7th v 8th in Grand Final - An Old Favourite Comes Up Trumps

Newtown Jets and Wentworthville Magpies finished the regular season in 7th and 8th and both won three successive knockout fixtures to make the GF.

In a 12 team comp, both having finished in the bottom half of the table after the regular season, many would suitably argue that neither even deserved to be fighting for a shot at the title.

Newtown won in extra time in front of more people that attended Wigan and Warrington a couple of weekends ago.

They go on to play Burleigh Bears (Qld Cup Champions) in the curtain raider to next week’s NRL GF.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Newtown Jets and Wentworthville Magpies finished the regular season in 7th and 8th and both won three successive knockout fixtures to make the GF.

In a 12 team comp, both having finished in the bottom half of the table after the regular season, many would suitably argue that neither even deserved to be fighting for a shot at the title.

Newtown won in extra time in front of more people that attended Wigan and Warrington a couple of weekends ago.

They go on to play Burleigh Bears (Qld Cup Champions) in the curtain raider to next week’s NRL GF.

I do think that a top 8 playoff system could work and be more exciting.

A 1 plays 8

B 2 plays 7

C 3 plays 6

D4 plays 5

Winner of A plays the winner of D. Winner of B plays winner of C and the 2 winners meet in the grand final

Straight knock out football with no 2nd chances and easy to understand

23 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

A 1 plays 8

B 2 plays 7

C 3 plays 6

D4 plays 5

Winner of A plays the winner of D. Winner of B plays winner of C and the 2 winners meet in the grand final

I see very little incentive to finish up the table in such a system. Clubs merely need to get in the 8 and if they are good enough have as much chance as anyone else. League placings would become fairly meaningless in my opinion.

40 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

A 1 plays 8

B 2 plays 7

C 3 plays 6

D4 plays 5

Not enough reward for the top teams in that format. Sorry definitely not for me.

neither is a top 8 in a 12 team comp

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I see very little incentive to finish up the table in such a system. Clubs merely need to get in the 8 and if they are good enough have as much chance as anyone else. League placings would become fairly meaningless in my opinion.

Home to the 8th placed team should be a banker home win

Home to the winner of the 4th v 5th team should be a home banker.

I'm not happy with the fact that you can lose in the play offs and still make the final, but I'm just expressing my views and nobody at the RFL or Super League would be in the slightest bit interested in my views and I'm fully aware of that

53 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

What was the attendance?

Didn't Newtown always used to put out the same figure, something like 6 thousand and odd which I believe was their last attendance when in the premier competition.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

23 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

What was the attendance?

Didn't Newtown always used to put out the same figure, something like 6 thousand and odd which I believe was their last attendance when in the premier competition.

Yes something like 8,972 and that was the attendance given for the game. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Yes something like 8,972 and that was the attendance given for the game. 

Back in those days if Newtown could have guaranteed home crowds of 8,972 they wouldn't have been dumped. In their last couple of years their crowds dipped below 3K. Sad, because it was such a nice ground.

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

A 1 plays 8

B 2 plays 7

C 3 plays 6

D4 plays 5

Absolutely not what would be the point of the regular season 

Yeah you could argue they finished in the bottom half and you could say they're not worthy, but I'd disagree with that. Knockout or not, they qualified for the eight (which to be fair is all you need to do, it's like going through in a cup competition in extra time), and then they've been doing the business as needed. Fair play to them I say.

8 hours ago, JonM said:

16 in the first division, 14 in the second, for most of that time.

That’s a very different proposition then. NRL is a top 8 from 16. 

However, if you are arguing that to be too relaxed as well, then you may have supporters. Even me ?

3 hours ago, overtheborder said:

Yeah you could argue they finished in the bottom half and you could say they're not worthy, but I'd disagree with that. Knockout or not, they qualified for the eight (which to be fair is all you need to do, it's like going through in a cup competition in extra time), and then they've been doing the business as needed. Fair play to them I say.

I agree. I’m not trying to diminish their premiership. I actually support them in that competition.

I simply think the authorities put the regular season in jeopardy of relevance by having finals with two teams in the bottom half of the table.

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That’s a very different proposition then. NRL is a top 8 from 16. 

However, if you are arguing that to be too relaxed as well, then you may have supporters. Even me ?

It was treated as a lesser competition than the league title, so at the time there wasn't too much debate about the format.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

It was treated as a lesser competition than the league title, so at the time there wasn't too much debate about the format.

Indeed it was and was often an afterthought for many teams. It was essentially a Cup separate to the league with little reward for League positions. The play offs are, and should be, a different kettle of fish with a big reward for League placings over the course of the season.

On 29/09/2019 at 16:40, The Future is League said:

Home to the 8th placed team should be a banker home win

Home to the winner of the 4th v 5th team should be a home banker.

I'm not happy with the fact that you can lose in the play offs and still make the final, but I'm just expressing my views and nobody at the RFL or Super League would be in the slightest bit interested in my views and I'm fully aware of that

I think in 1975 Salford who won the league  lost to Bradford who had won the second division in the play offs! 

Archived