International RL Eligibility - List of Players Eligible for...

20 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I had not seen the date on the post. Apologies. I thought it was more recent.

CGAF about Danny Brough TBF. Nobody in Scotland is remotely interested in a bunch of Yorkshiremen pretending to be Scottish. There are more interesting teams in the  World Cup to follow. 

Indeed, I couldn't care less about what Ireland does in this tournament to be honest due to the setup, which is a shame. Luckily there is still plenty to watch though, can't wait to see PNG, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Indeed, I couldn't care less about what Ireland does in this tournament to be honest due to the setup, which is a shame. Luckily there is still plenty to watch though, can't wait to see PNG, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.

You do know that Fiji, Tonga and Samoa are teams full of heritage players just like Ireland and Scotland, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith989 said:

If its the heratage thing that bothers you? Do you feel the same about the Irish Union or football teams?

Most irish football fans talk about the 1994 WC win over Italy as Irelands greatest ever victory but only 4 of the 13 who played that day were born in Ireland- or does that not matter as football is popular or is it only RL that's a shame for using heratage players?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

If its the heratage thing that bothers you? Do you feel the same about the Irish Union or football teams?

Most irish football fans talk about the 1994 WC win over Italy as Irelands greatest ever victory but only 4 of the 13 who played that day were born in Ireland- or does that not matter as football is popular or is it only RL that's a shame for using heratage players?

Yes I feel same about the the football team. The union team is almost 90% domestic so don't why you're bringing that up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Yes I feel same about the the football team. The union team is almost 90% domestic so don't why you're bringing that up.

So your cut off point for heratage players is 10% - is that the rules and are they set in stone or can we agree on say 25%??

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

So your cut off point for heratage players is 10% - is that the rules and are they set in stone or can we agree on say 25%??

Yeah something like  that.

Edited by Keith989
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I'd suggest a rule along the same lines as in lacrosse, i.e. that something like 75-80% of a team's roster must be citizens and the rest must be eligible to become citizens.  That way every national team would be legitimate.

Before anyone responds with the claim that few countries could field competitive teams that way, note that a good many countries allow citizenship based on ancestry, so in many cases the same heritage players playing international RL today could legitimize themselves by taking out citizenship in the countries they're representing on that basis.

Edited by Big Picture

40 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I'd suggest a rule along the same line as in lacrosse, i.e. that something like 75-80% of a team's roster must be citizens and the rest must be eligible to become citizens.  That way every national team would be legitimate.

Before anyone responds with the claim that few countries could field competitive teams that way, note that a good many countries allow citizenship based on ancestry, so in many cases the same heritage players playing international RL today could legitimize themselves by taking out citizenship in the countries they're representing on that basis.

You lost me at lacrosse......🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Laugh all you want, with 136 members World Lacrosse drawfs International RL.

To be classed as a true global sport you need 137 members- but good try and well done anyway.

Any positive comments about RL or the WC?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Keith989 said:

Unless they have a Six Nations squad of 150 players, they do not have 90% Scottish born players.

Despite having one less foreign-born player than 2020 (16), Gregor Townsend’s roster still contains more than any other competitor in the Six Nations. Of note is that that over half of the Foreign-Born players qualify via a Grandparent. 

1. Ewan Ashman (Toronto, Canada)
  2. Simon Berhan (Christchurch, New Zealand)
  3. Allan Dell (Humansdorp, South Africa)
  4. Oli Kebble (Durban, South Africa)
  5. WP Nel (Loeriesfontein, South Africa)
  6. Blade Thomson (Auckland, New Zealand)
  7. Hamish Watson (Manchester, England)
  8. Ali Price (Norfolk, England)
  9. Jaco van der Walt (Randfontein, South Africa)
  10. Chris Harris (Carlisle, England)
  11. James Land (Ashford, England)
  12. Cameron Redpath (Narbonne, France)
  13. Sean Maitland (Tokoroa, New Zealand)
  14. Byron McGuigan (Walvis Bay, Namibia)
  15. Duhan van der Merwe (George, South Africa)

https://www.ruck.co.uk/which-six-nations-squad-has-the-most-foreign-born-players/4/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Unless they have a Six Nations squad of 150 players, they do not have 90% Scottish born players.

Despite having one less foreign-born player than 2020 (16), Gregor Townsend’s roster still contains more than any other competitor in the Six Nations. Of note is that that over half of the Foreign-Born players qualify via a Grandparent. 

1. Ewan Ashman (Toronto, Canada)
  2. Simon Berhan (Christchurch, New Zealand)
  3. Allan Dell (Humansdorp, South Africa)
  4. Oli Kebble (Durban, South Africa)
  5. WP Nel (Loeriesfontein, South Africa)
  6. Blade Thomson (Auckland, New Zealand)
  7. Hamish Watson (Manchester, England)
  8. Ali Price (Norfolk, England)
  9. Jaco van der Walt (Randfontein, South Africa)
  10. Chris Harris (Carlisle, England)
  11. James Land (Ashford, England)
  12. Cameron Redpath (Narbonne, France)
  13. Sean Maitland (Tokoroa, New Zealand)
  14. Byron McGuigan (Walvis Bay, Namibia)
  15. Duhan van der Merwe (George, South Africa)

https://www.ruck.co.uk/which-six-nations-squad-has-the-most-foreign-born-players/4/

I was talking about Ireland. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Fair enough, but the point still stands, players place of birth doesn’t effect other sports and people shouldn’t use it to talk down rugby league.

It works for certain nations. Like I've stated above I can't wait to watch the likes of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 08:40, Keith989 said:

It works for certain nations. Like I've stated above I can't wait to watch the likes of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. 

I'm curious about something.  If it's OK for the likes of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa why is it not OK for Ireland or Scotland?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I'm curious about something.  If it's OK for the likes of Fiji, Tonga and Samoa why is it not OK for Ireland or Scotland?

Maybe it does work for Ireland and Scotland. My views are my own, I don't represent Irish RL. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 18/06/2021 at 15:06, Keith989 said:

As an Irish fan, I understand this take and actually share the sentiments somewhat. Interested mainly to see what a stalwart like Corcoran can do, and whether he sticks to his idea of picking players who plan to be available more frequently.

Edited by StandOffHalf

On 18/06/2021 at 19:47, Mr Frisky said:

The difference is that union has a strong domestic set up and a lot of interest. Ireland/Scotland are not like the Pacific nations. There is genuine interest in those countries and among the diaspora in Aus/NZ.

6 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Ireland being able to get Keary, Lodge Nikorima brothers, Harper, Finucane and Curran will be huge, as they won't play for Australia or NZ. Also apparently Jai Field is eligible if all play have a decent chance of making it of the group. 

Field and Nikorima bros not eligible. Generation too far.