Twin Towns.

Twin towning has been around since 1905, when Keighley twinned with Suresnes and Puteaux in France, the first modern Twinning was Keighley and Poix-du-Nord.

This was used to foster close relations between towns and city;s between countries. Where you live, do you know where there twin city is? Have you ever been?

I Grew up in Salford, it's twin is Clermont-Ferrand, and I have visited there. Anyone one else made the effort, either deliberately or accidentally?

Hastings = 

Bethune (FRA)

Dordrecht (NL)

Oudenaarde (BEL)

Schwerte (GER)

Sierra Leone

Coventry has twinning with

Europe.

Anthem, Belgrade, Bologna, Caen, Cork, Dresden, Dunaujvaros, Galati,  Graz, Kecskemet, Kiel, Lidice, Ostrava, Saint-Etienne, Sarajevo, Volvograd, Warsaw.

North America

Cornwall Canada, Coventry Connecticut, Coventry New York, Granby Canada, Kingstone Jamaica, Windsor Canada

Asia

Jinan China

Australia

Parkes NSW 

As you can see the best job in the council is in the twinning department.

Some years ago I went as part of the England Lionhearts party to Belgrade. I contacted the council to let them know I was going. The person I spoke to had never heard of Belgrade. When I pointed out that the city theatre was named the "Belgrade" ( the wood for the building was donated by the citizens of Belgrade) she was amazed!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

The toilets in St Albans have been twinned with toilets in Myanmar, Pakistan, Sierra Leone and Zambia .  

Sub dean of St Albans Cathedral Abi Thompson was presented with four framed certificates, which include a photograph of the overseas toilet. 

https://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/st-albans-cathedral-toilet-twinning-project-1-6227251

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

20 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Twin towning has been around since 1905, when Keighley twinned with Suresnes and Puteaux in France, the first modern Twinning was Keighley and Poix-du-Nord.

This was used to foster close relations between towns and city;s between countries. Where you live, do you know where there twin city is? Have you ever been?

I Grew up in Salford, it's twin is Clermont-Ferrand, and I have visited there. Anyone one else made the effort, either deliberately or accidentally?

Hastings = 

Bethune (FRA)

Dordrecht (NL)

Oudenaarde (BEL)

Schwerte (GER)

Sierra Leone

There's a Sureness Road in Keighley and theres a few places around the town where I'm sure fraternising with the clientele would lead to the Poix?

Leeds is twinned with Brno (Czech Republic), Dortmund, Durban, Hangzhou, Lille, Louisville and Siegen.

Of which I only really know of Dortmund because of Dortmund Square next to the St John's Centre and the drayman statue, presented to the city by Dortmund and which used to be the place we'd meet/regroup in town before we had mobile phones.

e8f68755-638c-421f-ad72-556b8a52ae24_l.JPG

10 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Hull is twinned with:

Chisinau

Freetown

Niigata

Raleigh

Reykjavik

Rotterdam

Szczecin

According to Wikipedia. I know a couple of them but was surprised it was such a long list. 

You can see the link with most of them cos they are ports but Chisinau and Raleigh are random. 

Raleigh is probably linked because Ullman's always on his bike, Reykjavik is obvious as there's an Iceland store at the top of my street and as for one of the others, it could be Rotterdam (or anywhere).

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Liverpool is twinned with Beirut,down town bogota on a Friday night and the Wild West circa 1840 ???

Liverpool with Birmingham, Alabama, 

Panama City, Panama

Surabaya, Indonesia

according to WIKI

17 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

Halifax is twinned with Aachen.

This I didn't know - I've been to Aachen a few times as the company I work for has an office there and that's where my boss is based, weirdly enough. It's a good town with an impressive historic centre.

Bradford is twinned with the German city of Hamm. I've never been there.

We have a road in the city centre named Hamm Strasse though, and I've driven up and down it a lot! ? ?

I found an interesting old article online from the Telegraph & Argus that has a bit more background info, plus details of twinning arrangements involving Shipley and other nearby areas.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/9540739.have-we-lost-touch-with-twin-towns/

4 hours ago, Click said:

https://lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcouncil/aboutthecouncil/internationallinks/twin-towns

Lewisham is twinned with:

Antony, France - Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany & Matagalpa, Nicaragua so we have a bit of a mix!

I lived in Charlottenburg at one time! For people that don't know, it's a district of Berlin, sandwiched between Berlin mitte (centre) and Spandau. Loved it, really relaxed atmosphere, great place to just have a wander through the streets.

Main highlights are Schloss Charlottenburg, a huge palace and the Berlin Olympic stadium. Couple of lesser known sights that are interesting are teufelsburg which is an old American listening station from the Cold War, abandoned now, grafitti artists have covered it in pictures, up in top of a hill you get some unbelievable views of Berlin. And the funkturm which is the lesser known communications tower in Berlin. People known the fernsehturm built by the Soviets but further out of the centre is the radio transmitter built in the 20s. You could argue the funkturm is the better one cos you get great views of the fernsehturm from it. Lots of forests and hill in that area of the city, great for walking. 

I go back to Berlin every couple of years and never get bored of it, amazing place. Get yourself to Berlin now! 

13 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Raleigh is probably linked because Ullman's always on his bike, Reykjavik is obvious as there's an Iceland store at the top of my street and as for one of the others, it could be Rotterdam (or anywhere).

I think it goes back to an Operation Raleigh ship stopping off at Hull a few years back.

But I like your explanation better.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Congleton, Cheshire was or is twinned with Oosterhout, NL and Trappes. F

The people from Oosterhout used to come over regularly and I well remember quite a few of them staggering up West Road in the early hours consumed with the demon drink. ???

It's all died out now, I think, though. 

The village in which I now live on the Lincs coast is twinned with some crematorium somewhere. ???????

11 hours ago, henage said:

Wasn't the ship an old Hull Trawler ?

Well remembered, mate. According to the Hull History Centre website, the old stern trawler Swanella was donated by the City of Hull and renamed Sir Walter Raleigh.

http://catalogue.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/files/c-tlor.pdf

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived