International RL Eligibility - List of Players Eligible for...

Surely Cameron McInnes from Dragons has scottish heritage ?

and the potential backline for Scotland in the world cup could look like

1. Lachlan Coote - St Helens

2. Lewis Tierney - Leigh

3. Campbell Graham - Souths

4. Euan Aitkens - Warriors

5. Matty Russell - Leigh

6. Callum McLelland - Leeds

7. Ryan Brierley - Leigh

Im sure Kane Linnet will be picked in the 2nd Row

On 25/06/2020 at 18:54, noobiefana said:

The truth is that the notion of a World Cup in rugby league is absurd. The game is a regional game in the North of England and the East coast areas of Australia.. Nothing wrong with that. 

I'm Irish. The reality is that the RLWC makes no impression in Ireland and the Irish team gets no support for two reasons.

1. League has little or no fanbase in a heavily contested sporting landscape

2. The team is not Irish.

The concept is artificial.

Strange comment from a supposed RL fan.......

And yet you lot in Ireland support a soccer team that usually has very few Irish born players. Take your greatest ever soccer result - the win over Italy in the 94 WC. Of the 13 players who played that day only 4 were born in Ireland. That's before we get to the manager that day.

Seems you are picking and choosing which version of your national team you support because Soccer is more popular than RL in Eire - as i said strange comment from a supposed RL fan. Especially with the effort that Ireland RL have done over the past few years to encourage more local players into the national team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’d be interesting to see the lists of players eligible for Greece and Samoa too with them in the same World Cup group as England 

Sadly mate Samoa is just too big to consider... I’d say 1 in 4 of the junior players I contact down under are Tonga/Samoa eligible. I could do an NRL and SL list only though.

Got Greece going, they’ve a fair list of players and a good mixture from various comps. Will let you know when it’s up 

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading an article which stated all players from the 16 nations will be getting paid equally so do you think this will cause a ripple effect and see players wanting to rep the lesser nations instead of the top three.

i think besides the money i think they will want to be part of history if the lesser nations can win or draw with the top tier nations.
For example think about games like the four nations when Scotland drew with NZ or when Tonga beat Australia, Great Britian and New Zealand  

10 hours ago, Quinn said:

I was just reading an article which stated all players from the 16 nations will be getting paid equally

I don’t think this is strictly true. I believe it’s all players from all Nations will be paid a minimum amount, but certain individual Nations can and will pay over and above this amount to their players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2021 at 05:59, Quinn said:

Surely Cameron McInnes from Dragons has scottish heritage ?

and the potential backline for Scotland in the world cup could look like

1. Lachlan Coote - St Helens

2. Lewis Tierney - Leigh

3. Campbell Graham - Souths

4. Euan Aitkens - Warriors

5. Matty Russell - Leigh

6. Callum McLelland - Leeds

7. Ryan Brierley - Leigh

Im sure Kane Linnet will be picked in the 2nd Row

Stephen Crichton from Penrith is also eligible for Scotland be a great coup is he plays for them but more likely he will play for Samoa. 

On 21/02/2021 at 08:03, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I don’t think this is strictly true. I believe it’s all players from all Nations will be paid a minimum amount, but certain individual Nations can and will pay over and above this amount to their players.

Yep, arnt the Aussies on about £20k a match and England on about £10k a match? + you would assume some kind of win bonus- players from the likes of Scotland won't be on anywhere near that.

So theres so much talk about the young roosters player Sam Walker at moment. 

i read he was born in Leeds  now if you were the english coach wouldn’t you do everything in your power to get him to play for England instead of Australia 

also since super league is doing england v rest of the world could nrl do england v Australia for match experience before the world cup
i fell theres enough british born or heritage players in the nrl to do a England squad.

youve got 

Herbie Farnsworth, Sam Walker, Dom Young, Josh and Bailey Hodgson, Elliot Whitehead, Ryan Sutton, George Williams, Jordan Pereira, Tom Burgess, Max King, 

Thats all ive got does anyone know anymore nrl players eligible for england

Edited by Quinn

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Hey Welsh Magpie, are there any players from Hungary, Poland or Spanish heritage? Even if it's by great grandparents just curious too see any players from those countries as I my self hail from these nations. 

Ps I just followed you on IG

Keep your eyes on Instagram mate. What you see of Hungary is all I know there (forgot to include the Mozer’s however)

On 02/02/2021 at 21:12, Mr Frisky said:

Strange comment from a supposed RL fan.......

And yet you lot in Ireland support a soccer team that usually has very few Irish born players. 

Seems you are picking and choosing which version of your national team you support because Soccer is more popular than RL in Eire - as i said strange comment from a supposed RL fan. Especially with the effort that Ireland RL have done over the past few years to encourage more local players into the national team.

Can I just ask how old you are please?

I think that you have been told before on here that the country is not called that, yet you persist in calling it that.

It is the sort of name that old pensioners (or those stuck in the past) are likely to use, yet is completely inappropriate in the modern era.  

And noobiefana is correct - the Rugby League World Cup will make zero impact in Ireland. The exact same can be said for Scotland. 

(Where I disagree with him is however, I believe the RLWC is still a very worthwhile event. Just not in countries like Ireland or Scotland where nobody CGAF).

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Can I just ask how old you are please?

I think that you have been told before on here that the country is not called that, yet you persist in calling it that.

It is the sort of name that old pensioners (or those stuck in the past) are likely to use, yet is completely inappropriate in the modern era.  

And noobiefana is correct - the Rugby League World Cup will make zero impact in Ireland. The exact same can be said for Scotland. 

(Where I disagree with him is however, I believe the RLWC is still a very worthwhile event. Just not in countries like Ireland or Scotland where nobody CGAF).

As I said ages ago.... strange post for a supposed RL fan......

Are you that desperate for an argument? You spend your time digging up old posts from months ago? - any RL comments about your own team?

How's your petition going to get Danny Brough to play for you in the WC??

Edited by Mr Frisky

37 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

As I said ages ago.... strange post for a supposed RL fan......

Are you that desperate for an argument? You spend your time digging up old posts from months ago? - any RL comments about your own team?

How's your petition going to get Danny Brough to play for you in the WC??

I had not seen the date on the post. Apologies. I thought it was more recent.

CGAF about Danny Brough TBF. Nobody in Scotland is remotely interested in a bunch of Yorkshiremen pretending to be Scottish. There are more interesting teams in the  World Cup to follow. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I had not seen the date on the post. Apologies. I thought it was more recent.

CGAF about Danny Brough TBF. Nobody in Scotland is remotely interested in a bunch of Yorkshiremen pretending to be Scottish. There are more interesting teams in the  World Cup to follow. 

You speak for the nation then..... funny I know plenty of Jocks who follow RL - stood with a few during the last UK World Cup and also met up with them again at the 4 nations draw with NZ  year later when a coach load of them travelled to Workington - they seemed pretty happy and proud to support Scotland RL.

Don't judge every Scotsman by your standards. Also your star man lachlan coote was born in Australia not Yorkshire.

Hope Broughy answers your call. - fingers crossed for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

You speak for the nation then..... funny I know plenty of Jocks who follow RL - stood with a few during the last UK World Cup and also met up with them again at the 4 nations draw with NZ  year later when a coach load of them travelled to Workington - they seemed pretty happy and proud to support Scotland RL.

Don't judge every Scotsman by your standards. Also your star man lachlan coote was born in Australia not Yorkshire.

Hope Broughy answers your call. - fingers crossed for you.

I’d say the reality is most Scot’s won’t know they are playing in a Rugby League World Cup, rather than them choosing not to watch due to the percentage of players born outside Scotland, after all it doesn’t seem to stop them watching the Six Nations.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’d say the reality is most Scot’s won’t know they are playing in a Rugby League World Cup, rather than them choosing not to watch due to the percentage of players born outside Scotland, after all it doesn’t seem to stop them watching the Six Nations.

Or their Football team....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

These 2 sports are popular in Scotland though.

Rugby League isn't.

Tell that to the coach of Jocks who travelled to Workington- not the nation but 50 more than what you said.

Nice to have true RL fans on here.....