO there was never any intention to play that game and it all seemed like half hearted apologies and contradictory statements from the Hornets. I honestly think York would’ve gone top that day. Featherstone away in the league was a long evening too.

Hopes for 2020: I hope we finally move into the stadium. I hope we don’t have ‘new stadium syndrome’ and struggle to perform there. I hope shuttle buses are sorted, and we get a wider range of merchandise with a dedicated club shop at the new ground, City must have 200 items available to buy, the Knights about 20? I wish all the supporters groups could all work together because at the end of the day we all want the same thing - the Knights to progress.

I hope we continue to do physical programmes, most clubs have stopped doing them. I enjoy writing my previews and cocking up the stats (Gav; James Ford is definitely on 99 wins!).

Also think while it's great that everyone chips in with tries we are missing that 15+ tries a season winger....our wingers finished with 8 (Oakes, Whiteley and Bass although he plays centre too).

Lastly I hope the extra fans stick around and we can continue to consolidate our position as a Championship club.

Where do you start...I could type out so much that if I started now, I wouldn't be finished before tomorrow tea time hahaha. Season highlights are too numerous to mention, starting with a brilliant effort against TW at the beginning of the season and ending with team of the season. 

Jubby or Will Oakes for player of the season for me....but it could have been any of the squad...

Archived