Featherstone in SL? What's the game plan?

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Wishful thinking, I suspect.

Given a choice of a two or three year deal with a solid SL club versus a one-year deal with Featherstone, and further year(s) with strings (which means less money), I don't see many players signing. Why would they? 

I'm afraid those sort of contracts are going to attract players who can't get a deal elsewhere - which is why Derek Beaumont had to hand out 2 year deals to players when Leigh were promoted.

He handed them out to players after we were relegated , then decided they weren't worth them 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Wakefield had to get to that level. They had to get promoted and build themselves to that level.

Clubs like widnes and Leigh have tried to do that and failed, fev haven't even been good enough to try. 

The sad fact of the matter is, to be an SL club as good as wakefield who arent good enough is really really difficult and has proven beyond most clubs in the lower leagues

Lol at "Fev havent even been good enough to try"...Fev finished top of the league 4 times in a row but promotion/ relegation wasn't around at the time.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Wakefield had to get to that level. They had to get promoted and build themselves to that level.

Clubs like widnes and Leigh have tried to do that and failed, fev haven't even been good enough to try. 

The sad fact of the matter is, to be an SL club as good as wakefield who arent good enough is really really difficult and has proven beyond most clubs in the lower leagues

Wakefield had years of being safe from the drop due to licensing while Rovers were consistently winning the league below but never allowed to give it a try nowt to do with not being good enough. Wakefield are a poor SL team in a Dump of a ground surviving on sky money.  Had they been in our position they would no longer exist.   

Leigh and Widnes are a bad comparison,  both have had financial problems as championship teams and are nowhere near as well run as Rovers.  They run by one guy with cash and haven’t had to learn to survive. 

Look at what Fev have achieved with a fraction of the cash wakey have had,  we have consistently put out a competitive team while developing our ground.  I’m sure with an extra 1.8m a year it would be put to good use and we would be competitive with the lower half of SL

5 hours ago, ov fev said:

Wakefield had years of being safe from the drop due to licensing while Rovers were consistently winning the league below but never allowed to give it a try nowt to do with not being good enough. Wakefield are a poor SL team in a Dump of a ground surviving on sky money.  Had they been in our position they would no longer exist.   

Leigh and Widnes are a bad comparison,  both have had financial problems as championship teams and are nowhere near as well run as Rovers.  They run by one guy with cash and haven’t had to learn to survive. 

Look at what Fev have achieved with a fraction of the cash wakey have had,  we have consistently put out a competitive team while developing our ground.  I’m sure with an extra 1.8m a year it would be put to good use and we would be competitive with the lower half of SL

Wakey should have never been allowed into Super League with the dump of a ground.

Without  DR Fev would have never got to the Championship grand final and shouldn't be allowed to play any DR players in the grand final.

6 hours ago, ov fev said:

Aw, didums.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

7 hours ago, ov fev said:

Wakefield have been safe by virtue of never finishing bottom of the league. 

But nevertheless, the idea that Wakefield is the beacon to aspire to is frankly tragic. 

12 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Wakefield have been safe by virtue of never finishing bottom of the league. 

But nevertheless, the idea that Wakefield is the beacon to aspire to is frankly tragic. 

Maybe they aspire to be like Leeds , but they'll not do that straight away , so you take it in stages , one of those stages is Wakefield 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Maybe they aspire to be like Leeds , but they'll not do that straight away , so you take it in stages , one of those stages is Wakefield 

Relegation strugglers too? Should be achievable. Look I'd love to see Fev in SL but the sniping is getting tiresome. Yes the ground is adequate, a palace compared to BV before anyone starts,  and have done well in a part time environment, but lets not pretend that the SL funding that Trinity have had over the past 20 years would would be used on anything other than full time wages had it been Fev that for promoted in 1999. Chances also are they be facing the same issues Trinity have by trying to stay in the top flight. They may have even lost the assets they so brag about now. 

Anyhow I'll be shouting for them on Saturday, and if they win then they can finally lose the small time village mentally. 

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The sc doesnt pretty much cover what clubs are spending on wages. It's probably about a million below what clubs are actually spending on wages. 

Clubs are fielding 30-35 players a season, that's how leeds can lend players to fev 

Its about 175k short of what clubs are spending on 1st team player wages. If a Club fields 35 players, all 35 players wages must come in under 2 million!!!! Except two marquee players, any players u21 and any players on 20k or less!!!! 

The point been though, how are Rovers gonna be offering 'tiny' amounts as you made out? Competitive to other SL Clubs? 

10 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Is there some reason why a lot of Featherstone supporters seem to feel the need to start posts with the phrase 'You do know that....'?

To be honest, it comes across as just a tad supercilious - especially when it's followed by a statement that every poster of RL Fans knows about!

You do know that we're not all like that, don't you?

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I think the point is that they should aspire to be like Featherstone. But this constant holding up of "the worst case scenario" as some sort of barometer is small time, chippy and a little sad. It's the sort of mentality that is likely a big part of why this sport hasn't grown whilst the ones around us have moved on. 

41 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Now you know how us Rhinos fans feel when we play you and Cas!

To be fair, although we all have a laugh when Leeds lose and are performing badly, I don't think even the most blinkered Trinity or Cas fan would starting proclaiming how much better we are than Leeds as a club.

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Its about 175k short of what clubs are spending on 1st team player wages. If a Club fields 35 players, all 35 players wages must come in under 2 million!!!! Except two marquee players, any players u21 and any players on 20k or less!!!! 

The point been though, how are Rovers gonna be offering 'tiny' amounts as you made out? Competitive to other SL Clubs? 

£2m of the salary cap is just the start of it. 

Leeds and Wigan both paid out £4.4m in wages and salaries last year. St Helens paid out £4.3m, although that appears to include matchday staff that other clubs tend to oursource. (At a glance, those are the only three clubs that do / are required to file full accounts, although the unaudited accounts of other clubs (the Hull clubs and Castleford) suggests that employee numbers are around the same).

Start throwing in the full time commercial, community, media and administrative staff and the Sky funding barely scratches the surface. 

38 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

To be fair, although we all have a laugh when Leeds lose and are performing badly, I don't think even the most blinkered Trinity or Cas fan would starting proclaiming how much better we are than Leeds as a club.

It was only partly tongue in cheek mate I know what you mean

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

£2m of the salary cap is just the start of it. 

Leeds and Wigan both paid out £4.4m in wages and salaries last year. St Helens paid out £4.3m, although that appears to include matchday staff that other clubs tend to oursource. (At a glance, those are the only three clubs that do / are required to file full accounts, although the unaudited accounts of other clubs (the Hull clubs and Castleford) suggests that employee numbers are around the same).

Start throwing in the full time commercial, community, media and administrative staff and the Sky funding barely scratches the surface. 

Of course the 1st team squad player costs are the start of it, Appreciate the info, but I was replying to a comment made, claiming Fev would pay out 'tiny amounts' on unstable contracts. 

When we are about to watch Salford go to a SL Grand Final qualifier that they have a real chance of winning, I think it's patronizing to tell clubs they can't aspire to anything more than pottering around in the Championship.

There are ways and means to become a decent SL club. Fev are never going to have the biggest crowds or highest revenue in the division but they could quite easily pull together a decent squad with a decent coaching team and have a run at, occasionally make the play-offs, have a cup run etc. You are only ever a couple of shrewd signings and a good coach away as teams like Salford, Wakey and Cas have proved in recent years. That's the beauty of sport, at least it is for me.

It's not easy but it will be fun watching if we do get the chance. London were great value this year with basically a Championship squad, 500 fans and playing in a park. Lighten up folks, just enjoy the ride, whether it's Fev or Toronto it's an interesting story and should be a lot of fun. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Sounds like the club has repaired the damage done during the Nahaboo days. If the club does meet the criteria for promotion to SL, then the plan has to be for sustainability. 

Still waiting to find out what the criteria is!!! 

26 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Still waiting to find out what the criteria is!!! 

The intelligentsia and sagacious who run Super League have different criteria for different clubs.

Who ever wins the Championship Grand final will have to meet the criteria that will be made up on the day after they win 

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The intelligentsia and sagacious who run Super League have different criteria for different clubs.

Who ever wins the Championship Grand final will have to meet the criteria that will be made up on the day after they win 

I'm sure you would not post something like that unless you had incontrovertible proof that was the case. 

Archived