NZ Warriors Sale

NZ Warriors have been bought by Autex which is a company that has sponsored NZ Rugby League for a long time. I believe that Autex were the First company to sponsor a New Zealand representative sporting team when they sponsored the Kiwis in the early 80's. The Carlaw Park Heritage Trust which was set up to fund the Auckland Rugby League has apparently taken a 2.5 million dollar loss on the sale. One of the goals of the trust in buying the NZ warriors was to set up a semi pro competition! Logically thinking the trust could have spent the 2.5 million funding the Auckland Fox Memorial competition over 5 years! I really hope NZ Warriors new owner can get things going in the right direction and break them out of the over promising under delivering, mediocrity they have experienced through most of there existence. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12271707

• 2 weeks later...

I think you`re hoping for a miracle there mate. They can`t get anything right and the odd time that they do they soon enough stuff it all up. They had three teams in the NRL in 2019 and not one of them made the play offs,so something is badly wrong. Poor boardroom decisions,poor coaching,poor selections,poor decisions on the park by equally poor players. Who knows,but the Warriors are surely the worst of the sixteen clubs who`ve made up the comp since 1995. Will it improve anytime soon? I ain`t holding my breath.

The CHT deal always looked wrong. They never had a clear, identifiable reason for taking on the Warriors - talking about using the club's resources to fund a semi-pro competition was just nonsense. What the Warriors really needs is to be run as a proper business in its own right, with a clear focus on winning games and getting people through the gates. That should, must in fact, be completely separate from the domestic club game. And the quotes from McGregor in that article are just gibberish.

Always felt like McGregor fancied a shot at being charge of a big league club, and was using the resources of a charity to get it. Turns out he wasn't up to it, and the whole thing was a huge mistake.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

4 hours ago, DiddyDave said:

I think you`re hoping for a miracle there mate. They can`t get anything right and the odd time that they do they soon enough stuff it all up. They had three teams in the NRL in 2019 and not one of them made the play offs,so something is badly wrong. Poor boardroom decisions,poor coaching,poor selections,poor decisions on the park by equally poor players. Who knows,but the Warriors are surely the worst of the sixteen clubs who`ve made up the comp since 1995. Will it improve anytime soon? I ain`t holding my breath.

The Titans are worse than the Warriors but thats about it, for the most part beside 2 decent patches of 2-3 years each, for best part of its 25 years its been. For the most part its been make the same mistakes, do the same thing get the same results select the same types of players from the same areas and get the same results. Believe me unless they are competitive right from the start and through out the next l season, I wont be watching lot alone holding my breathe!

39 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

The CHT deal always looked wrong. They never had a clear, identifiable reason for taking on the Warriors - talking about using the club's resources to fund a semi-pro competition was just nonsense. What the Warriors really needs is to be run as a proper business in its own right, with a clear focus on winning games and getting people through the gates. That should, must in fact, be completely separate from the domestic club game. And the quotes from McGregor in that article are just gibberish.

Always felt like McGregor fancied a shot at being charge of a big league club, and was using the resources of a charity to get it. Turns out he wasn't up to it, and the whole thing was a huge mistake.

One good thing Ive read about Autex ownership is as a multi million business they can invest in the Club and use the investment as tax write off against there other business. CHT as a not for profit organization were not able to do that.... $2.5 million NZD lost on sale of the NZ Warriors by CHT the could have just set up a semi pro comp with that money instead of trying to buy the NZ Warriors.

The unfortunate thing is that as long as the Warriors have a NZ player base they will flatter to deceive just like the national team, consistency just isn't part of the DNA, being a Bro' and 'attitude' is what concern's the player's far more than knuckling down and putting in some hard work?

Hmm ok that old kettle of fish, eh! Well that might be partly to blame over the years but so are other factors at the club like poor administration, coaching, development, recruitment, retention, under funding. Some factors are out of the clubs control or things the club cant really do much about, NZRL is skint cant fund semi pro comp, Coaching and Player development in NZ is not good, NRL Refs have an almost blatant bias against the NZ warriors, Scheduling of matches and travel and a Lack of NRL investment back in NZ Rugby League.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/sports/05-09-2019/the-long-and-sordid-warriors-saga-has-a-chance-at-a-happy-ending/ 

Archived