Twin Towns.

6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Rovrum is twinned with St Quentin, Aisne France.

I can't think of anything more absurd.

You sure it isn't San Quentin, California? 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 02/10/2019 at 13:58, Just Browny said:

You sure it isn't San Quentin, California? 

San Quentin, California sits just under the western end of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, (Google map it) if you were alluding to the State penitentiary, then that is different. 

Porirua City, New Zealand

• partner since 1984

• is situated on the west coast of the North Island, just north of Wellington, New Zealand’s capital city

• the City has approximately 54,100 residents and offers a variety of water sports, plus numerous cycle ways and walkways.

Suseong-Gu, Daegu City, Republic of Korea

• partner since 1994

• is situated on the south-east of the Korean Peninsula 300 kilometres from the capital city of Seoul.

• the city has approximately 460,000 residents and occupies an area of around 76.47km.

Liaocheng City, Shandong Province, Peoples Republic of China

• partner since 2003

• is situated about 400 kilometres south of Beijing and is known as the ‘Water City’

• over 1.2m people live in its metropolitan area

• is a State Level historical and cultural city with 2,500 years of history.

Liverpool Plains Shire Council, NSW

• partner since 2005

• is situated 360 kilometres from Blacktown in the North West of NSW

• has a population of over 7,000 people and is primarily an agricultural region

• the Council Administrative Centre is situated in Quirindi, the main town in the shire.

League of Cities of the Philippines

• partner since 2010

• has over 143 cities as members of the League

• each city is represented by its Mayor.

Chesterfield is twinned with Darmstadt in Germany. I go there a lot for work meetings.

Does anyone know what actually happens with twinning? 

Edit: Here's some stuff.

https://www.chesterfield.gov.uk/your-council/your-chesterfield/twinning-links/darmstadt-germany.aspx

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 2 weeks later...

The 'real' Whitby is twinned with, inter alia, Whitby, Ontario.

When I was at Bolton School, it was twinned with Le Lycee Blaise Pascal, in Clermont Ferrand.  I went on a school trip there.

Good to see a reference above to toilet twinning - great way for us in the developed world to help in the provision of safe, hygenic, private ablution space - something we usually take for granted.

Ah, WWD, so it was YOUR parents who insisted on parking with engine running in Tudor Avenue outside my in-laws house!!!!

Blaise Pascal!  I guest lectured a few times at International Business School Université Blaise Pascal around 2004. My lectures are still remembered!

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

Ah, WWD, so it was YOUR parents who insisted on parking with engine running in Tudor Avenue outside my in-laws house!!!!

Blaise Pascal!  I guest lectured a few times at International Business School Université Blaise Pascal around 2004. My lectures are still remembered!

Not guilty, m'lud!

My typical journey to school was (a) lift with my dad from home in Astley to Atherton, (b) Lancs United Transport route 82 to Bolton, and (c) walk up to school.  Returning home was fairly similar, but I sometimes caught the Bolton Corporation service into town, and then, after getting off the 82, had to get home from Atherton.  I cannot recall the number of the LUT service from Atherton to Tyldesley (original Northern Union members, incidentally), but from there to Astley was either a 30 or 35, I seem to recall.

On the journey to school, we could tell if we were on time or late on our way into Atherton in dad's car by whether the pithead wheel was still turning or had finished doing so!

Wigan is twinned with Angers in France.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived