International RL Eligibility - List of Players Eligible for...

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Didn’t realise Germany could potentially call on so many players.

Yep, as you can see we had a lot of players return with German grandparents.

The likes of Germany, Hungary and Poland would be even more well stocked if eligibility allowed for great-grandparentage.

46 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Probably best that we can’t!

Agreed, even grandparent is a bit distant from a country.  The second generation descendants of immigrants can usually speak the old country's language because they hear it at home growing up, but it's often lost by the generation after in part because of intermarriage with spouses who don't speak that language.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Didn’t realise Germany could potentially call on so many players.

There are a few missing as well. A number of players like Tom Johnstone (Wakefield), Andrew Hoggins (Oxford), Connor Hampson (Halifax Reserves) were born in Germany, due to parents being stationed there or like Brad Billsborough (Former St.Helens Academy, Swinton and now Grafton Ghosts) a parent was born there due to the father being stationed there. Adam Quinlin is another with German Heritage as is Paul Gallen and David Klemmer. Brisbane Broncos Coach Anthony Seibold played one game for Germany in 2006.

Its a bit complicated in some instances. Some Parents or Grandparents were born in a land that was formerly Germany, Yugoslavia, Russia/Soviet Union etc, but are now in other Nations like Poland or a new Nation has been formed since then like Serbia, Croatia, Latvia, Kosovo, Ukraine etc

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Its a bit complicated in some instances. Some Parents or Grandparents were born in a land that was formerly Germany, Yugoslavia, Russia/Soviet Union etc, but are now in other Nations like Poland or a new Nation has been formed since then like Serbia, Croatia, Latvia, Kosovo, Ukraine etc

That's true too, and probably fairly common with grandparents come to think of it.

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

There are a few missing as well. A number of players like Tom Johnstone (Wakefield), Andrew Hoggins (Oxford), Connor Hampson (Halifax Reserves) were born in Germany, due to parents being stationed there or like Brad Billsborough (Former St.Helens Academy, Swinton and now Grafton Ghosts) a parent was born there due to the father being stationed there. Adam Quinlin is another with German Heritage as is Paul Gallen and David Klemmer. Brisbane Broncos Coach Anthony Seibold played one game for Germany in 2006.

80% complete.

also please note the competitions the research has covered so can’t include Brad Billsborough as it opens up a new competition to research.

Connor Hampson didn’t have a squad number in 2019 so wasn’t included.

Thanks for the info on Quinlan however.

Edited by welshmagpie

5 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

A whole host of nations (albeit 4 so far).

80% of research complete, all nations (barring the big 3) should be live by January 2020.

https://hecanplayfor.weebly.com/

The Eligibility rule should end with a parent. The grandparent rule is stupid in my opinion

• Like 4

1 minute ago, burnleywelsh said:

Why ??  I’d love my grandson to play for Wales. Iestyn Harris wouldn’t have done so either according to your criteria.

Iestyn Harris was born in England so were his parents.

I had 2 grandparents who were born in Ireland, but both my parents were born in England, and i would never have played for Ireland even if i was good enough. I'm English

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Iestyn Harris was born in England so were his parents.

I had 2 grandparents who were born in Ireland, but both my parents were born in England, and i would never have played for Ireland even if i was good enough. I'm English

Good for you. You obviously had no connection with your heritage. My family has.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The residency rule should be longer, say 10 years, or at least been to school here.

I agree. I was thinking 10 years may be a bit steep, but upon reflection, maybe not.

10 years if you were not a resident by age 12. Sounds pretty good to me.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Why ??  I’d love my grandson to play for Wales. Iestyn Harris wouldn’t have done so either according to your criteria.

Your comment certainly opens up the idea of GB. Whilst the squad that will get selected to tour later this year will almost be solely filled with players born or predominantly schooled in England.

The heritage of those selected however may have some greater Celtic connection. 

Perhaps that is how the team should be marketed. Interview players parents or grandparents who are from the Celtic nations to demonstrate the greater British influence of that team.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Your comment certainly opens up the idea of GB. Whilst the squad that will get selected to tour later this year will almost be solely filled with players born or predominantly schooled in England.

The heritage of those selected however may have some greater Celtic connection. 

Perhaps that is how the team should be marketed. Interview players parents or grandparents who are from the Celtic nations to demonstrate the greater British influence of that team.

i think that would be a great way of doing this a bit differently... i dont like the GB team as i dont really see the point at the moment but this would be a nice way to link it all together.. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Future is League said:

So if there was a war between England and Wales you would choose Wales would you?

This is the only way to determine true eligibility. We need all nations to declare war on each other and see who the players fight for.

Blake Austin needs to form a British Expeditionary Force to take NSW by sea or he's cut.

If Micky McIlorum hasn't joined an IRA active service unit within 24hrs he never gets to pull on a green jersey again.

• Haha 5

On 29/09/2019 at 18:44, Lounge Room Lizard said:

If I remember my politics correctly (which I doubt), when the Soviet Union & Yugoslavia were breaking up, many players of football declared for either their "New" country depending on where they were born fell, or they were allowed to chose Parental, or Grandparental birth places, again wherever the new boundaries lay.