World Athletics Championships

This is a must-watch for Rugby League fans. More empty seats to count than in your wildest dreams!

A shame, as there have been some great performances and there's plenty more to come. On the downside, the conditions are not good for athletic endeavour. When you hold the marathon in the middel of the night and still the entire Ethiopian team drops out (as well as many others requiring medical attention), this is maybe not a great place to hold a sporting event.

It'll be interesting to see how the FIFA World Cup fares in the same country. Still, I suppose the people responsible for the decision were more than happy with the contents of their brown envelopes.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, DavidM said:

I used to watch a fair bit of athletics but dunno if it’s just a perception or not but it doesn’t seem as popular as it once was . 

It still gets big crowds, but not in Qatar. Plus the retirement of Usain Bolt has hit the sport's profile a bit.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

This is a must-watch for Rugby League fans. More empty seats to count than in your wildest dreams!

A shame, as there have been some great performances and there's plenty more to come. On the downside, the conditions are not good for athletic endeavour. When you hold the marathon in the middel of the night and still the entire Ethiopian team drops out (as well as many others requiring medical attention), this is maybe not a great place to hold a sporting event.

It'll be interesting to see how the FIFA World Cup fares in the same country. Still, I suppose the people responsible for the decision were more than happy with the contents of their brown envelopes.

Hasn't this been dealt with on another thread, stupid? Or can't be bothered to read?

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Hasn't this been dealt with on another thread, stupid? Or can't be bothered to read?

Post a link to the other World Athletics Championship thread, please.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Post a link to the other World Athletics Championship thread, please.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/345598-cheap-tickets-and-empty-stadiums/page/16/&tab=comments#comment-4209698

Page 16

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Ah, on page 16 of a thread in the Rugby League section, instead of the AOB/AOS forum. Can't think how that one passed me by...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A lot more crowd noise and atmosphere for the longer distance races. The Ethiopian and Kenyan fans turn out for their athletes, and suddenly the stadium feels alive... for a while, anyway.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Oh, and another reason to watch...

EFeE0rdWkAIRZcY?format=jpg&name=900x900

She came fourth so I hope you’re on your way out there to comfort her

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A dominating win for Warholm in the 400H. Some superb talent left in his wake.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, we got ourselves a Gold! Dina Asher-Smith dominates the 200m.

And also Katerina Johnson-Thompson takes a decent lead into day 2 of the Heptathlon.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

And also Katerina Johnson-Thompson takes a decent lead into day 2 of the Heptathlon.

Dominates is right . And good to see three Americans straining like heck to get anywhere close

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Dominates is right . And good to see three Americans straining like heck to get anywhere close

And, for all the talk about who didn't make the final, you have to make the final to win it, and only Shaunae Miller-Uibo (who's doing the 400m instead) would have been capable of running a similar time to Dina.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/10/2019 at 21:18, Futtocks said:

KJT got her gold, and the British record!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ve really enjoyed the BBC coverage of the championship, excellent pictures and commentaries with plentiful and knowledgable insight from the on-site experts Denise Lewis, Michael Johnson, Jess Ennis and my personal favourite Daley Thompson, how does he get away with wearing an Adidas outfit every day? They must be paying him a fortune.

Many questions about the hosts and the crowd, but the actual athletics has delivered the goods every day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great silver for GB in the women's 4x100 relay, but the close-up on the Chinese team's final handover was truly cringe-inducing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

chinese team's final handover was truly cringe-inducing.

yes but M.Johnson explained it was good coaching!

GB&NI in the 400m male final  by another's disqualification.  Strange to see us struggle in that event.

Brilliant results for Dina and KJT  - who is more steely than she appears given her big championship history of DQ etv..

Archived